Brawling Skill freeze

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Brawling Skill freeze

Post by chaslinux »

Some of the players on my server are telling me they're freezing when they attempt to get the brawling skill. Apparently every other skill works without problem, but brawling is causing client-side lock ups?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Brawling Skill freeze

Post by Jenalya »

This is a very vague description of the problem.
What do you mean with "freezing"? Is the client is freezing? Or the NPC script?
And what do you mean with "attempt to get the brawling skill"? Asking Luca to learn it or trying to focus on it?

Also you say it's occuring on your own server, are you using the latest version of the official server? Or some modified version?
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

should make a way to use the brawling skill to crash other clients.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Re: Skill freeze

Post by chaslinux »

Jenalya wrote: What do you mean with "freezing"? Is the client is freezing? Or the NPC script?
Also you say it's occuring on your own server, are you using the latest version of the official server? Or some modified version?
After investigating the problem further it appears to happen in the Luca script when the variables are initialised: L_teachmore2.

Yes there are some minor script additions, but nothing more and none of the original scripts have been touched (e.g. Luca is unmodified Luca). Disabling those scripts doesn't seem to fix the problem.

The server does not crash when the variables are initialised, the client hangs (which is what's strange). If the person quits the client they can log back into the server and play, skills just don't work.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

To debug in there further, it would be best to get the server logs, right after this freeze happend.
Could you reproduce & upload them?
So best would be starting a local test server (each server in its own terminal/ piped to file).
At which clients do these errors occur?
---
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

argul wrote:To debug in there further, it would be best to get the server logs, right after this freeze happend.
Could you reproduce & upload them?
So best would be starting a local test server (each server in its own terminal/ piped to file).
At which clients do these errors occur?
Will do (logs) - thanks. I've confirmed with the latest manasource client. I'm going to clone the server on a machine with more memory. The server actually runs on server iron, an IBM box with a couple of 15k rpm hard drives, but I haven't upgraded the RAM (2 x 128MB) because it's proprietary/hard to get. If it works I'll post the problem resolved. If not I'll post the logs and make sure all extra npcs are disabled.

Thanks,
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Re: Brawling Skill freeze - interesting update

Post by chaslinux »

Even though the client 'froze' saying "waiting for server" I was able to take a screenshot from the client:
Attachments
Manaplus frozen
Manaplus frozen
ManaPlus.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 2059 times