Program language chosen automatically

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Inarion
Newly Registered User

Program language chosen automatically

Post by Inarion »

Hey,

just tried logging into the game - worked all fine. But then a small surprise: It's all Finnish! (And I'm not) :wink: The program seems to use the information from the provider to determine the language file it uses, right so far?
I managed to get to the character creation screen but then I was screwed (no idea, how the character attributes are called in Finnish - my language course has yet to cover the vast topic of role playing games...).
I also managed to get to the options (the button is placed well for that purpose) - but there is obviously no option for changing the program's language. Or did I miss something?

I worked around it by replacing the Finnish language file with the English one. But a option to do so would be nice. :)

Perhaps that only happens 1 out of 10^6 times a new user registers, but I think it could always happen that someone logs in from a country the language of which he doesn't speak.
Or maybe the problem is that I'm using the portable version of TMW (found it here)?

As mentioned, I found a workaround and don't need help with it but I thought it would be nice to be known.

Inarion

PS: As a sidenote: Is there an equivalent like who/whose for which/xxx? (I couldn't imagine how to express "a country the language of which" with that whose-like construction because I think the usage of "whose" would refer to persons, wouldn't it?)
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Program language chosen automatically

Post by Kage »

I think it goes by your computer's regional settings. So it should be the same language as your operating system.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yes, the language is determined by the locale setting of your operating system.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

You can override that under POSIX systems (Linux, BSD, etc). Apple may have changed that for OSX, but I doubt it.
Inarion
Newly Registered User

Post by Inarion »

Crush wrote:Yes, the language is determined by the locale setting of your operating system.
Duh. That's a thing I didn't think of at all... :oops:
And that probably works out the right way in 99,99% of all cases - except for some exchange student who misuses the university's computers to try out new games when he is supposed to work there. :mrgreen:

Thanks for giving me insight! :)

Inarion