[WIP] Flower(s)

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

[WIP] Flower(s)

Post by Dimond »

Suggestions, comments, and constructive criticism is appreciated and will be considered.

The point at which the flower is at now:
flower-shaded.png
flower-shaded.png (607 Bytes) Viewed 2561 times
Progress of the flower:
flower-progress.png
flower-progress.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
I decided that it would look much better if the flower grew low on the ground. This is a rough draft of the concept:
flower-leafconcept.png
flower-leafconcept.png (766 Bytes) Viewed 2561 times
Thank you.

-Dimond
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] Flower(s)

Post by lien »

nice start ! (it's your first pixel ? Ôô)
but as I know there is some little mistakes
  • black line (too big and why black :wink: ?)
  • the background (remenber to save it with a transparent BackGround else how dev's can "git" it easily)
  • Anti Aliasing very important ! (see the link to tutorial if you don't know what is it)
so with this 3 step that can looks like than
Image=>Image

Maybe these tutorial will help you to perfection your pixelart (-> all links on the wiki). :wink:

Lien...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Is this intended to be an item or a tile?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Crush: Right now, I intend the flower to be part of a tileset I might work on in the future. Perhaps a new area opened up as a celebration of spring?

Lien: Thanks for the advice! I changed the colors a little bit, so they it would fit in-game better:
flower2.png
flower2.png (858 Bytes) Viewed 2522 times
I've followed all of your advice, except for anti-aliasing on the leaves, which I plan working on later. I want to get as much flower feedback as I possibly can, so I can finish that up. Later I'll do more work on the leaf of the plant.

EDIT: I tried doing anti-aliasing, but IMO it looks weird, blurry, and isn't the best for the picture. Thanks for the suggestion, though! (The leaf on the bottom left is probably a better example, considering I was messing around with the top one...)
aliasing-leaves.png
aliasing-leaves.png (914 Bytes) Viewed 2494 times
-Dimond
Last edited by Dimond on 16 Jan 2011, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Dimond wrote:Crush: Right now, I intend the flower to be part of a tileset I might work on in the future. Perhaps a new area opened up as a celebration of spring?
My first tilesets (woodland) took over a year to make, and I was unemployed back then. So better plan it for spring 2012. It was, however, a full 512x512 tileset created from scratch. I don't know how ambitious your plans are.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Crush: The theme could be "Peaceful pixel forest... Spend the end of the world enjoying beautiful, virtual scenery."

Another flower related plant:
flowerpot2.png
flowerpot2.png (549 Bytes) Viewed 2476 times
The flower pot's progress:
flowerpot-progress.png
flowerpot-progress.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Comments, suggestions, ect... Is appreciated.

-Dimond
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Comments, suggestions, ect... Is appreciated.
The perspective is incorrect. This doesn't matter that much for sprites, but it matters a lot for map tiles.

The perspective in TMW is from a 45° angle. When you have a geometrical shape on the horizontal plane, like the circular top opening of your flower pot, they have to be projected with a ratio of 1:0.7. This can be approximated as 4:3 or for very small objects 3:2.

Your flower pot, however, does have a ratio of about 3:1. It is drawn from a much too low angle.

Irukard made a good guide about correct TMW perspective here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... erence.png
Attachments
flowerpot2.png
flowerpot2.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
  • NOT a game master

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

So far Image is the best you have displayed. Here are some basics (some already pointed out)
1.) Avoid black lines
2.) Avoid Blurring an image
3.) Chose colors that naturally blend
4.) Avoid using more colors than necessary.
5.) Tiled uses a grid with a 32x32 tiles
6.) Learn to shade different forms of objects with a light-source from the N/W view (correct me if I'm wrong on this)
7.) Ask yourself does this look like what I pictured in my head?
8.) Imagine what lines or highlights that would be significant, but not over the top, to bring out in an object.
9.) Be careful with perspective. (keep in mind when making hats the player-set perspective will be taken into account)
10.) keep in mind because its a flower and its going to be on the ground not to make it pop out and overwhelm the wrest of the tileset. Chose duller colors. (this is just a suggestion)

Here is a revision of your flower I made. Btw shading does not = 100 shades and colors. This image contains only 5 colors witch IMO is 2 to many. Also I did not follow perspective.
Attachments
flower.png
flower.png (610 Bytes) Viewed 2425 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

meway wrote:10.) keep in mind because its a flower and its going to be on the ground not to make it pop out and overwhelm the wrest of the tileset. Chose duller colors. (this is just a suggestion)
This is actually a pretty important point when designing a tileset. The contrast, saturation and thickness of the outline, in short how much it stands out, should always depend on how important it is for the player.

Objects the player can walk over should stand out the least.
Objects which block the players should stand out more.
Objects the player can interact with (characters, monsters, interactive objects) should stand out the most.
  • NOT a game master