Candor General Annoucement

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Candor General Annoucement

Post by DarkWater »

Would it be hard to make it so candor does a general announcement. For example. Player 1 got to candor, tells the guy he want to sponsor an event. The guy does a general announcement every 10 mins for 30 mins, or until the game starts. The general announcement could be something simple "player 1, invites all players to candor for a fight to the death."

The system would log the ip of the person making the requests so abusers would be easily banned.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Candor General Annoucement

Post by o11c »

From a scripting perspective, this is trivial.

In order to prevent abuse, the announcement should happen only after the sponsor pays the money. Perhaps there should also be a minimum number of players, to prevent rich players from spamming through it.

In any case, the announcement should include the number of players currently in the cave.

There should probably be more than one announcement, 15,10,5 minutes, and the host should be able to choose how many are broadcast.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

i like the idea because we always have to ask Gm´s...
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

On a related note, why are the per-round spawn notices implemented as NPC speech bubbles, rather than map-global broadcasts to 29-3? Right now you could be hammering away in the bottom half of the map and you won't be able to hear what the round number is, for no good reason. Heck, even the players that are outside the cave are informed of as much, and they even get told directly how many players are still alive, rather than having to derive it from the increases in each new round's number.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

what aboutadding an extra option for a fee bigger than the current,which lets you start the game in 15 minutes and some globals before.

like paying 30k and you get 3 or 4 announcements and in 15 minutes the raid starts automatically.
---
Kandiman
Novice
Novice

Post by Kandiman »

I know the subject of having an NPC able to make global announcements has come up before and was vetoed because no reliable method to prevent abuse could be worked out. Having an NPC that would only make pre-defined announcements for a Candor raid makes sense.

I wouldn't recommend having the announcements tied to the start of the event since if nobody shows up, it is a waste of money for the sponsor. Perhaps a better idea is a having a small fee that you pay to Parua so he can make the announcement. The same rules could apply as with starting the event...it wouldn't be possible to make an announcement without enough players already present to start.

If a nominal fee, say 1000gp for argument sake, was charged and allowed the user to specify a time, they would have the option of making one or more announcements. If nobody shows up, they are only out the money for the announcements, not the whole event. Example:
User pays 1000gp, specifies battle to start in 10 minutes, announcement is made: "User 1 invites all players to candor for a fight to the death. Battle begins in 10 minutes."
User pays another 1000gp, specifies battle to start in 5 minutes, announcement is made: User 1 invites all players to candor for a fight to the death. Battle begins in 5 minutes."

As o11c said, this is trivial to script. Just my 2 cents.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

You know I completely agree with that thread and your opinions, you should not have normal people pay to make personal comments in a general announcement. Just ripe for abuse.

Back on topic. I understand it should cost something, even though I don't like it, it should.

So here is what I am really hearing.

1.) There needs to be x number of players in candor before you can make an announcement.
2.) We need to charge some amount of money per announcement.
3.) There needs to be a very specific announcement, for example, "______ invites you to fight to the death in candor."

I would like to add a 4.

Each player would get a set number of announcements per day, say 5. After that number they would have to run candor. Then they get 5 more. It would raise the cost of candor up to 25,000 dollars, but I think it would be worth it.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

i think these kind of announcements are necessary, because GM's cannot be around 24/7 and perhaps the player is only on for a certain amount of time and wants to have a event they wouldnt be able to invite everyone.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Chicka-Maria wrote:i think these kind of announcements are necessary, because GM's cannot be around 24/7 and perhaps the player is only on for a certain amount of time and wants to have a event they wouldnt be able to invite everyone.

Regards,
I like the idea. It makes it alot of sense provided it can be done in a way that avoids abuse, and i think the '______ invites everyone to a Raid on Candor in ___ minutes!' or something similar would be a decent format.
sexy red bearded GM
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i'd agree with radiant, if i were not able to gauge from the number of mobs. gotta disagree with DW though, since candor is better with a small group anyway. DW: why not just load 10 characters up and completely avoid the problem of needing a global to begin with?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Note: use an account variable rather than a character variable to control whether the player can send the announce.

Maybe have a requirement: "the player has survived Candor before" (check, but do not touch, boss points for the initial implementation, although for future a specific variable may be set at the same place in the script as a currently gives boss points, so that when boss points are actually used and can, presumably, disappear, players can still do it - and also the var should be in account, unlike boss points which are per-char)

Also, I think that the announcement and start should be automated (perhaps a map-local announce when there are 30 seconds to start), assuming there are at least 5 players on the map - and require 5 players to make the announce in the first place. Let's give people an incentive to show up on time, okay? I'm tired of going to Candor for something that will start "in 5 minutes" and waiting 15 minutes or half an hour for stragglers.

btw: trivial patch to use a map-local announce instead of npc speech: http://pastebin.com/Wm4225nm (Wombat hasn't been on IRC much recently)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
alastrim
Novice
Novice

Post by alastrim »

I tried to make a patch for the announcement idea. It works, but I would like to get a review on it, since I'm not sure it is the best way to do this.

http://pastebin.com/gTcXSSac
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Mistakes when you stop and think past what is good for yourself, you will find out that their are other people in this game that want to be your friend, work with you, and help you. All you have to do is stop only caring about mistakes for about 10 seconds.

And if you want to work together to defeat candor, the best way is to do a general announcement, to tell people you are trying to work with them, help them, and want to be their friends. I know that is hard for you but believe it, or not, it is possible. By working together to defeat candor, you build people skills, make friends, and help the developers balance the game.

None of that is possible mistakes, when you fire up your stacks of 10 characters. All you prove when you do fire up your group of 10 characters is that you can run 10 characters.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

DarkWater wrote:All you have to do is stop only caring about mistakes for about 10 seconds.
>>implying i care about mistakes
DarkWater wrote:And if you want to work together to defeat candor, the best way is to do a general announcement,.
NOPE. the best way to defeat candor has always been a small group of 90+ players, without the general announcement dragging in 20 noobs that are going to jack up the difficulty dramatically.
DarkWater wrote: to tell people you are trying to work with them, help them, and want to be their friends.
>>implying i want more friends
DarkWater wrote:I know that is hard for you
in my pants.
DarkWater wrote: None of that is possible mistakes, when you fire up your stacks of 10 characters. All you prove when you do fire up your group of 10 characters is that you can run 10 characters.
and you've done a fantastic job proving such.