Item names in client data translation mod

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

Do you like to keep item names in English?

Yes, is better to keep in English (like in the server side).
46%
No, I would like to have it translated into my language (I will not get confused)
54%

Total votes: 13
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Item names in client data translation mod

Post by nelson6e65 »

Note: This topic relates only to the item names in ManaPlus Translation MOD for TMW. Is not a discussion about server-data translation.

Some months ago, 4144 announced the client data translation mod.

It was great idea, breaking some language limitations but... Is very limited because the server will not be is not available in other languages than English. :/

I think the item names translated to other languages will confuse the players in game (NPC dialogs and quest, specially), at least the newbies one. (I hope a lot of new players lands in The Mana World in the next months. :mrgreen: )

That's why I make this poll, to know your opinion about this topic.

Please, vote. Your opinion maybe could be used by translators to normalize inter-language item names. At least, the spanish translators. :P

Note: If you speak Spanish, you can (also) check this Facebook Post of the comunity to leave your opinion and vote. :)

Spoiler in spanish:
Spoiler:
Aunque personalmente me gusta más tenerlo traducido, creo que es más útil en inglés. Aún así, seguiremos con la traducción al español del MOD, pero al fin al cabo, es un mod para jugadores y tomaré en cuenta tu opinión en cuanto a los nombres de artículos. :)
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
Scall
Peon
Peon

Re: Item names in client data translation mod

Post by Scall »

Hello everyone,

I think it could be a nice idea to translate item names, but I also think it is important that players know the original/English names, when using the translation mod. Not only for NPC dialogs, but this is extremely important for trading with players of other languages, as well. So, if it would be possibile, I think a line like in this example should be added:
[Translated item name], [Item ID]

English name: [Original item name]

[Description]
nelson6e65
Novice
Novice

Post by nelson6e65 »

Scall wrote:Hello everyone,

I think it could be a nice idea to translate item names, but I also think it is important that players know the original/English names, when using the translation mod. Not only for NPC dialogs, but this is extremely important for trading with players of other languages, as well. So, if it would be possible, I think a line like in this example should be added:
[Translated item name], [Item ID]

English name: [Original item name]

[Description]
Indeed. Or that, in chat, you can see the item name in english and in the tooltip when you clicked the name you see translated name in description popup... You should suggest it to 4144. :P
The Mana World - Comunidad Hispanohablante

"When we die, we go to the same place: Soul Menhir"nelson6e65
Edit: Well... Not anymore. u.u

nelson6e65: Image
Edward Elric: Image
Edward Elric (Hagane): Image
glag
Newly Registered User

Post by glag »

Item name translation is a very good thing for players who do not speak English perfectly. It helps them to understand what they are doing. This is why I voted for the translation of item names.

However, I think it's important for any non-English player to know the English name AND the translated name of items. The translated name allows you to understand what the item is, while the English name allows you to talk about that item to another player.

Ideally, I would like to be able to switch between the translation and the original English version at any moment (for item names, as well as for NPC dialogs). A nice way to do this would be to display the original English text (as a "mouseover text") when I put the mouse cursor over the translated text.
Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

I didn't vote, as I can't select both options in the ballot.

I agree with having both item names for the players. The reason I think both names for this is that it allows all players to be able to discuss things with one another, having the one item name as a reference, while at the same time, being able to understand what it is that they are hunting or describing. In the real world, the so-called "experts" decided they'd use Latin for binomial nomenclature under the same idea, but they still argue over what species etc animals are part of, over their never-ending arguments to support their own ideologies and seek funding...

...okay, and at times also due to genetic similarities, as opposed to having the same nose for example.

The point is, it would be good to have the names as stated above, having the translation in the players' home language, so that they know what it is, and that non-Latin characters can be used to describe the item in such languages as many of the Asian ones for instance or Hebrew and Arabic characters. It would open up a new world of players, and will probably be more easily found among gamers in these countries when searching the web.
_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")