Lumber Camp

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Lumber Camp

Post by o11c »

this is mostly an infodump, I just got the actual files from Enchilado (= poison_ivy)
design doc: http://piratepad.net/tmw-loggingcampproject
server data: http://gitorious.org/~o11c/tmw-eathena- ... serverdata
client data: http://gitorious.org/~o11c/tmwdata/tmw- ... clientdata
(nothing pushed to gitorious yet)

map status: (I have most of these maps in two copies, often with barely noticeable differences - TODO review them)
edit 025-1 to link to 035-1
new 035-1 loggingcamp-woodland has a soul menhir (currently inaccessible due to trees), links to 025-1 (north) and 036-1 (south)
new 036-1 loggingcamp-thegorge (needs editng to add my truly evil puzzle), links to 035-1 (north), 037-1 (south), and 038-1 (east)
new 037-1 loggingcamp (this map is mostly empty, but 036-1 has it filled in ??? Also, this map should definitely be bigger (there is a lot of unused space)), links to 036-1 (north)
new 038-1,-3,-2 loggingcamp-dell and -dellcaves, and the great tree, links to 036-1 and each other
new 039-1 loggingcamp-clearing, tiny map, no links, quest only

script status: there are some preliminary scripts, but they're worth it only for the dialog. In particular they use variables incorrectly and don't have real map data.

tileset status:
there were some conflicts, most of which were due to git having a newer version of files, but Woodland_ground.png has been modified to add a couple of lily pads, not sure if this project uses them?
new Woodland_x12.png (the great tree, in 3 variants - I'm not happy with this)
new bridge.png (should use the standard tiles in Woodland_ground.png instead - this mostly contains a new diagonal bridge, which will be removed for my evil puzzle)
new greattree_inside.png
new npc_crystal.png (inside the great tree, this should be an NPC graphic not a tileset)
new logs.png (miscellaneous logging camp graphics, contains duplicates)

item/monster/NPC graphics: deferred, some concept art
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: logging camp

Post by Crush »

Nice to see that this update is going along so well, despite its lack of public exposure on the development forums.

As an ex tileset artist I would be really interested in looking at the new tilesets. But I couldn't find them on the git repositories you posted. Can you provide links to them, please?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Pushed tilesets and preliminary maps to git, and deleted all the upstream branches. I pushed multiple copies of maps, and edited slightly to fix the warps (but not all maps have warps)

Thinking about adding a sound effect for if the player is stupid enough to walk off the cliff without making a bridge (after all, the map still shows it as walkable :twisted: ): a fading scream, followed by a splash. I want this to be heard by players who are not in the immediate area, but it shouldn't be louder just because multiple players who get assigned the sound are near each other ...
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I'm worried about the walking off the cliff thing, because I can't imagine how it would be done so that it played well. I like the idea of the log being placed down (so long as it is visible), but perhaps it'd be better if you just couldn't walk across unless the log had been placed?

There will be three types of wood (Rotten Logs, Raw Logs, and Heartwood); should Raw Logs work for crossing the gorge, or just Heartwood?

As for the lilypads - I wanted to have lots of them in the river, but it looked weird with them all facing the same way.

I put in the Crystal NPC as tiles instead of an NPC for two reasons. The first, and main, reason is that because it goes across about seven tiles, it can't be placed on the fringe layer without the player walking behind parts of it he shouldn't. Also, if it can be found in the NPC images, it is much more likely that it would be used for another purpose, and I don't want that.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

We need 7 mob ID reservations: Fireweed, Blueberry Bush, Blue Butterfly, Crocus, Flytrap, a stronger loghead ("Hardwood Loghead"?), and lumberjack boss. (We're also using Snail, which already has an ID)
We need 10 item ID reservations: Fireweed, Blueberry, Blue Butterfly Wing, Crocus Flower, Flytrap Trap, Rotten Log, Heartwood, Snail Slime, Protester's Reward (peace shirt), and lumber jack hat or something (enchilado thinks "oh, no, not another hat", but I disagree, and a quick poll during a quiet time (it's not like this is a total secret) showed strong support)

(also, in concord with Jack's statement "After I chopped off a few branches the whole tree started to move", our new logheads will look more like a tree)
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

That sounds great, and I think I can try to help. However, if you make a Blue Butterfly Wing, please also make a Red Butterfly Wing. In addition, rename the current Butterfly into Red Butterfly and the new one into Blue Butterfly, that will be easier for the players IMHO.

Best regards,
Ali-G
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

o11c wrote:We need 10 item ID reservations: Fireweed
Did you decide to go back to that? I thought it was decided to apply the effect after killing the fireweed plant, saving time during that battle.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Ali-G wrote:That sounds great, and I think I can try to help. However, if you make a Blue Butterfly Wing, please also make a Red Butterfly Wing. In addition, rename the current Butterfly into Red Butterfly and the new one into Blue Butterfly, that will be easier for the players IMHO.
Butterflies can be renamed, but there won't be Red Butterfly Wings as they would serve no purpose.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

@poison_ivy: about the red wings, that was only to make the game more coherent but I understand they will be useless for now, however they could be used later in other quests.
And another hat is always good ;)

Regards,
Ali-G
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

There are lots of hats in-game because they only need two to five frames, therefore making them much less daunting to draw. Players got used to have lots of hats and started to think that hats were, indeed, the purpose of TMW. They're not, and anyway I'm sure that enough will be added in other projects (especially holiday events) without having one in this project.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Given that the entire quest is a very political issue a peace sign seems fairly generic to the story.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Peace needs to be everywhere : in game and in real life so IMHO, I think that a peace sign is welcome.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

I believe an idea was discussed that you could choose to either help the lumberjacks or the protester, each path leading to a few different quests.

As long as people are interested in the lumber camp, this sounds like a good idea to me. If only a couple of people are working on it it's too much effort.

Anyone got ideas on future quests, for either path? Choosing to help the lumberjacks should lead to quests that show them in a good light, choosing to help the protester should show them as being cruel and ruthless or w/e. But neither path should be good/bad.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Why not allow more branching, good and evil paths for both? Evil for the protesters could get into environmental terrorism.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Lumber Camp

Post by meway »

This is my effort to help organize whats going on with lumber camp. https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... umber_Camp