server help

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
jeg343
Newly Registered User

server help

Post by jeg343 »

I've been setting up my own server, which I will later create a new update source for; and have run into a few problems:
1st of all, whenever I run eathena.sh, I come up with this:

Code: Select all

Starting eathena monitor...
./eathena.sh: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
./eathena.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
I know it has nothing to do with the scripting of eathena-monitor, or eathena.sh, Ive already specified everything for that. So, how do I fix this? (I can run the separate server files fine, and have a gm and other accounts running fine)
My other problem:
While I can script, I don't know much about bringing a server on line so that others can log on to it. I have it set to a private network server, but would like to know how to bring it online to others.

Also, WTF is wrong with this: I joined almost 2 years ago, (joined forums half year ago) yet it still says I'm a "newly registered user"!?
(\___/) This is Mr. Bunny,
(+-.-+) Help Mr. Bunny Take Over the world.
(")_(") Copy and Paste him on all Docs
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: server help

Post by Frost »

jeg343 wrote: whenever I run eathena.sh, I come up with this:
You're running out of either virtual memory or file descriptors in the OS. Take it to Linux/UNIX support.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

jeg343 wrote:Also, WTF is wrong with this: I joined almost 2 years ago, (joined forums half year ago) yet it still says I'm a "newly registered user"!?
That's because you only have 4 posts. Forum ranking is determined solely by post count.

Also, moved to linux support.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Hello I will probably be helping you the most with the server and making an update host and all that junk. So I will post here to let you know to ask questions always. If you don't understand something or why its there or even used for don't be afraid to ask. If you wan't to make npc's add new items ect everything but the game data is server side. Keep us up to date and I hope your server goes well.
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

I'm not the OP, but I have a similar issue.
jeg343 wrote:I've been setting up my own server, which I will later create a new update source for; and have run into a few problems:
1st of all, whenever I run eathena.sh, I come up with this:

Code: Select all

I have successfully installed the EAthena server on Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS (no GUI) with the instructions at http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... a_on_Linux.

Everything was perfect with no GUI. I have since installed the Xubuntu desktop on top of the server (sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop).

Now with the GUI, if I open a terminal and execute "$ ./eathena.sh", I see the "fork: retry:" errors and the server does not run.

I have tried to disable GDM to prevent the GUI from loading, but my Google skill is weak. The most recent & related *buntu search results are answers/posts/problems/voodoo/bad mojo from the year 2009.

I will begin again with a fresh install and no GUI.

TL;DR I broke my server with a GUI. Why?
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

This post may not help "jeg343", but it may help another.

To solve my issue, I followed the instructions at http://fooninja.net/2010/07/29/text-boo ... bling-gdm/.
1. To disable GDM/KDM/etc, edit /etc/default/grub and change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text"
2. To show boot messages and disable the splash image, remove quiet splash from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT so that it reads GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="". (If you want the splash image and some text, use splash.)
3. Run sudo update-grub
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS uses "Grub2" and these instructions allowed me to boot to a console, execute "./eathena.sh", & then execute "startx" to bring up the GUI.