Monster Generation

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

MathGeek
Novice
Novice

Monster Generation

Post by MathGeek »

I'm not a fan of random monster spawing. I've played "Crossfire" and really liked the monster creation system they used. All monsters had generators that would create monsters, and the monsters would move out from the generator. The Generator could be destoryed with some effort, and would give a lot of experience compared to the creatures that it spawns.

This would be good because:
- It would reduce unfortunate death due to random spawing while players are weak.
- It would lend itself to questing. eg. Destroy Blob queen.
- It's more realistic.
- monsters can be generators. Blobs divide. Mice breed.

Problems would be:
- re-creating generators.
- preventing excessive spawning.
- may not mesh with current system.

I like the idea of a Giant Ant Hill that would have an Ant Queen that would produce multiple types of ant. Worker Ants would leave the central area, while Soldiers would guard the queen. This would let characters encounter weak monsters first, but make killing the queen difficult.

Any feedback would be welcome.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

- monsters can be generators. Blobs divide. Mice breed.
I wouldlike to see mice fuc**ing in the game :mrgreen: and having children. :wink:
re-creating generators.
The way i see it that problem affects the current behaviour. AFAIK it bein discussed how to re-spawn monsters.
- preventing excessive spawning.
I think this is almost the same as above. Once you get to explain how to re-spawn, you have to set rules about how it does it, i mean, there has to be a script or something with a countdown to next spawn or something.
I like the idea of a Giant Ant Hill
Me too :wink:
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
criptos
Novice
Novice

Or at least, something that announce the monster spawning

Post by criptos »

Could be a cloud, a hole opening, so the player can flee from the place.

A simple creation sprite could come handy...

And there could be "mother" monsters...

I like the Idea
May the Source be With You
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I don't think a single "creation" sprite would be the best idea...however, we could add creation sprites to each monsterset; hold on to a small set (two or three) of generic creation animations that can be used in a pinch, and otherwise use creation sprites that make sense for the particular monster. For example, most of the desert monsters (snakes, scorpions, maggots) could burrow up out of the ground, since such animals do that in real life. The slimes could, perhaps, seep up from the ground (or out of the air) as a mass of small bits of goo, then form together into the one larger blob.

It's easy to just make the monsters appear there, but it's a bit of a cop-out most of the time; although this is a game steeped in magic, just explaining everything away with "it was magic!" is a bit cheap, particularly when there are more logical methods that work just as well.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I dont know if I like this...

and if so wouldnt want it to be able to be destroyed

guess you could have like eggs that can be destroyed and they hatch eventually and have monsters come out for some and other ways for others or whatever to be more realistic
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

How about storks fly over all the time and drop baby-monsters that grow into adult ones?
...just kidding. (just in case someone would take it serious)

I the spawn-anim/emerging option is the best solution. Monster specific would be cool, but that's a lot of work. Maybe we could reuse some animations or replace the standard animation if we get to it.
Ofcourse we could have queen-monsters besides that, but I think we should avoid static monster-factories.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io