Welcome Our New Graphic Development Leaders

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Welcome Our New Graphic Development Leaders

Post by Wombat »

Welcome Arikel, Lien, Meway and Skipy to Graphics Development Leadership Team.

To get started we are using the following tagging system:
jaxad0127 wrote:Please use the following tags in thread subjects in this forum:

[REQ] - Request topic
[CPT] - Concept topic
[WIP] - Work In Progress topic
[WIP] > [FND] - Finished project - ready for [RC] phase
[RC] - Release Candidate topic
[RC] > [GIT] - RC content already on git ([SVN] can be kept for old projects)
[DIS] - Discussion Topic
[OBSOLETE] - Thread has been superseded by another. Please link to the new thread in a new post at the end.

This applies to all threads under Graphics Development. Please let developers or artists start Release Candidate topics.

Edit 2008-12-03: Added [OBSOLETE] tag and clarified [RC] creation
Edit 2008-12-28: Added [GIT] tag to replace [SVN]
Artists can typically mark their work [WIP] and [FND]. Content developers can make [REQ]s to meet certain content goals (monster drops, quest items, completing a set of armor etc.). Anyone can start a [DIS] tag, which should be graphics development related. What the team does is encourage artists to meet art guidelines and reach a state where the artist believes they are done, [FND], check for all item icons, animation frames and xml, requests their topic to be marked as [RC]. When the art is in the gitorious repository mainline, the art topic will be marked [RC]>[GIT].

If this system is confusing, we can work on the method more. As for guidelines, the present ones do have many ideal directions, though we are taking definite stands which are against the guidelines, such as moving forward with the player set, its equipment, monsters related to player-set art and some monsters which simply have a different perspective than the guidelines define. If there is a disagreement on if something should be marked a certain tag, we'll handle discussion on a private forum about it.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: Welcome Our New Graphic Development Leaders

Post by skipy »

thanks for having me :twisted: ..

and just so i under stand right if all pixels are done on some thing (sheet,icon) but dose not have a xml for it ,can i mark it [FND]???

----------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Congrats to all :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Where is the buffet? :)

Do it mean that now I can got feedback about my NPCs ? hmm?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

skipy wrote:thanks for having me :twisted: ..

and just so i under stand right if all pixels are done on some thing (sheet,icon) but dose not have a xml for it ,can i mark it [FND]???

----------skipy
It is done, but xml is still missing, it can be marked [FND]. To request the [RC] tag, it must also have its xml, in the case of equipment and monsters. Items and tilesets don't need this requirement.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

leadership team?

So Rotonen, Wombat, Arikel, Lien, Meway and Skipy are leaders?

Is anyone actually a FOLLOWER?
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Kage wrote:leadership team?

So Rotonen, Wombat, Arikel, Lien, Meway and Skipy are leaders?

Is anyone actually a FOLLOWER?
Leaders - yes
Followers - not actually :P
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I do not see anything anywhere about me being any sort of a leader for TMW-eA. I do not wish to be one either.

One might see me more as an angry grandpa, who has plenty of opinions and is not afraid to share them with people. Whether this is wanted or tolerated by TMW-eA management is entirely up to them.
This message used to be meaningful.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Rotonen wrote:I do not see anything anywhere about me being any sort of a leader for TMW-eA. I do not wish to be one either.

One might see me more as an angry grandpa, who has plenty of opinions and is not afraid to share them with people. Whether this is wanted or tolerated by TMW-eA management is entirely up to them.
I thought you were the one who "appointed" wombat as content leader for eA?

And are you not the one managing CR1 subprojects?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The point of the teams is to help delegate and spread tasks so their isn't a heavy workload and to more quickly process our various forms of content into the game. Semantics can be argued, but I'll stick with how I named the roles. No, there aren't followers, but those named to leadership positions are informed enough to make decisions on content development without requesting my input anytime they do something.

It is also good to keep lines of communication open so everyone can be on the same page. Those in leadership are encouraged to communicate with me and each other to maintain our knowledge of our workflow and what is going on.

If you aren't in the leadership, it doesn't mean you can't be nor does it mean anyone not a leader is a "follower", which isn't an interpretation of how leadership functions within this project. Our organization is volunteer based where creativity plays to strong of a role for everyone. It would be difficult for those involved to be thought of as a follower.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Wombat wrote:The point of the teams is to help delegate and spread tasks so their isn't a heavy workload and to more quickly process our various forms of content into the game. Semantics can be argued, but I'll stick with how I named the roles. No, there aren't followers, but those named to leadership positions are informed enough to make decisions on content development without requesting my input anytime they do something.

It is also good to keep lines of communication open so everyone can be on the same page. Those in leadership are encouraged to communicate with me and each other to maintain our knowledge of our workflow and what is going on.

If you aren't in the leadership, it doesn't mean you can't be nor does it mean anyone not a leader is a "follower", which isn't an interpretation of how leadership functions within this project. Our organization is volunteer based where creativity plays to strong of a role for everyone. It would be difficult for those involved to be thought of as a follower.
Then maybe instead of calling them "Graphic Development Leaders", maybe "Senior Graphic Developers" is a better fitting title?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I don't know if "senior" would properly describe our positions, when I consider the senior developers, it is those developers that stick around to give advice on advancing the game, but aren't directly involved in its management. In a way, the age of the leadership would be more "junior", heeding the advice of those more experienced, but not restricting their creativity necessarily within the boundaries of the advice of others.

I guess I'll remain open to title renaming concepts if "leadership" clashes with people's ethical views, but I do think it describes the positions well enough that people won't be confused. When someone wants something in game, those named to leadership positions that cover the particular area of focus can make the decision if it is of quality enough to request a submission to the gitorious mainline.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

Wombat wrote:Welcome Arikel, Lien, Meway and Skipy to Graphics Development Leadership Team.
Gratzzz :D
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Wombat excellent move, good leaders delegate to responsible people and your choices reflect that.
All are great artists and also helpful and polite.
This will encourage new people to contribute and learn about tmw art standards.
Congrats to all new leaders. =]
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

alot of help i give/get for/from new players is in game...there has been times i have sat and got people started in gimp or other launching pads for there ideas or willingness to help(a lot of good stuff can happen this way).....a problem i am having is people asking me about dev-tec stuff i have no clue about....so i had a idea to help with this all....

imo the art leaders should have a art hat :mrgreen:

heres one i made ...for fun ....take it or leave it :twisted:

just a idea ---------------------------------skipy
Attachments
Player_art-hat-demo.png
Player_art-hat-demo.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Player_art-hat-.png
Player_art-hat-.png (3.95 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana