[WIP] First Helmet, REVIEWS

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

[WIP] First Helmet, REVIEWS

Post by rootwo_62 »

Hi, this is my first attempt at pixeling. I know the shading is off and the color is awful but over time I am going to be working with this same helmet. I'm not asking for help or anything, just wanted to see if anyone would like to improve or help make better use of this helm. I have been working on my pixel art for about a week now. So don't be to judgmental :P !

I am currently working on a golden armor outfit... So this is my attempt at the helm.

If you have any comments or actually like my idea for this please share.
Last edited by rootwo_62 on 11 Feb 2011, 14:32, edited 4 times in total.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Re: First Helmet, REVIEWS

Post by yourmistakes »

to fit TMW's art requirements this helm needs: proper lighting re: shading, a more 16 bit "pixel art style", and correct perspective .
there is a guide on the art requirements on the wiki and (i think) stickied on the art development forums.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

The new helmet looks much better!
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

updated... I forgot to mention this isn't meant to be put in tmw, just a test to see how many people actually admire change.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

your art becomes better and better.... your progress is awesome :D
but your helmet reminds me now on kr0n05931's gladiator helmet...
here is his art...

regards CC
Attachments
head-gladiator-helm.png
head-gladiator-helm.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The helm made by kr0n0 back then got the shape a lot better (although still not perfect).

There is, however, a general problem with such tight-fitting helmets - you will see the hair behind them. "Helm-compatible" hair sprites and using them automatically when certain items are equipped have been discussed a lot in the past few years, but so far noone bothered to really program anything in that direction.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

My Helmet does look very similiar to the one posted above. Like I said though I am trying to make a golden armor outfit for my server. So far it matches up nicely with the golden chest plate. Any ideas on what should be added to the helmet or anything else.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

rootwo_62 wrote:updated... I forgot to mention this isn't meant to be put in tmw, just a test to see how many people actually admire change.
this is a great start to learning and seeing how things are done...
one thing i would add to this way of learning is to do some concept stuff..
as artiest here we are playing "paper dolls" so keep in mind that all equipment will layer with the other equipment in game(see wiki)..

this is all just imo ,there is no set way to go about it...just ways it needs to be when done to fit in game..

keep going :mrgreen: ...

----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

Thank You all for your comments, I have worked on the helmet for a few days and just kept comparing it to other helmets.
@Crush: Well the tight fitting helmets are a hard thing to get rid of, I usually have short hair or no hair (my server), so the helmets look right. I do realize that when the hair shows through the helmet it looks goofy, :shock: but what if there was a way to remove hair for certain helmets in an .xml file. This would remove a lot of trouble on the helmet sizes.
Last edited by rootwo_62 on 17 Feb 2011, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

rootwo_62 wrote:what if there was a way to remove hair for certain helmets in an .xml file. This would remove a lot of trouble on the helmet sizes.[/color]
As I already wrote this has "been discussed a lot in the past few years, but so far noone bothered to really program anything in that direction". And I won't do this either at the moment. I already have 9 open tickets assigned to me on bugs.manasource.org.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

Crush wrote:
rootwo_62 wrote:what if there was a way to remove hair for certain helmets in an .xml file. This would remove a lot of trouble on the helmet sizes.
As I already wrote this has "been discussed a lot in the past few years, but so far noone bothered to really program anything in that direction". And I won't do this either at the moment. I already have 9 open tickets assigned to me on bugs.manasource.org.

I wasn't saying jump on it man, I wasn't even saying you guys didn't discuss it, I was saying that it seemed like a good idea.
Thanks again for replying Crush I appreciate you posting on my topics.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

not to be off topic :roll: ...

"if there was a way to remove hair for certain helmets "---> i think there is a better way to do this.....imo ,i would make 2 sprite-sheets for each hair-style (one for hat on and other for hat off).
or a re-doing/pixeling of all non-fitting hair-styles would be the best fix (imo) ..

----skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

Does my helmet look better with the added brush on top or no brush?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Do you want my honest opinion? It looks too bland and boring without the brush, but the shape of the brush looks quite bad in the side view, so it looks even worse with the brush.

When you want to improve yourself I would recommend to practice pixeling curves and circles. Regarding the shape of the brush: How about doing some web research for pictures of antique helmets? This will surely give you some great ideas what you could do.
  • NOT a game master

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

In your version there are missing parts that you should add to make it much better IMO (for example the back of the helmet), also the brush should be a bit shorter. :D
Btw, the shading is much better now! Keep working on it!

TMW Team member