[GTP] German

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

[GTP] German

Post by Matt »

GTE - Good Translations Project / Consistent translations / streamlined translations / whatever

If some good stuff comes out of this I'll provide them to the community to make nice shiny translations possible for all languages.

German translation

Hallo meine Pogopuschel,

die Übersetzung eines doch eher großen Projekts wie TMW gestaltet sich meiner Meinung nach ein wenig schwierig, besonders aus dem einfachen Grund, dass sie über einen langen Zeitraum abläuft und durch mehrere Personen durchgeführt wird.

Jeder hat seine eigenen Übersetzungseigenheiten, jeder beherrscht die Sprache unterschiedlich gut und nach ein paar Monaten/Jahren weiß niemand mehr wie er was mal übersetzt hat. :lol:

Deswegen wäre ein kleiner Spickzettel hilfreich, der die Übersetzer bei folgenden Problematiken unterstützt:

- Bei welchen Wörtern/Sätzen/Teilen der Übersetzung soll die Originalsprache erhalten bleiben, macht es Sinn zu übersetzen: Fehlermeldungen, eingebürgerte Anglizismen, Dinge für die es einfach keinen schönen deutschen Begriff gibt.

- Spielorientierte "Fachbegriffe"; z.B. party, guild, stat points, server, etc; konsistent übersetzen

- Begriffe im Kontext des Spiels sehen, d.h. prüfen ob die Übersetzung der Zeichenkette so im Spiel überhaupt Sinn macht, bzw. ob sie nicht zu lang/kurz für die Oberfläche ist.

- Satzbau/gestaltung des Originaltextes übernehmen oder "einschönen" (z.B. die inkonsistenten langen "You" Sätze und die kurzen "It rains." Fetzen ;) )

- ... (bitte ergänzen)

Wenn ich mal wieder etwas Zeit haben sollte werde ich eine solche Liste beginnen, wäre toll wenn sich auch ein paar der anderen Übersetzer/deutschsprachige TMWler daran beteiligen könnten, ist ja blöd wenn die Deutschen standardmäßig mit einer hässlichen Übersetzung leben müssten.
Last edited by Matt on 03 Jan 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [GTP] German

Post by Kage »

Matt, Sie wollen Deutsch zu stechen werden.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Kage wrote:Matt, Sie wollen Deutsch zu stechen werden.
AFAIK it doesn't make sense to talk in english about the tiny details of a german translation ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I've read that professional game translation teams usually create long dictionaries with the terminology of the game to make clear how terms are supposed to be translated. This makes sure that the same thing is referred to with the same word everywhere.

It would be very helpful when translation teams for TMW would do the same, so that terms like "party" or "agility" are translated consistently.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Well that "dictionary" is one of the goals of this thread, feel free to submit examples :)
Gotcha
Novice
Novice

Post by Gotcha »

hi

wenn ich weiß was zu übersetzen ist helf ich auch gern.
welchen editor soll ich da verwenden?

und: Kage wrote:

das heißt glaub ich obs ein sticky thread sein soll :-)

lg
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Here is a proposal for the stat points:
Hier ein Vorschlag für die Statuspunkte:

stat points - Statuspunkte
Strength - Stärke
Agility - Agilität
Vitality - Vitalität
Intelligence - Intelligenz
Dexterity - Geschicklichkeit - not Ausdauer, as it is now / nicht Ausdauer, wie im Moment
Luck - Glück

I would change the translations of Agi and Vit, because this way, it is easier for a german player to talk with other players about it in English. Also this are correct words.
When I started to talk with other players about how to set your stat points, I first got very confused about the German words. Now I either think in English, when talking about it, or as proposed above.

Die Übersetzungen von Vit und Agi würde ich deswegen so wählen, weil es zum einen korrekte deutsche Begriffe sind, und zum anderen es mit diesen Übersetzungen leichter fällt, mit anderen Spielern auf English darüber zu reden.
Als ich angefangen habe, mit anderen Spielern darüber zu reden, wie man Statuspunkte setzen könnte, bin ich mit den deutschen Begriffen zuerst sehr durcheinander gekommen, und jetzt denke ich entweder in den englischen Begriffen, oder so wie oben vorgeschlagen.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Gotcha wrote:hi

wenn ich weiß was zu übersetzen ist helf ich auch gern.
welchen editor soll ich da verwenden?

und: Kage wrote:

das heißt glaub ich obs ein sticky thread sein soll :-)

lg
@Kage: Well if you indeed asked to sticky this thread go ahead ;)

Zum Übersetzen selbst kannst du einen einfachen Texteditor verwenden,
ich habe zuletzt aber Poedit verwendet, das ist einfach komfortabler :)

http://www.poedit.net/

Die aktuelle de.po findet sich immer unter

http://gitorious.org/mana/mana/blobs/master/po/de.po

Da Bertram meine letzten Änderungen noch nicht gemerged hat sind diese wie hier beschrieben zu finden:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 76#p101276

@Jenalya: Mit deinem Vorschlag bin ich soweit einverstanden, super, anders kenne ich es z.B. von Diablo auch nicht - ich weiß allerdings nicht wie die aktuelle Übersetzung lautet :P
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hallo,
Da Bertram meine letzten Änderungen noch nicht gemerged hat sind diese wie hier beschrieben zu finden:
Ja, es tut mir leid, aber ich habe jetzt keine Zeit zu tun.

Mit besten Grüßen.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:I've read that professional game translation teams usually create long dictionaries with the terminology of the game to make clear how terms are supposed to be translated. This makes sure that the same thing is referred to with the same word everywhere.

It would be very helpful when translation teams for TMW would do the same, so that terms like "party" or "agility" are translated consistently.
Both TMW and Mana would need to have the dictionaries. Once we figure out how to translate game resources....
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Crush wrote:I've read that professional game translation teams usually create long dictionaries with the terminology of the game to make clear how terms are supposed to be translated. This makes sure that the same thing is referred to with the same word everywhere.

Both TMW and Mana would need to have the dictionaries. Once we figure out how to translate game resources....
Ah, completly forgot about that - couldn't you just leave everything in english at design time and output everything with gettext?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

no, because it would be impossible to translate any server-sided texts which are generated dynamically. Just putting a calculated number into an NPC text would already break the translation.

For the scripted content we need a solution on the scripting engine layer which detects the language of the user and translates strings accordingly in the script engine before passing it to the server.

Regarding translation of content distributed via updates (like the item descriptions in items.xml)... I could imagine two possible solutions:
1. send a different update depending on the language of the user
2. add all translations directly to the XML file by allowing to have multiple names and descriptions per item, each one with a different language property.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Couldn't the server send formatted messages like "You gained %s exp" and send the dynamical value splitted from the original message or just send a message id + the values? Or using gettext on the client side, maybe allowing scripters to define their own .po files, maybe even writing our own gettext scripting replacement?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Before going into translation specific dictionaries like that, please sanitize, standardize and audit with a fine comb the original English content and terminology first.
This message used to be meaningful.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Indeed, the original english phrases are a bit inconsistend - but I shouldn't matter if we create a german dictionary now, we do not have to translate the english phrases 1:1.