several updates and improvements

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

several updates and improvements

Post by Alige »

Hello everyone,

after updating wiki and playing to tmw several times, I saw that warps (doors and openings...) did not make you appear at the right spot. For example, in Hurnscald, in the blacksmith's shop, we can see that outside, there is one door and inside it there are 2 doors... Moreover, in Candor, if we get out if the cave, we appear in front of the panel and not in front of the door... There are several things like that in the game. Is this normal and if not, this could be an easy update to fix that.

Concerning wiki, I would like to suggest few things... It is quite good that particular monsters are not spawned naturally like The Lost or Reaper. However, they should drop special things because it doesn't have any sense to kill monsters that drop nothing except for experience points. The Pumpkin is a good example. Pumpkins seeds are obtainable only by them.

In addition, I suggest that :
1) The Losts should maybe drop : same that skeleton with maybe iron or sulphur powder and maybe at a low rate : black silk robe
2) Scythes should maybe drop : a used scythe, or a simple scythe or a dark crystal or something new but people have no use of killing them because they don't drop interesting things.
3) Pumpkins are already dropping pumpkins seeds. The drop rate could be increased. It could maybe drop other things too.
4) Giant Cave Maggots could drop the same things as the Giant Maggots with the 100% of iten

5) Bee should drop honey !!! which is already created but not released...

5) Ice goblins should not drop Piles of Ash but something like Ice Cube... (suggestion)
6) Balls of lightning don't drop anything but that doesnt matter, nobody can touch them.

The idea of creating monsters that have a higher range than others is great.

Lastly, a soul menhir should be installed in the Graveyard or in the Swamps, this may be a major improvement.

Thank you to the person who has the courage of reading up to here and replying to everything.

Sincerely, Napalm.
pedrozs
Newly Registered User

Re: several updates and improvements

Post by pedrozs »

maybe my opinion is not very important, but i agree with him in most of the things he says. Im lvl 46, so thats another point to no to listen to my opinion..

Napalm: its not as long as u said..
Severus - Godric - Pedrozs
noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Post by noelleionscowl »

Where are the pumpkins?
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Ali-G

re Candor warps: Something a little odd happens with certain map layouts. When a warp sends you to a new spot where the warp back is the direction you face, most times you keep walking (lag) and automatically re-enter the warp back. To avoid this you get warped 1 square away. In the case of Candor, it was 1 square to the right, in other places its one square further up/down. So its up to you to decide which is better. I updated my version to warp 1 square down. If others agree with the change, it can be patched to the main server.

re blacksmith shop map error: After you mentioned this, I started noticing other spots like this. The 1 square wide exit from the hermit cave leads to map with a 2 square wide tunnel back (sorta plausible but makes you wonder). I fixed the blacksmith error, but map fixes are a little more tedious. It would be great if you want to learn a bit about mapping procedures and clean up any of these problems you see, as you find them. I am sure the dev team could use someone who pays attention to detail and knows the tools, to help them out. I don't know if you have seen the mapping tutorial already, but if you are interested in helping out here it is:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial

re drops: The ball-lightning and scythe are summoned by the reaper and will not have drops. The Lost mob will be a short ranged magic caster found deep inside a crypt. Drop ideas are welcome, be creative and we will see if it can be done. Will people want a black robe?

About the other mobs. Your suggestions sound good, but maybe check with others to make sure they aren't planning something special (like for honey). Also, if you aren't already developing content, you are encouraged to get involved and come hang out on irc:
Server: irc.themanaworld.org
Channel: #themanaworld (general game chat) #tmw-dev (development discussion)

pedrozs: Everyone's opinion matters. If you have ideas, please post them. Sometimes things cannot be done with the current code (as I am finding out fast). Other times the main developers are too busy to address every little detail. If you can help out with content that would be even better. I started out helping not too long ago and there is a great demand for more people to pitch in with: graphics, music, scripting, or mapping.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Thank you very much, I will try to pay attention to these details (such as warps) and will also try to do a dev work with it instead of just noticing them.

Moreover, i will try to do other and more detailed suggestions about the monsters who drop nothing.

In overall nothing is very hard to do :

1) changing the drop rates of monsters should not be a big deal

2) adding particular items (such as Ice Cube for Ice Goblin) is also very easy even if it takes time

3) changing little details concerning warps is a minor edit that can solve many problems (can be maybe done by anybody to improve the look of tmw) => needs to be discussed

4) adding a Soul Menhir to Graveyard is really easy but needs to be discussed (I am sure it already has been discussed but another try is good). I may understand that there is not any Soul Menhir in graveyard because the Caretaker's house can be safe place and secondly, the monsters in this map are giving a lot of experience.

5) people complain about the fact that there are not enough weapons in game but that is good enough for now (that's my thought). But you could add more different weapons (melee and distant) such as one that attacks really quickly but that does not do a lot of damage (the opposit may be an idea too) + range can be changed too

6) Why is the scythe not with Range = 2 ?

Sincerely, Napalm.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

noel : pumpkins are not naturally spawned (you would know that if you were reading arefully what i had said or reading what i updated on wiki.themanaworld.org in the monster reference page)

Last idea atm : People that are not using 4144's patch don't see which doors can be taken. Why don't we do a little sign near the doors that cannot open or do a little message while trying to get through them such as : This is a private property / There is a family living here, don't disturb them / A magical force does not let you pass....
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ali-G wrote:Last idea atm : People that are not using 4144's patch don't see which doors can be taken. Why don't we do a little sign near the doors that cannot open or do a little message while trying to get through them such as : This is a private property / There is a family living here, don't disturb them / A magical force does not let you pass....
The Manasource 0.5 / TMW 0.0.30 client will be released soon, which includes visible warps (marked by a particle effect which spans the whole warp area instead of an ugly square which just marks the center point):
warps.png
warps.png (213.43 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

ok and what about other things ?

Cruch : Why are you so good looking with all these paticles around you ?

+ Will there be a new tmw version for Mac too ?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote:ok and what about other things ?

Cruch : Why are you so good looking with all these paticles around you ?

+ Will there be a new tmw version for Mac too ?
He use @invisible if my memories is good. it was on last version too.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, that's the invisibility particle effect. We have that for several versions. Not that it does much for the average player, though ;)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

awesome !

Hm... we digress ... what about talking about what i asked up there? :D
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Ali-G

1- this is most likely going to be addressed as part of a new set of development priorities set by Wombat (he is in charge of content for eAthena based tmw - the one we are playing right now). He wants a lot of the database files cleaned up and the mob_db which describes each monster along with its drops is one of them.

2 - more difficult than you think. If you need new graphics, someone has to make them. Unless you are a good pixel artist and can do it yourself, you will have to be patient and wait for one of the artists to finish their previous job. If you are using existing items, then the only concern is balance (don't add rare items without approval from higher ups).

3 - All mappers and scripters are already working on projects. This is definitely worth while but new content seems to be everyone's priority and developers are in short supply. This is why it would be great if you could learn how to make these changes and lead a project to finally fix all these problems.

4 - I was going to suggest adding one inside the grave yard inn that is planned to be released soon. As it was before, there was an npc quest that would give access to the inn if the players could raise a huge amount of money. Almost no one contributed. Maybe if the quest was changed to a ton of several different common drops (spell components for him to make the warp) and if players knew that something they really wanted could be unlocked (a respawn near gy), then they might be more inclined to complete the community quest.

5 - again shortage of artists to make new graphics for new weapons (this is very time consuming and people are very critical of how they look). As for diversifying the stats, this might be accomplished after a major rebalancing effort. See : http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =2&t=11456

6 - Main problem with giving melee weapons range > 1 is that they don't always look like they are hitting their target (a graphical issue). Lets take the left attack for example. With one range, the mob is either infront, a little above or below you. It is acceptable if the attack is at least close to its target for the square directly up and down from the animated strike. With 2 squares, now you have to believable hit a cone of squares to the left, they most difficult are the left most top and bottom (2 diagonal squares away). If the attack just goes straight, it looks really bad when damage number pop up for a monster no where near the strike. The scythe does a sweeping attack and might look decent with a 2 range but I haven't tested it. There was a 2 range melee weapon planned, the whip, but there was some technical issues with the layering and development was put aside for now (I might have a solution, but I got a lot of other projects to complete first).

In short, what seems easy to do is actually tough because we lack the manpower/womanpower/thingpower to take on more projects.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

In short, what seems easy to do is actually tough because we lack the manpower/womanpower/thingpower to take on more projects.

allso in short ---there is lock-down on ideas (is good imo) ,but give alot of us the idea of doing this wonderful this for the game but at the same time feel they have a need to do all or most of the work them self.....the result is we have lots of old pixel art 3/4 done geting dusty,projects falling short because of taking on to much on ones self, over talking about stuff ....

i hate seeing begging for some thing to get done and when someone dose try to do it that get bad feed back and it dies or it gets done or close to and gets dusting with the rest of the forgotten...

if you think about the "how" and "who" that makes this game ...its the most random working thing i have ever seen...and love it for that ...

in shorter---we are getting to it .....ask what you can do to help and list what you think you can add to the game..

-------------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Thank you for your very complete answers guys, I will see how I can change the things I listed by myself.

Moreover, concerning pixel art, I am not that bad and i could try to make few interesting items linked to something that I can be charged of (something like drop rate of monsters)...

Other things that requires time but not an enormous knowledge in computer programs/language,etc... I could try and help

Thank you once more :)