[DIS] Flask Of Blood + Ice Cube + Ice Arrow

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Flask Of Blood + Ice Cube + Ice Arrow

Post by Alige »

Hello everyone,

Here are 2 items that I made that are maybe unfinished. What do you think of these? Although, I would like a bit of help on the 2nd one.

Here is the Flask Of Blood:
generic-blood-flask.png
generic-blood-flask.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
And here is the Ice Cube:
generic-ice-cube.png
generic-ice-cube.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
The Flask Of Blood could be a rare drop of the Vampire Bats or of the Zombies.
The Ice Cube could replace the Piles Of Ash dropped by Ice Goblins because it has no sense at my thought, that an ice mob should drop a pile of ash.

How could I improve them, and especially the Ice Cube ?
Last edited by Alige on 09 Jun 2011, 09:30, edited 3 times in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Flask Of Blood + Ice Cube

Post by Crush »

Flask of blood:
There are already some recolorable potion bottles in the data files which could easily be colored blood-red to look like they contain blood. When you really feel that we need another potion bottle please make it recolorable too, so that it can also be reused for other purposes. Information about the recolorisation system can be found here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image_dyeing

Ice cube:
I would suggest to add a puddle of water under it. It would also make it look "colder" when you would make the internal edge lines brighter instead of darker than the texture color (or even better: use shading so that you don't need edge lines).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Nice work G, I am really glad are contributing to the game.

With re-colouring, the new flask will be perfect for opaque liquids. Crush's suggestions for the ice cube would make it look perfect.

I know you said you didn't want to do anything too technical, but it would be a huge help if you wanted to learn how to add the items to the game. This would involve setting up your own local server, and then editing some text files to get the items into your local server for testing. If you are up to the challenge, let me know and I can help your through the process. If not, you might have to for someone with free time to use the graphics and add them in game.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

About the flask : use less colors, avoid at all cost the automatic gradient tool. If it's glass, you can use stronger outlines to make the glass appear better. One or two white pixels nicely placed can also add a nice glass effect. You can also use more space, the 32*32 square is bigger than that. I made a couple of examples, the first one is the original version, the last one is a simple recoloring of the bottle of water :
blood-flasks.png
blood-flasks.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 3448 times

About the ice cube, i don't think transparency will work. Again, use less colors (the example i made use only 4). Maybe change the shape a bit and add some water at the bottom to suggest melting.
ice-cube.png
ice-cube.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

looks really good, the thing that would really make it pop out at you is to add a glare color (white?) and it would make it look less like jello ..just imo

--------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Thank you for your suggestions, nmaligec I will talk to you by forum mail.
Howerver, I will put the updated items in a few moment cause I need to work on it.
About the use of ice cubes :

It can be used like the raw logs to make arrows but this time to make ice arrows (that I will create). The spell particles could be the ones of asorm.

I will create the Ice Arrows with special effect if I can.

Everyone : I am indeed interested by helping tmw development (really much) and I would like to know :
1) How do you do sprites (using gimp => that is what i use on mac)
2) How to put several items on the same image (I mean like the one with the different bottles).

Thank you for everything guys :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ali-G wrote:1) How do you do sprites (using gimp => that is what i use on mac)
Errr... pixel them?
2) How to put several items on the same image (I mean like the one with the different bottles).
Uhhh... copy & paste?

Can you please be a bit more specific?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush:

1) I mean how do you do animations (sprites no ?)
2) I know copy & paste but I need an image 32 x 64 for 2 items on the same image ?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Note that I am using a different language version of gimp than you, so any menu options I mention might be translated inaccurately.
Ali-G wrote:1) I mean how do you do animations
When you mean a gif animations (not useful for the TMW client itself, but useful for demonstrating animations to others): you can create those by creating a separate layer for every frame before you save it to gif format. Gimp should then prompt you if you want to merge the layers or rather create an animation where every layer is one frame.

When you mean spritesets of animated sprites for the client: I switch the grid on (in the view options) and configure it to the size of the sprite I want to create. Then I draw one animation phase into each grid cell. But I am not very experienced with creating animations, so someone else might give some better advise here.
2) I know copy & paste but I need an image 32 x 64 for 2 items on the same image ?
Picture->Canvas Size allows you to change the size of your canvas. Make sure that you also adjust the size of your layer(s) while adjusting the size of your canvas. Otherwise you will have a larger canvas but your layer stays the same (it's border is marked by a yellow/black dashed line) and you can't draw outside of it.
  • NOT a game master

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G, if you need help in animation just pm me, I can explain you maybe better in french.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Ari, as that is a very well pixel-ed ice rock and would fit nicely in nivalus some place. I don't think it quite passes as a cube lol
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Hello all, here is the ice cube posted by arikel but i changed it: now it looks more like a "cube"...:
ice-cube.png
ice-cube.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Here is the promised ice arrow (suggestion: they can be made like the arrows from raw log but here from ice cubes (particles = same as asorm's)):
Weapon-arrow-ice.png
Weapon-arrow-ice.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
However, i am planning to update the bottle of blood but I will make different types of opaque bottles... that will be re colorable (so not just for blood).

PS: I made a bottle of blood for the vampire bat because I planned of taking TAW's drop of blood but the question is: How to transport or contain it? This sounds more logical to be in a flask.

Napalm.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

Ali-G wrote:ice arrow
Sound familiar?
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

didn't understood your point...
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

Ali-G wrote: Here is the promised ice arrow (suggestion: they can be made like the arrows from raw log but here from ice cubes (particles = same as asorm's)):
Attachment: wrote:Image
Weapon-arrow-ice.png [ 3.07 KiB | Viewed x times ]
Napalm (Ali-G ),
for the particles that'll be the same as parumboo or kularzufrill for identifi the spell's school:
fate wrote:the particle effect does not match the current scheme, which identifies spells by school
for the spell that'll be something like that

Code: Select all

SPELL make-ice-arrows : "#?" =
      LET level = 1
          school = TRANSMUTE
      IN (MANA 8, CASTTIME 5000,
          REQUIRE skill(caster, MAGIC) > level,
          REQUIRE skill(caster, school) > level,
          COMPONENTS ["RawLog","IceCube"])
          => EFFECT CALL adjust_spellpower(school);
                    CALL default_effect();
                    CALL create_item("IceArrow", 1 + spellpower / 40 + (random(max(1, 800 - spellpower)) / 80), "IceCube", 500);
                    CALL gain_xp(1);
else I think that's a good idea (the spell raw log + Ice cube do an spell)! :wink:

Lien ...