[redacted] is causing massive lag in required areas.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [redacted] is causing massive lag in required areas.

Post by Leela »

oh how much i missed all the pointless drama... (leela is back harr harr)

first of all i was online at the time and actually said (to the candor people) that i won't attend because of the lag.
but
I know that sometimes it just needs a bit more than words to make people see and understand that some things need to be changed. So someone putting on 50 or how many ever characters to prove a point is not a bad thing in the first place. Yes it lags out a few players for 10 minutes. But in my humble opinion 10 minutes lag are better than some backsideopenings finding that loophole and using it with bad intentions.

Peace Brother
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

Leela wrote:oh how much i missed all the pointless drama...
same
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Okay, I won't get into the multiboxing thing much, because I can kind of see both sides to some extent. Personally multiboxing isn't that much of an issue to me - if a group is hogging an area and won't share or answer, then they can't complain when you drag a huge amount of monsters to destroy them lol.

I wanna address this issue, because I'm a debate fiend:
DarkWater: "magic is massively broken and therefore does not count."

I can see how people are annoyed with magic, especially now that the max magic attack is substantially higher. I still wouldn't say it's broken, especially not compared to before the skills update. Even though I might do 750-800 a hit with my lightning at Astral 9 now, the speed at which I can do so isn't impressive. With the archer skill, a quick archer can easily overpower me unless I happen to be statted as a speedmage, in which case I might destroy everything, but I'm very very easily killed since I'd have to neglect luck and vit for agi. The biggest issue most had with magic has been resolved too - the reduction on magic power before the skills makes it so low level mages can't easily kill a much higher level warrior.

If anything, magic seems somewhat fixed now, archery has been improved quite a bit, the only issue left is that warriors are kind of left in the dust at the moment.

Sorry, I'll stress again, I'm debating in a friendly fashion here, or trying. And I apologize for the off-topic tangent, even though it did come up here.
To summarize: Multi-boxing is necessary to an extent, but is often abused, and it's hard to draw the line and be fair, so I'm sympathetic to all sides there.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

mistergrey wrote:I wanna address this issue, because I'm a debate fiend:
DarkWater: "magic is massively broken and therefore does not count."

The only thing I am going to say on that subject. How long does it take for you get maximal results with a bow or melee? What level 90? So if you are really good, 8-9 weeks?

How long does it take you to get maximal damage for magic? 2-3 days?

How long does it take for a person to get all the ingredients for setzer, just the ingredients? 3-4 weeks?

How long does it take for you to get maximal damage for magic? 2-3 days?

How long does it take to just get the forest bow, 2-3 days?

The magic system gives you everything you ever need in 2-3 days. You have to massively collect all this stuff, to do magic.

It is just a mess. A lot of the current problem in the game, ie economy and game balancing, is directly related to magic. They tried a broken system, and it is still doing more damage daily. You may enjoy it but it has cause more damage to this server then stacking ever well.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Leela wrote:But in my humble opinion 10 minutes lag are better than some backsideopenings finding that loophole and using it with bad intentions. Peace Brother
That really makes no sense. What backsideopenings? What loophole? What bad intentions? You dont make any sense.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

DW wrote:How long does it take you to get maximal damage for magic? 2-3 days?
Levelling as far as I did as a mage for the magic attack I now have, I would have to say it is worth it for the maximum damage i can do. as a mage you not only have to play much differently, but also getting the items to boost your magic attack is very costly.
It took robably 6 months for me to be an effective mage to the point where i could retire my bow.
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Something seems flawed in your timeline there. It certainly took me more than 3 days to get my magic maxed - hell, it took more than that just to get all the magic quests done with, and a lot more time bartering for the optimal mage equipment. I'm sure it's possible for someone who knows all the quests by heart, and who can bot for everything and level fast, but not everybody uses automation frequently - I only do once in a while.

Plus, it takes a good while to max a skill, you can only really start the astral skill at level 35, and by then you won't have many skill points because you've been killing weak monsters most likely. Even lightning without astral won't help terribly there. True, the Setzer ingredients can take a good while to collect, but let's be fair here - for any new mage playing, it takes a substantially longer time than 3 days to max his magic attack. Especially with the money being harder to get now, new mages have to stop and collect iron ore each time, if they even have lightning, and weak monsters give crappy job experience.

Either way, we could debate this forever: the 3 "classes" so to speak all have different things that determine their attack. Warriors depend on STR, with a large bonus from whatever weapon they use. Archers depend on DEX, and the forest bow is obtainable fairly early on. Mages' damage depends almost entirely on their INT, and then is boosted by various, often hard to get, magic accessories. I could just as easily say archers ruin the game, due to being able to just max dex at a fairly early level and having the best archer weapon available in a low level quest that only requires logs and money, as well as the +3 DEX forest armor. They're just too different to compare equally - like how a Sorceress in Diablo 2 sucks at first, and grows to be a room clearer, and a Necromancer rules with skeletons in the beginning, only for them to die in one hit later on.

I'm just saying, stacking isn't a big problem, it's the ones who hog areas and don't share, or in some cases, the ones who have too many and lag the area lol.

Personally, stacks of a couple of people aren't a huge problem, as long as they don't abuse it. But I've had my share of problems with stacks too, and that's a matter of being inconsiderate, as opposed to saying magic ruined the game by changing the economy, which happens in most games. There are definitely things to be tweaked, but it seems much less "broken" than ever before in my opinion.

I think they just need to release a more powerful weapon for warriors, so all 3 classes can deal great damage in short times at high levels.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

DarkWater wrote:Crush, I already stated many times how you can fix this problem. I will state them again.
Hint: When your posts wouldn't be so long and wouldn't repeat the same arguments over and over again maybe people would bother to read them.
1.) Set a maximum number per ip, lets say 10.
2.) Limit the gold, exp, and items dropped per account. Pick a number, ie 5 character, per ip address.
Penalty after 5 connections per IP, hard limit at 10 connections per IP. 13 words. That's all I wanted to know.

The laconic phrase is a virtue.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Slicer/Mad Camel is causing massive lag in required area

Post by Matt »

Crush wrote:I also removed the name of the person accused of doing this from the first post, because I haven't seen any proof that this person is really responsible for the attack.
Oh please, since when are we doing that, that's just wrong.

(edit: interesting, if you reply a post before you changed the title (like yours) the original subject is kept - nice forum bug.
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

@DarkWater: I know as long as you don't understand, something isn't making any sense. So for you to understand I will explain that sentence to you.

This is the sentence:
"But in my humble opinion 10 minutes lag are better than some backsideopenings finding that loophole and using it with bad intentions. Peace Brother"

ok let us take it from the beginning:

"My humble opinion" >> means that I have this opinion but others might not have it so maybe for other people my opinion might not be that important. That is something I do totally respect, that is why I am not forcing my opinion on someone but just telling it, and showing that it is ok for me if someone does not agree.
"10 minutes lag are better than" >> this is expressing that something else is much better than 10 minutes lag. Something is worth it to suffer from lag for this amount of time.
"backsideopenings" >> I chose not to use a swearword. I rather not get a warning or a ban from the forum or have my post edited for a swear word I can avoid just by inventing something that expresses the same thing.
"finding that loophole" >> So here we have another figure of speech, a picture. Of course there are no loops or holes in a physical way. And actually using a real loop or hole to do something to the server is not possible unless you are standing next to the server. So here the loophole is a picture I use to show that there are certain things that might cause a problem though they first didn't look like they would. Here in this example it is the multiboxing in an extreme way. So the multiboxing is here the loophole.
"bad intentions" >> I am sure you understand that, as often enough you express how others have bad intentions. You are normally not using the same words but I am sure you understand the meaning here.

I hope this will help you to understand the sentence and make sense out of it.

have fun and feel free to to put random words or sentences out of this post to make me sound ridiculous. Just try not to get your blood pressure too high because that's not good for the mood and health.

cu
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.