Magic System(hmm, sometihngs wrong here)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Bear
Warrior
Warrior

Magic System(hmm, sometihngs wrong here)

Post by Bear »

Time (Crono)
S - Doom - The target dies automatically after a certain amount of time.
B - Erase - The target may be destroyed automatically. (No XP for this)
I believe these are highly abusive in the game

Doom- People can just ... use it and walk away or make the monster chase them and get exp off of it ---... also, people can just use this to annoy other people by using it on others monsters.

Erase- i must admit, the no exp is a good handicap, BUT its not good enough, even if its no exp, people will abuse it just to piss other people off(Maybe a timed usage would help)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Doom

How about the monster dies when his health is under 100 HP within 30 seconds after the spell is cast?

So it would instantly kill it if his health is under 100 HP. And the curse is lifted after 30 seconds.

These are just some numbers, they could be totaly different.

Erase

The abuse would be lessened if the spell could only be cast if the monster has you as its target.
And maybe something could be added like the monster needs to have no more than 1/2 of his max. HP.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Well probably those spells will be high time casting and very mp consuming so you can't launch them so frequently and as Modanung said maybe the creature won't die immediately but it will lose his hp gradually within a certain amount of time
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

That's far from what I said... but it's also an option. :P
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How about these being almost ultimate high level skills and hence 1) require extremely high levels of the associated skills and 2) requiring ultra rare and expensive stones to empower them ?
This message used to be meaningful.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Those skills do seem pretty powerful
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I was under the impression that we were currently working off of the magic master list (http://www.themanaworld.org/wiki/index. ... aster_list) that WakkaCraft and I drew up. It is, after all, a bit more complete (not to mention balanced) than what appears in the individual elemental pages at present.
clsdaniel
Peon
Peon

Post by clsdaniel »

How about sucess rate? if you are high level and use it on a lower monster it will work mostly, on monsters with about the same level as you will have 30%-40% of working, and higher monsters is lower, of course with bosses it won't work ;)

Also it seems a good idea to need some reather hard or expensive items in order to cast it.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Sincerely I never played the wizard role in MMORPGS, but I guess I could find annoying to use items to cast spells. I mostly agree instead about success rate.
AndyG314
Peon
Peon

Erease

Post by AndyG314 »

Erease should only have a % chance to succeed
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Even with only a percentage change to succeed, it's way too powerful for an MMO. It breaks game balance in a big way.
AndyG314
Peon
Peon

Post by AndyG314 »

I don't think it would be that overpowered, if it were slow to cast/requires a lot of mana, and it had only about a 1/2 chance to succeed.

Also if the stronger the monster/player the less lilkely it would be to succeed (to keep it from being used on a strongest monster in the group).

I really think this spell could work.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

Um, no. Think about the mindset of a person playing this. This is an omni-spell, which means that nobody is going to go after any spells but this; it doesn't matter if it takes a few extra seconds to cast, if you've got a meele tank standing in front of you, and given that you can annihilate monsters with a quick spell instead of actually having to fight them, getting additional mana potions wouldn't be terribly hard either.

Spell balancing is a rather difficult thing to do; the two major pitfalls being the "balance through being identical" idea, which says you balance all the different types of magic by making them all carbon-copies of each other (boring as hell), and the general problem of laziness, which tends to result in games that are only quasi-balanced (this happens in commercial games all the time--look at Diablo 2 for a great example). If one school of magic were given an instant death spell, the game would be unbalanced because players would just go straight after that spell. If all schools got an instant death spell, the game would be unbalanced because spellcasters would suddenly be overpowered as compared to non-spellcasters.

Instant death spells work well in regular RPG's, as you have at most a couple other people helping you out. In an MMORPG scenario, however, balance is much, much more important because you get so many people playing (and teaming).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How about if the instadeath spell kills the caster too?
This message used to be meaningful.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

thinking about that, in combination with some yet-to-be-added death penalty: not too good an idea. how about just reducing the player's hp to like 5% so he still has a chance to heal, as long as there aren't any other monsters around?