Options that shouldn't be

Development discussions for Manaplus (Evol's official client) and alternative clients.
jak1
Developer
Developer

Re: Options that shouldn't be

Post by jak1 » 24 May 2020, 09:06

jesusalva wrote:
23 May 2020, 22:13
jak1 wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:25
Hocus Pocus Fidibus wrote:
22 May 2020, 09:18
A shortcut to switch between different configurations (can be setup by user) would be nice.
E.g.:
Config 1: No icons, no healthbars, no floating names ... nothing.
Config 2: attack range indicator for players and monsters, mapview ultra 2, healthbars
Config 3: Guild Icons and Names

An additional key to temporary enable one of the configs while a key is pressed would be useful, too: Sitting in town with config 1. Want to know the names of the players around you and to which party they belong etc.: as long as you keep "default-config" pressed: config 3 is shown.
hmm, sounds nice :D
MORE SHORTCUTS D: D: D: D: D:

Personally, I would have these cool settings as things which you could drag'n'drop to the shortcut window >__>
(Actually I would even have the emotes drag'n'drop to the shortcut window, and use Alt modifier to change pages, but whatever xD jak1 is the one coding stuff, so he is the one with "decisory" power over it)
u know, some keybindings get removed (most unused / not 'noob' friendly)
2 new keys get bound, and i remove some defaults, to ->not be disapointed as noob if u hit "H" (hides the whole GUI)
u can rebind em, if u need em, but it shouldnt be a default on a single key, without modifier :roll:

shift+Functionkeys (shortcut tabs)

@}->--- ---<-{@

jesusalva
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jesusalva » 24 May 2020, 16:44

jak1 wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:06
jesusalva wrote:
23 May 2020, 22:13
jak1 wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:25

hmm, sounds nice :D
MORE SHORTCUTS D: D: D: D: D:

Personally, I would have these cool settings as things which you could drag'n'drop to the shortcut window >__>
(Actually I would even have the emotes drag'n'drop to the shortcut window, and use Alt modifier to change pages, but whatever xD jak1 is the one coding stuff, so he is the one with "decisory" power over it)
u know, some keybindings get removed (most unused / not 'noob' friendly)
2 new keys get bound, and i remove some defaults, to ->not be disapointed as noob if u hit "H" (hides the whole GUI)
u can rebind em, if u need em, but it shouldnt be a default on a single key, without modifier :roll:

shift+Functionkeys (shortcut tabs)
For the record, I was using KVirc, which hides the whole GUI if you press "Ctrl+H", iirc.
Knowing that users 9/10 times are using this by accident, they actually show up a confirmation box:
Pressing `Ctrl+H` will hide the whole GUI of KVIrc. You can press `Ctrl+H` again, at any time, to unhide.
Are you sure you want to do this?

[ ] Don't ask again
[Y]/[N]
Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
jak1
Developer
Developer

Post by jak1 » 24 May 2020, 18:17

hmm nice idea :D

@}->--- ---<-{@

EJlol
Developer
Developer

Post by EJlol » 25 May 2020, 07:54

Another small UI note: When possible, try not to use yes/no (or ok/cancel) in dialogs, as many people don't even read the question properly and just answer quickly what they think has been asked... It's better to use hide/'keep visible' as buttons.

Some more reading about it:
https://uxplanet.org/primary-secondary- ... 6df9b36150
Ledmitz
Developer
Developer

Post by Ledmitz » 29 May 2020, 14:58

I find my badge a bit annoying now, but it's my fault for making it and enabling all badges and many options are available for a player in settings, though options are a bit confusing. I made the post from a quest writers perspective. Many things that are possible with hercules and even eathena become irrelevant when the client is able to bypass things that no player needs to. My #1 beef is with map layering because it makes it harder to hide things and even players and let's not forget the art is there to be seen, not ignored. The other things I mentioned were to do with already existing spells like inwilt becoming useless because of client options.

Other options are great to enable and disable based on preferences, but some things should be hard coded for most players, but I'm not the one doing it. It's just a suggestion, but one I think makes a lot of sense, but I'll be playing anyway, regardless of my opinion.

The rest of the stuff, like social tab are handy to use, but if one watches the game closely, you can tell who is getting the most damaged without a social tab. I would love it in a mech game or any simulator to see who is where and what is coming like a radar or basic blackbox info, etc, but that type of technology isn't in TMW, so why have a screen emulating a gauge from a more sim-like game? It's just a logical thing to me, but if players use it a lot and love it or if client dev/s want it in, then so be it, but I think logic goes a long way. I just don't see why Ledmitz wearing armour is able to know info on all characters around him, even though he casts no spell to find that out. If it can't be explained in the game, it seems cheap. We don't see these things in commercial games for a reason. Even the online list is a bit much. The #world channel in ML makes it irrelevant to a point. It's not my business that jak1 is online. If he wants to respond to me in a world chat or whisper, that's his business. IDT I should be able to hound him all day, every time I see him online, but the client allows me to do that (though it also allows jak1 to ignore me). No big deal and people don't like change and I use the online list a lot myself, but I know too much about who is on and not even as a regular player. If a player could hide from the list or chose to be seen... that is another ballgame. Just my privacy spiel on that.
Ledmitz = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Ardits = BoomBoom = KillerBee