Use this section for learners?

Here you will find the tools to get you started. If you are new, inexperienced or just unfamiliar with what we do, this is the place to try your hand at creating content.

Move certain topics here?

Poll ended at 18 Sep 2017, 12:06

Use this section for learners
60%
Keep learners in the main dev sections
40%

Total votes: 5
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Use this section for learners?

Post by WildX »

Things like this https://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtop ... 36&t=20256 are not actual development, but they are still very important as they allow people to improve their skills and eventually contribute to the actual game. This section should contain all these things so that development is kept clean and beginners have a place to go and learn from others' mistakes or expertise.

Poll runs for 7 days.

TMW Team member

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: Use this section for learners?

Post by EJlol »

I think using the Dev academy would be a good idea. I hope by splitting it, that it becomes clear for the learner that his pixelart isn't (immediately) going to be used in game, while still encouraging to finish the piece, and draw more. I also hope someday there will be tutorials here specific to TMW that teaches how to develop things.

EDIT: If this gets accepted, I also wish to have the ability to move topics to here :roll:
Last edited by EJlol on 11 Sep 2017, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: begging for more mod rights
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I completely agree. I'm also going to review the Developer group's mod rights.

EDIT: Devs can now perform all available actions on topics in the Develpment section (move, merge, split, close, delete, etc.).
Last edited by WildX on 11 Sep 2017, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Granting every wish

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Dev should not be able to have such rights IMO. EJ should have moderator access on the forum, that's all.
Also I am alright with that idea!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

It's not full mod access, it's limited to topic actions and only in the Dev section. I'll take it away if anybody abuses it. The intent is to allow devs to organise their topics however they prefer and keep the section clean from anything that isn't development related.
Reid wrote:Also I am alright with that idea!
So you're not the "no" vote? :P

TMW Team member

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

WildX wrote:So you're not the "no" vote? :P
Nope, I am.

Development is already really rare, I barely see any work posted on the forums. I even have to fight on IRC to push you guys to comment my work because I do need your advice to improve myself at pixel art. Until we have more developers showing up, cutting this forum section into two separate ones is pointless at this stage because it's already barely used : 0 x 2 = 0...

EDIT: Hey Reid, same number of forum posts :mrgreen: #1396
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

I don't think it is pointless, as it would give more clarity to starting developers. It will also makes it easier to find good threads back again, which we can point starters to.

I do read the pixel art threads daily. I also try to comment on most pixel art threads posted on the forums. I disagree with the "I do need your advice to improve myself at pixel art". Your art is quite difficult to reply to since it's already quite good quality. Most of time there is not much to comment on what can be improved in my opinion. If you want I can reply with a 'Looks good, keep on going!'-reply in the future though.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Alige wrote:
WildX wrote:So you're not the "no" vote? :P
Nope, I am.

Development is already really rare, I barely see any work posted on the forums. I even have to fight on IRC to push you guys to comment my work because I do need your advice to improve myself at pixel art. Until we have more developers showing up, cutting this forum section into two separate ones is pointless at this stage because it's already barely used : 0 x 2 = 0...

EDIT: Hey Reid, same number of forum posts :mrgreen: #1396
It's not about cutting the dev section, it's about separating something that isn't development from it.
You're the one dev who says they don't want to do anything except for very small jobs. There is plenty of things to be done, I don't think that because we have few active devs we should mix all the "tutorial" stuff with normal development.

Also what EJ says, you're already an experienced developer so most of your work is pretty much good to go. That's why your stuff should be separate from that of someone who needs a lot of advice and improvement.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

There are official development works and non-official development works. Marking the difference is a good idea IMO.
Although don't take that a distinction from devs and non-devs, some of my work could easily end up here when I want to try new stuff that are not directly linked to the development, same for anything that is not currently needed from anybody else.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

It's also good for keeping a bank of learning material. People will be able to browse this section to get all kinds of tips for their own work, the most useful stuff can be made sticky and turned into a proper tutorial.

Anyway, I think the best way to decide if this works is to try it out. If we don't like it we can always go back in a few months.

TMW Team member

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I guess the vote has passed. I will open this section for all users and make it functional. :D

TMW Team member