Attack timer not reseting on move

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Attack timer not reseting on move

Post by Zutan »

I suspect this has been this way for a while also but could not find anything about it.

Attacking with the bow I found it the most obvious but I suspect it is the same with hand to hand.

Start attacking a creature while using a bow, after the bow is raised and before you launch an arrow move. When you go to attack again the arrow will launch very fast from the bow.
The amount the seems to carry over for screen changes as well.

using 1.0 from git a few weeks old but suspect this is client independent.

ps I need to learn to use mantis
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Re: Attack timer not reseting on move

Post by Zutan »

Weird. It might be a client issue or it is another issue.

on 1.0 there is a delay where by I am not firing my bow straight away however on .29 the delay seems greatly reduced.

Is this maybe something about the client interacting with the server in such a way that attacking is slowed in 1.0?

I can still repeat the issue I mention earlier but it is not as drastic considering the overall attack speed increase by using the official client.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Yay, the machine gun bow bug is back.
ps I need to learn to use mantis
Maybe you could be helped when you would describe what your problems are.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

Well I don't think it is a machine gun by any standard. From using both versions I am guessing that there is a link between the animation and the actual launch of the arrow as communicated to the server.
Such as:
1. press key
2. animation starts
3. signal sent to server stating launch of arrow
4. arrow launched.

IANAC(I am not a coder) but I hope this not the case especially as it would mean modification to the client could increase in game attack speed.

My needing to learn more about mantis is mostly to do with my dislike of maintaining so many accounts. Any chance my account in these forums gives me access to Mantis?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Zutan wrote:Well I don't think it is a machine gun by any standard. From using both versions I am guessing that there is a link between the animation and the actual launch of the arrow as communicated to the server.
Such as:
1. press key
2. animation starts
3. signal sent to server stating launch of arrow
4. arrow launched.

IANAC(I am not a coder) but I hope this not the case especially as it would mean modification to the client could increase in game attack speed.
The client doesn't send an "I launch an arrow" message for every single attack. It sends a "I start attacking target X" message the moment you press the attack key and starts to play the attack animation for the player sprite. No message for consecutive hits are required. The server assumes that the attacking continues until the target dies or the client sends a message which implies a cancellation of the attack (like "I move to position X:Y").

Repeating the attack animation and showing the fired arrow happens when the client receives a "Object X did Y damage to object Z" message.

The infamous machine gun bug I mentioned, and whichs reintroduction you might have discovered here, was a bug on the server which didn't cause the delay until the next attack to be maintained when breaking an attack by moving. When the client sends an attack packet, the damage of the first strike is applied immediately, then a period of delay happens before the damage of the next strike is calculated. When we still had the bug and the client quickly sent a move message cancelling the attacking followed by a second attack message to resume the attack, the first strike of the second attack was also calculated immediately ignoring the delay from the first one.

This allowed the players to reach extremely high attack speed by quickly alternating between attacking and moving.

Err, just to clarify, you do actually talk about a gameplay issue, not just the graphical representation, I pressume?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

Thanks for the clarification of the signal processing.

I am definitely referring to the time it takes between pressing the key and the first hit being indicated. I have not had any indication of a hit occurring that was not indicated nor of a hit/miss indication not appearing at time of an arrow launch.

When firing the bow slowly it looks like the bow is raised, drawn, put down, raised, partially drawn then arrow shoots. From pressing the button to the attack is maybe 2 seconds. By attacking and moving before the arrow fires the following attack is less than 1/2 second.

I do not see a way of exploiting this as after the shot the turn around time seems to become consistent and the amount of time before your interruption seems to have a inverse correlation to the amount of time remaining before your shot will fire on the second part of the attack. the quicker you interrupt the longer you still need to wait for your shot on the second starting of the attack, the longer you wait before you get your shot off the quicker your shot will be from the "second" attack.

It does work across multiple screen changes, but this makes it even more work to try to get a quick shot fired.

As you brought up the issue of it being display vs activity it reminds me that there is a response issue when talking to shop keepers and has me wondering if there may be a more fundamental signal issue. For example when selling multiple knives, on 1.0 the more knives the longer it takes for the server to allow processing the next item to sell on .29 the response is straight away.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Zutan wrote:Thanks for the clarification of the signal processing.

I am definitely referring to the time it takes between pressing the key and the first hit being indicated. I have not had any indication of a hit occurring that was not indicated nor of a hit/miss indication not appearing at time of an arrow launch.
Don't forget about network latency. When you press the attack button it takes a while until the first reaction from the server reaches you.
  • NOT a game master

Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

Crush wrote:Don't forget about network latency. When you press the attack button it takes a while until the first reaction from the server reaches you.
Well maybe this is what i am getting at regarding 1.0 vs .29. On .29 the game seems more responsive after the initial loading. Of course all of the features in 1.0 will gladly have me using it.