[WIP] making a shadow mob

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

skipy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] making a shadow mob

Post by skipy »

updated head..

---skipy
Attachments
wraith-base2.png
wraith-base2.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

this is a demo sheet of the attack parts ......
----skipy
Attachments
wraith-shodow-base-attack.png
wraith-shodow-base-attack.png (31.26 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Wow very impressive. After seeing the new base-attack (hereafter referred to as base1) and base2 layers, I am convinced this will work out as a very effective shadow. Here are my thoughts: base1 will always be at ~75%-85% (shadow part) and base2 will be barely visible when standing and ~50% when moving. The bones (base2) will become 100% visible when attacking.

There is one thing I would like to see on the base1 layer. What would it look like if the arms and bottom had ~3px Gaussian Blur on them? The head and part of the chest are a bit blurry, though the rest has sharp lines. I know this is the effect you are going for, but I was just wondering what it would look like if it were all blurry like a shadow. If the arms end up loosing too much definition and look like blobs, tell me and post the result so I will know it was a bad idea.

edit:
maybe if the arms look bad blurred post a version with sharp edges for the arms, but with the rest blurred.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

needs testing....(the red and green is to help size the frames)....

----- :twisted: skipy
Attachments
wraith-shodow-base-sheet-size.png
wraith-shodow-base-sheet-size.png (1018 Bytes) Viewed 4329 times
wraith-shodow-base-sheet-done.png
wraith-shodow-base-sheet-done.png (68.33 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

I made this off the earlier smaller sprite sheet.
I used purple on the shadowbase just to see what it looked like.
sgym1.gif
sgym1.gif (14.79 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
12 frames 80ms per frame.
the one horn looks like it needs some love idk...if making the shadow bigger or defining the horn is better
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Wow you really outdid yourself skipy!! You got the blur on the hands PERFECT! They look smokey/undefined in a very eery way. The contrast in definition compared to the other parts which are more blurry creates a creepy effect that seems to rattle in the back of your primal mind. It still needs some work though, to get it ready for xml and testing.

I posted a version with all the frames for stand, attack, and walk represented (outlined yellow, red and green respectively). The empty frames 2, 6, 8, 10 and the ones in the columns below them are just for the standing frames that will be added in by the xml. I thought I would put in empty frames beside as a reminder that each of the existing frames will HAVE TO blend with the standing frames represented by those empty slots! NOTE: the 4rth attack frame is just a copy of the 2nd and will be added by xml, its just for reference and to help me visualize the sequence.
shadow_96x128.png
shadow_96x128.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
A few things I noticed when checking for alignment and symmetries. the length of the body for the side frames is too short. I added a black line to show the 50 px height. The second longer black line is a reference for the length of the arms in the standing frames. I think the standing frames should have about the same look from each direction. This means altering the 'down' facing frame to match the other standing frames. Its arms should be by its sides with the width of the arms hanging (not including the hands) to be about the width of the 3rd black line on the top of the frame. This matches the 'up' facing version. Also get the hands to align with the 2nd black line (standing arm length).

This means having to significantly alter the walk frames for 'down' and 'left'/'right'. For the 'down' frame you need to stretch the arms to align with the bottom of the 2nd black line. I thought the side walk should be redone using the side standing frame as a reference (I cut the walk frames and placed the standing frame where it would be in the walk cycle as a guide to what it should look like before and after). The 'up' facing walk frames seem to be the best fit.

QUICK RECAP:
1. Redo the down standing frame so the arms hang by its sides like in the other stand frames (match 3rd and 2nd ref lines).

2. Lengthen all side frame body lengths so they match the length of the body in up/down frames (1rst ref line)

3. Lengthen the arms in the down walk frames (2nd ref line)

4. Redo the side walk frames to better match the side standing frames.

PS: the red/green pattern is not needed, just the widthXheight of a frame. In gimp I go to Image->Configure Grid and set the grid size, then View->Show Grid and View->Snap to Grid and voila I'm ready for sprite editing.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i'm actually really impressed with the work here. if done properly, we could easily get 4 or 5 mobs from the concepts.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

ill pick this back up soon..-----skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

nmaligec wrote:Wow you really outdid yourself skipy!! You got the blur on the hands PERFECT! They look smokey/undefined in a very eery way. The contrast in definition compared to the other parts which are more blurry creates a creepy effect that seems to rattle in the back of your primal mind. It still needs some work though, to get it ready for xml and testing.

I posted a version with all the frames for stand, attack, and walk represented (outlined yellow, red and green respectively). The empty frames 2, 6, 8, 10 and the ones in the columns below them are just for the standing frames that will be added in by the xml. I thought I would put in empty frames beside as a reminder that each of the existing frames will HAVE TO blend with the standing frames represented by those empty slots! NOTE: the 4rth attack frame is just a copy of the 2nd and will be added by xml, its just for reference and to help me visualize the sequence.
shadow_96x128.png
A few things I noticed when checking for alignment and symmetries. the length of the body for the side frames is too short. I added a black line to show the 50 px height. The second longer black line is a reference for the length of the arms in the standing frames. I think the standing frames should have about the same look from each direction. This means altering the 'down' facing frame to match the other standing frames. Its arms should be by its sides with the width of the arms hanging (not including the hands) to be about the width of the 3rd black line on the top of the frame. This matches the 'up' facing version. Also get the hands to align with the 2nd black line (standing arm length).

This means having to significantly alter the walk frames for 'down' and 'left'/'right'. For the 'down' frame you need to stretch the arms to align with the bottom of the 2nd black line. I thought the side walk should be redone using the side standing frame as a reference (I cut the walk frames and placed the standing frame where it would be in the walk cycle as a guide to what it should look like before and after). The 'up' facing walk frames seem to be the best fit.

QUICK RECAP:
1. Redo the down standing frame so the arms hang by its sides like in the other stand frames (match 3rd and 2nd ref lines).

2. Lengthen all side frame body lengths so they match the length of the body in up/down frames (1rst ref line)

3. Lengthen the arms in the down walk frames (2nd ref line)

4. Redo the side walk frames to better match the side standing frames.

PS: the red/green pattern is not needed, just the widthXheight of a frame. In gimp I go to Image->Configure Grid and set the grid size, then View->Show Grid and View->Snap to Grid and voila I'm ready for sprite editing.

thanks thanks ...this is quite help and im "now" back on point with this... ---skipy
yourmistakes wrote:i'm actually really impressed with the work here. if done properly, we could easily get 4 or 5 mobs from the concepts.
i agree ..and thx mr. takes :wink: :twisted:

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

question--dose a shadow mob need a shadow under it?-----skipy

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

It is more desirable to add a shadow particle effect...this is still something that needs worked on.
Current character is "Abolish".
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i will put a shadow under it soonish...
i have started the grafix bud clean-up....

---skipy
Attachments
shadow_96x128-skipy.png
shadow_96x128-skipy.png (48.08 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

No shadows needed, this mob is mostly transparent.

One last thing I noticed was that it has a few stray white pixels around the edges. It is most noticeable on a black background, which is how it will be spawned in game.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

i add to and played around with some placements...

its late i sleep----skipy
Attachments
shadow_96x1281.png
shadow_96x1281.png (47.84 KiB) Viewed 4051 times

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
diogorbg
Peon
Peon

Post by diogorbg »

Hello everyone,
I really enjoyed this monster and I thought a pity he has not completed the work.
I did some personal modifications to add it to the server 'BR The Mana World' in time for Halloween.
I hope you enjoy, or to give suggestions.
pt-br wrote:Olá a todos,
Gostei muito desse monstro e achei uma pena que ele não tenha concluído o trabalho.
Eu fiz umas modificações pessoais para adicioná-lo ao servidor 'The Mana World BR' a tempo do Halloween.
Espero que gostem, ou que deem sugestões.
Sprite:
XML:
http://code.google.com/p/themanaworld-b ... 731&r=1731
animation:
monsters.xml:

Code: Select all

<monster id="345" name="Espectro Sombrio" summon="espectroSombrio">
	<sprite>monsters/espectro-sombrio.xml</sprite>
	<attack id="1" missile-particle="graphics/particles/golpe-trevas.particle.xml"/>
</monster>
It is true that moving pictures are missing. But the death animation is well crafted. In XML the movement of the monster is pretty cool. And the attack is also very good using particle effects.
pt-br wrote:É verdade que os quadros de movimentação estão em falta. Mas a animação de morte é bem trabalhada. No XML a movimentação do monstro fica bem legal. E o ataque também fica muito bom usando efeitos de partículas.
Diogo_RBG, Server TMW-BR - ADM - DEV
Diogo_RBG - Server BR - ADM, DEV
:mrgreen: The Mana World BR - The best MMORPG 2D now in Portuguese.