[FND] Maggot Slime Potion {Recovered}

Here you will find the tools to get you started. If you are new, inexperienced or just unfamiliar with what we do, this is the place to try your hand at creating content.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

[FND] Maggot Slime Potion {Recovered}

Post by WildX »

I did a moderator oopsie and accidentally deleted this thread by +seeds which also happens to be the first ever Dev Academy item to be finished and accepted into the game. I apologise again to +seeds for messing up and also congrats on the achievement!

This is a recovered log of the dearly beloved thread, R.I.P. (and thanks Freeyorp for the log).
Images are broken but I'll let +seeds post the final version of the item just so there's a record of it in this section. :)
Dev Academy • Maggot Slime Potion
Date:21/06/19 11:24 AM
Author:+seeds
I thought it might be fun to entertain the idea of a maggot slime potion, so I recolored the Tiny Mana Elixir to make it.Maybe this could be a giant maggot drop and give some small mana and HP bonus?

Hope you all like! 

slime_potion.png

Dev Academy • Re: Maggot Slime Potion
Date:21/06/19 7:10 PM
Author:EJlol
This is hardly offtopic, so I moved the topic to dev academy . I like the icon, but please note that recolours are actually not needed. We have a image dyeing system for that  Ofcourse if you alter the shape of the bottle, or add some leaking dripping slime to it than it would be perfect 

Date:23/06/19 12:36 PM
I've never made a gif before, and I'm not sure if I did this right.Hope it works 
Here's the WIP so far:
maggot_slime_potion.gif

Date:23/06/19 12:37 PM
How do I animate it? I have all the layers for it, but I can't seem to save it so it's animated. I did save it as a gif though 

Date:23/06/19 12:40 PM
Nevermind I figured it out 
Here's the WIP GIF:
maggot_slime_potion2.gif

Date:25/06/19 12:02 AM
Author:Livio
I drank one and then casted #manpahil. Now my stomach is pierced by a huge lifestone.

Date:25/06/19 12:50 AM
Author:jesusalva
I drank one and then casted #manpahil. Now my stomach is pierced by a huge lifestone.
Did you tried #lum right after? 
Nevermind I figured it out 
Here's the WIP GIF:
maggot_slime_potion2.gif
Looks cool! Although I dunno if we can have animated item icons...?

I know I can animate anything with a sprite - from NPC avatars, particle effects, NPCs, Monsters, Players, etc., but item icons are not sprites, so I wonder.

Even so, the last frame (with the poll of slime on the bottom) looks nice.

Date:25/06/19 1:13 AM
Hmm, seems you are right. If I understand http://manaplus.org/items.xml#Game_items correctly, the icon itself needs to be static image. However you can specify another image for when the item is on the floor, and that image can be animated.

I also like the frame with the slime on the bottom. In fact I would keep the pool of slime on all frames, and let the drop, drop into it. Anyway, keep up the good work! I really like it 

Also don't forget to post the spritesheet (basically the frames side by side), so that way we can see the frames individually (+ we will need it if we want to add it to the game).

Date:25/06/19 9:50 AM
A few new potions would be nice. Happy to add this to the game (new server where development goes) once Seeds is happy with it. It can also be added to the current server upon request, it's pretty easy to do so with an item that's already been made anyway. Great work! :D
I'd love if you would add it to the new and old servers when it's ready! :D :mrgreen:
Perhaps on the old server Caul could make it with a few slimes and an empty bottle, as well as it being in some shops?

I'm having a little trouble making a ripple effect on the small puddle, after the drop hits it.
If you guys think it looks good then this is the final, otherwise I will continue editing.
I'm not sure about it myself, but I don't know if I can make it better.
Here's the best I came up with:
maggot_slimepotion2.gif
Here's the spritesheet for the newest potion gif:
slime_gif_2_spritesheet.png

Date:25/06/19 7:00 PM
It looks good to me, I also don't know how to do it better :lol:
To add it to the server, it is best to contact people on IRC and join the channel #evol-dev. If you want to add it to the game yourself they can explain how to do that. You problably need a local server for it. You can find more information on the wiki (https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Dev:Main), however I do suggest to contact people on IRC first, as they know exactly what you will need / won't need. Installing the server is the hardest part, but you only need to do this once :wink:

Btw, if you want to develop more items/things, on IRC they problably can give you some ideas that are still needed for the game :wink:

Date:26/06/19 3:26 AM
It looks good to me, I also don't know how to do it better :lol:
I don't remember if We have Giant Maggots on test server... Anyway, once WildX says how he wants it in game design terms, I can code it in :>

Like, how much it should heal, rarity, other uses, etc.
Although given current balance, "I want it to be a weak healing item crafted by Wyara, by mixing two maggot Slimes and a Cactus Drink, which causes player to get 1% more exp for 30 seconds" is enough for me.

Date:26/06/19 4:29 AM
Author:WildX
Legacy: If you want it to be given out by an NPC as a sold item or as part of a quest, you need to DIY the code first. Adding it as a drop would be the fastest way to get this into the game.
Hercules: Seems like a good vendor item for Hurnscald general goods and maybe a rare drop from some humanoid mob, I'd like to keep manmade things like potions as items that are dropped by humanoids since it makes little sense for a maggot to carry a bottled potion with it. I'm not concerned with this in regards to Legacy because so many mobs drop items that don't make sense and it makes even less sense to try and fix that now.

Date:26/06/19 4:44 AM
I created an account on Kiwi IRC, but I can't figure out how to connect to evol-dev :(

Date:26/06/19 6:08 AM
Author:tomminator
https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.free ... emanaworld

Date:26/06/19 6:14 AM
Thanks, it works now I think, I don't know because I don't see any messages :D

Date:28/06/19 4:45 AM
I can't setup a server to add it to the game :(

Date:28/06/19 2:07 PM
Submited for review in serverdata!192 and clientdata!124 (rEvolt server)

Date:29/06/19 7:57 AM
Author:WildX
Thanks for the piece of content! It's on its way to the new server.
Have you decided how you want it added to Legacy? Easy way: as a vendor item; longer way: as a quest item.

I'm marking this thread as [FND] and leaving it here since it's the first Dev Academy item to make it into the game.

TMW Team member

+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [FND] Maggot Slime Potion {Recovered}

Post by +seeds »

Thanks WildX :D
Here's the final gif:
Final Maggot Slime Potion GIF
Final Maggot Slime Potion GIF
maggot_slimepotion2.gif (2.1 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Characters: +seeds, +plants, +roots, +leaves, many others :alt-3: