[READ ME] Welcome to Dev Academy

Here you will find the tools to get you started. If you are new, inexperienced or just unfamiliar with what we do, this is the place to try your hand at creating content.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

[READ ME] Welcome to Dev Academy

Post by WildX »

This section is for learning anything related to development. You can post tutorials if you already have experience or you can post your own attempts at whatever you're working on. Ideally you will receive feedback, advice and guidance from our developers or any knowledgeable person who wishes to help you out.

You do not need any previous experience to post here. This section is strictly for learning. Nothing here is meant to go into the game unless we specifically choose to pick it up, in which case we will propose to move/continue it in the main development sections.

Things to remember before posting:
  • No question is a stupid question.
  • Developers are here out of their own free time, they are not required or expected to follow up on whatever they post here.
  • While some things might get to that stage, nothing in this section is intended to make it into the game. It's here for learning purposes.
  • This is s friendly environment. Any negative critique is not meant as an insult, but as a way to help you improve.
  • Hats are great, but try something new! :P

TMW Team member

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Re: [READ ME] Welcome to Dev Academy

Post by Speiros »

Hi. Thanks for the links. I'm a novice, but looking forward to learn.

What programs can be used to make tilesets and sprites?
_

Let me help you understand pirate talk.
Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

The main program used for anything pixel-art related around here is Gimp. Some devs have been known to use MS Paint or other free software. Gimp is by far the most advanced if you don't want to purchase things like Photoshop (which I don't recommend for what we do here as Gimp can handle it just fine).

Hopefully we can get some nice Gimp tutorials up in this section at some point, for now you should be able to find some pretty good stuff online and by browsing our Graphics Development section. :)

TMW Team member

Speiros
Novice
Novice
Location: Born in Candor, living as a nomad around Tulimshar and Woodland areas.

Post by Speiros »

WildX wrote:The main program used for anything pixel-art related around here is Gimp... :)
Beauty. I will have a play.
_

Arrrr!!! (The letter "R", and any other sentence or emotion imaginable, excepting the following ones); Arrrr!!! (angry "R"); Arrrr!!! (relaxed "Aaahh"); Arrrr!!! ("Man Overboard! Quick! Grab the ropes! Loosen the raft!"); Arrrr!!! ("What a lovely day! Sun shining..."); Arrrr!!! ("Oh no. Looks like more rain. Are our garments dry? Can we stop using them as a secondary sail yet?")
MichaelMiller
Peon
Peon

Post by MichaelMiller »

Here's a bunch of awesome pixel art tutorials:
http://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart
Speiros
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros »

MichaelMiller wrote:Here's a bunch of awesome pixel art tutorials:
http://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart
Thanks mate. That's a great article.
_

Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

This is for bumping, and in order to answer the initial question
What programs can be used to make tilesets and sprites?
and to collect some information for starting. So here the basic software I work with.
As reported by WildX, the actual pixel work is done with GIMP here. For tilesets, I recommend to link development with the usage of the mapping program, which is Tiled. Starting with existing maps, most of the functions are kinda self-explaining - however, if you need help, this forum is the place to ask :)
Second recommendation is SAE (Sprite Animation Editor) developed by Vasily. It is a highly useful tool for any kind of sprites, and in my opinion one of the best tools to make nice pixel art animations. You find the relevant forums post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=157512#p157512
If you have any kind of issues or questions, dont hesitate to ask here in forums or on our IRC-channel: #evol-dev.

Yours,
-Mick
HaloNott

Post by HaloNott »

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20447

Hello, I just saw this thread and I was wondering how one creates their own quest in code see? :alt-3: So if you could please do give me a few pointers so I can begin understanding that thread. Also is a sample anywhere in the gitlab page? https://gitlab.com/evol/clientdata

Also, I can't post the clouds.png file here? :| viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20751
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

You can find everything you need to develop here.

https://gitlab.com/evol/evol-all

The quests a.k.a. scripts can be found here.
https://gitlab.com/evol/serverdata/tree/master/npc

Joining the discord will allow you to contact devs directly to help you.
https://discord.gg/kZ5DymM
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.