Poll: Should admins post a specific player's info publicly?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Should admins be allowed to post a specific player's info publicly?

Yes. No harm done. Doesn't matter if your specific personal information is on the forums or if that information is used to imply that you may wish to be punished or sanctioned.
59%
No. Player privacy matters. Admins may private msg the info to you, or discuss it with other admins, but not post it to the public forums.
41%

Total votes: 22
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Poll: Should admins post a specific player's info public

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Nard wrote:I recognize that my post will be seen a bit trolling but It seems necessary to me to post it to make you realize that you are a bit across the border here.
@madcamel, freeyorp, jaxad, o11c....

After your posts I think you have no more objection if I publish Argul's online list data here? and if I make some stats with them?

cf Argul's post in Mrgrey's poll
I have no objections to you posting stats about online times.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Jaxad0127 wrote:I have no objections to you posting stats about online times.
I gave a list of people with varied advices, not to direct the post against someone in particular. I expect no answer and do not want to restart past debates. Those who posted against that will recognize themselves, That's enough to me.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote: @madcamel, freeyorp, jaxad, o11c....

After your posts I think you have no more objection if I publish Argul's online list data here? and if I make some stats with them?
I have never had any objections.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Dunno why you're asking me.. I published a tool to collect such data in an sqlite database. I was hoping someone would eventually publish some useful statistics!

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 12&t=17347
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Please let me repeat myself,
Nard wrote:I gave a list of people with varied advices, not to direct the post against someone in particular. I expect no answer and do not want to restart past debates. Those who posted against that will recognize themselves, That's enough to me.
@MadCamel: This is a reason why I don't understand that much your reserves about making public the data which are manavis basis. They are much less sensitive than online data and some players, in former threads, thought that publishing a data set which could reveal their habits would be an attack to their privacy ...
Edit: I should have said "people who have varied opinions on the topic".
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

The online list is public and always has been. I don't think people would like it to be taken away. Since it's useful public data there are already people mining it for their own purposes(fact). Since it is public data and already being mined I see no point in limiting the results of such mining to a select group of people. Mine it publicly and everyone benefits instead of just those with the correct software.

When data is public one should *always* assume that someone is mining it for their own purposes. That's how the world works these days. There is a multi-billion dollar industry built around mining and correlating people's information. Anyone who has the ability and has a reason to will mine data if it's available. People are naive to think otherwise.

Because of this unpleasant fact, when making NEW data public one should always be very careful to minimize the privacy impact. I was not satisfied with the steps taken for manavis and the map-server logs. After some discussion my concerns were addressed and the data seems sufficiently anonymous now. I didn't believe that was possible to do while having manavis remain useful but I'm happy to be wrong.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Joseph^Sod
Newly Registered User

Post by Joseph^Sod »

"The purpose of this game is to have fun."

"a house divided cannot stand"

I voted yes! Frost is alright in my book!

if your not causing problems you shouldn't have anything to worry about... the admin was just doing his job....
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

blackrazor wrote: The incident occurred here:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=272

My response was here:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=274

Thanks.
I'm sorry blackrazor, but the information posted was already publicly available, meaning that nothing was posted that was private. As for the threatening to delete your account, it wasn't a threat by how I've read it, but a statement showing that yes, if wanted, he can do it for you, showing that regardless of the issue, you are free to ask him to do it (even though the air of the conversation might have been an uncomfortable response in comparison to what you were hoping for).

As much as it's uncomfortable mate, it's a case of having hurt feelings, and when we do this, we take an extreme view. I've done it before with things, because of not understanding what happened, and the explanations came too late, but I'd already jumped to conclusions. I think you might be doing the same, although not to the same extent as my one. Mine was a hissy fit based on the wiki, back in 2010. I only just deleted it recently :lol: But the point is I was wrong in my conclusions, regardless of my motive for thinking about why it happened.

Still, on the poll, the point of making private information public is not allowed, let alone whether it should or shouldn't be. I don't think this poll will change the laws governing private information.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)