Land of Fire TMW is online!

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Land of Fire TMW is online!

Post by Pihro »

There is a new server online, location is landoffire.no-ip.org, it has some new content and items, and new maps and quests are coming soon!
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: Land of Fire TMW is online!

Post by Len »

The brutal truth is that carbon copy servers just never work (even with new content incentives), sure you'll get a few of your friends to come hang out for a little while...Till they get sick of being alone and go back to TMW that is. The game-play and graphics need to be totally different to gain a new following (you could have much faster game-play easy to kill monsters but also a lot easier to die) and as for graphic so many tilesets and items remain unused that with very little effort you could make a completely different looking game.
Pixel Battalion
Techron
Novice
Novice

Post by Techron »

Thanks for the information but I will not be visiting your server. The number one reason I will not play on another Mana World is stability. Why would I invest hundreds of hours of play time in a character on a server that may not be there tomorrow? Both Serenity and Alternate had good content but they are gone now with never much more explanation than "Cannot connect to remote host".

Techron
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Good luck with your server. Feel free to add it to the wiki page of alternative servers:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Servers

(By the way: that page looks like it could use some cleanup)

But I also agree with Len. It's sad that every server is build on the same old content. The tmwAthena Server + Mana Client + Tiled Mapeditor software stack is a Free plattform which allows to create whole new online worlds. People could use it to create their own individual worlds to explore with unique lore and scenarios. But instead of that they just use it to create carbon copies of TMW. Seriously, who needs that? When you want to do the same old quests on the same old maps, you can just play the original.

The freely available TMW content files should be used as an example for how to build an own world, but they are not supposed to be used as a template.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Post by Pihro »

Thank you all for commenting :) and yes, I understand that we may never may have more than 5-8 players, but since starting it I have learned enough to start a new world from studying the content, like a guideline. For now it is a copy of the mana world, but I am working on mapping an entirely new world. It may be a while but thank you for commenting and sharing your opinions :)
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

In my opinion it would be much more awesome if you would take the time and effort you are using on your private server to contribute to the main server. We could really use some content developers and if you can do it why not just help on the main server. It's true it takes time until something is released to the main server but then you entertain hundreds of people with it and they aknowledge you for it.
I would enjoy that much more if I had the expertiece to do that.

so far tuX
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

tux9th wrote:In my opinion it would be much more awesome if you would take the time and effort you are using on your private server to contribute to the main server. We could really use some content developers and if you can do it why not just help on the main server. It's true it takes time until something is released to the main server but then you entertain hundreds of people with it and they aknowledge you for it.
I would enjoy that much more if I had the expertiece to do that.

so far tuX
why not just help on the main server
The main server is kinda of set in its ways, and many do not like the direction its been on. Also note that a new server with a vastly different look and gameplay, might be able to pull-in people who wouldn't touch TMW.
Pixel Battalion
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Post by Pihro »

Our new maps are online! A Dark World version of hurns, with mobs like Black Slimes, Lava Slimes, Treasure Boxes, Penguins, and Snow Flakes! New quests coming soon, talk to the teleporter in hurns if you want to see the Dark Hurns!
Attachments
ManaPlus_Screenshot_1.png
ManaPlus_Screenshot_1.png (217.02 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

You can exploit the towels by selling them for 500gp and going back to get another (if I set up my ghost mouse I could have about 6mill in a few hours)

Also inverting the colors is not really giving you the look your going for (you should probably use an overlay instead).
Pixel Battalion
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Post by Pihro »

i am aware of this, and thank you :) how exactly wouldi get an overlay?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Pihro wrote:i am aware of this, and thank you :) how exactly wouldi get an overlay?
It's described in the mapping tutorial in the section "ambient effects":
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... nt_effects

Regarding your dark world idea: just converting the tilesets to negative might be an easy hack, but it results in some strange details, like white outlines or areas like the cave which are already dark to suddenly becomming very bright.

I would recommend to play a bit with the color curves, hue, saturation, brightness and contrast of the individual color channels instead. That might allow you to radically change the mood of a tileset without making it look strange.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tehTomphaA

Post by tehTomphaA »

I've played on this server a couple days now and I think I enjoy a bit more than the Original mana server (clearly because of the new content) and I'm happy that your doing it, even if it would be cooler to enjoy these updates on a server that has 100s of players... Now just waiting for new quests, Keep it up!
Pihro
Peon
Peon

Post by Pihro »

thank you Crush :) I will look into that.
DarkCon
Newly Registered User

Post by DarkCon »

I agree with the others on helping the main server, Herd of stone soup!
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

DarkCon wrote:Herd of stone soup!
:lol: TMW's problem is not that it's an empty pot waiting to be filled with goods.

TMW's problem is more like this Image
Sure it would be a nice if you fixed it up, but the cost of doing so is so much more than its worth and you would just be better off starting from scratch. :wink:
Pixel Battalion