[REQ] Barbarian NPCs

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

enchilado
Knight
Knight

Re: [REQ] Barbarian NPCs

Post by enchilado »

Have the guidelines been changed, or do objects like NPCs, mobs etc still need to have dark outlines? If they haven't been changed, you should add one.

In fact, I'd recommend adding one even if they have been.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

poison_ivy wrote:do objects like NPCs, mobs etc still need to have dark outlines?
NPCs

* NPC's should be in the same style as the player sprites.
o NPC's do not and should not be constrained by player pose and body shape. For example, the startrek sprites are done in the same style as players, but strike a different pose.
o Shadows should NOT be used for NPCs, shadows are reserved for large objects or flying creatures.
o Some NPCs not in the same style as the player sprites may be accepted if appropriate. (For example, Santa)

...i cant find a guideline for dark outlines at npc´s... just one for player, mobs and item icons..

Beings(players,monsters) and item icons level: stands out the most (heavily saturated with dark outlines)

for me a npc isnt a player, monster or item... right or not?
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ChefChelios wrote: * NPC's should be in the same style as the player sprites.
[...]
for me a npc isnt a player, monster or item... right or not?
I thought the sentence "NPC's should be in the same style as the player sprites" would make it obvious that all guidelines which apply to player characters also apply to NPCs. Anyway, I corrected the article. It now reads Sprites (characters, monsters etc.) and item icons level.

On a related note: A general rule when designing game graphics (not mentioned in our guidelines, but maybe it should be added) is this: How much an object stands out (through contrast, saturation and outline) should be proportional to how important it is to the player. Background objects the player can walk over should stand out the least, Background objects which obstruct the players movement should stand out more and objects the player can interact with (fight, dodge, pick up, break, enter, talk with etc.) should stand out the most.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

salmondine wrote:There is one dark pixel above the eye right side that blends with helmet detail.
I had a couple of ideas... maybe show some slight detail of how horns attach to helmet, I think this would push them forward a bit.
maybe lighten the color of horns a little to bleached bone tones and define the sword handle slightly more.
very nice work.
done, done, done & done :lol:
+darker outline
Attachments
babarian3-2.png
babarian3-2.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

That is looking pretty bad ass now! =]
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Posting these here as requested.
This is Crush's woodland set fire-pit, recolored for the Nivalis areas from cliffs pallet, with a few additions.
The meat version could be done better if there is a good meat pixel artist.
bfpsm.png
bfpsm.png (5.99 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
bfps.png
bfps.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
bfp.png
bfp.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
I'll post the snow versions next.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Jenalya hope these work tell me is they need changes.
sbfpsm.png
sbfpsm.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
sbfps.png
sbfps.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
sbfp.png
sbfp.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

alastrim and I are currently working on a quest series that involves the three NPC's from this topic.

But there are also plans for a barbarian village and barbarians in Thermin, so more sprites are needed.
For the village, we also need female and child barbarians.
(edit:) And old members of the tribe.