[WIP] New mage staff

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] New mage staff

Post by Merlin »

Messing around with the staff. I want to make something a little more fancier then the normal wood staff. Kinda working on it for my server but wouldn't mind it getting included in tmw. I've only edited up 2 frames atm. Someone had the idea of using the gemming system for this and making the tip dye-able based on what gem colour is in it.
Attachments
weapon-staff.png
weapon-staff.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] New mage staff

Post by salmondine »

Hi Merlin, Nice idea.
On IRC it was discussed: making inter-changeable staff heads...a skull...crystals...etc.
This fits in with your idea of "Gemming" the staff and the possible stat changes for different types.
We could have 20? varieties of staff heads.
I'd have to search my IRC logs but, as I recall, it was a 20x20 pixel upper size limit for these variations.
There was also some discussion of using xml to accomplish the graphic changes to make this work.
I really Like your staff =]
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Merlin, isn't that staff still made for the attack animation of the old playerset? Any new equipment sprites must now be made for the new one. Especially weapons, because it includes new attack animations especially for weapons like this.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I think it uses the pole-arm attack and it is for the current player-set in use. (Is that just an abuse of the punch animation as well? I never noticed. XD)Is there a weapon animation for staff attacks? If I port the idea over to a 1.5 player-set then we could see about implementing a solution to the gemming issue or method. The use of XML to change the head wouldn't be a problem with the 20x20 px window your talking about. If anything I'll finish the 1.0 version long before we're ready for 1.5 just for practice and trying to pixel it plus the frames would still be used in the 1.5 set.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... &start=120

The new playerset contains both a swinging and a trusting attack animation for two-handed weapons. I would rather use the swinging one, but it's your decision.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

I would just like to give a quick reminder that the playerset 1.5 base frames and xml are done. Server and client support for the new actions is still needed. It would help the conversion/testing of old equipment immensely if we had proper support for all its actions.

The new staff concept is great. I would definitely like to see it completed with the option to 'add' different crystals. For a playerset 1.5 version, I agree with crush that it would work best with the swing action. It would be like its being swung like a mace. Maybe a new action can be added for brandishing magical items such as wands: the user just holds it out in front of them for a brief moment while 'it does its thing' (the item itself will have the effects for how it zaps/glows/attacks).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

nmaligec wrote:Server and client support for the new actions is still needed.
The support is already there.

You define the attack animation used by a weapon in the file items.xml. Each <item> tag can have a property "attack-animation" which determines which action form the sprite definitions is played when the item is used as a weapon.
  • NOT a game master

Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

i am glad i had the idea of changing heads gems system and more Merlin when we had that talk about this you wantred ideas i gave you some

and glad some others did :)

and will be even more happier if it is ingame

developped the idea was to have a staff for each level +10 +20 +30 +40 +50 +60 +65 +70 +75 +80 +85 +90 +92 +94 +96 +98 +99
level requirement to be able to equiped
and to each level an attack and/or defense that would be different

why so may you ask

well

players are begining the game and arriving in tulimshar

there are quest to give arrows, bow
great to have a huge population of archers
quests to have equipement for warriors but not really very balanced and interesting
no quest for magic in tulimshar

so players go warrior and archer and then will discover magic later on in game

i've redone all quest with a char

my conclusion is that if you want to level in 3 days to level 60 it is quite easy (of course if you have all items from your main) instead of what it might take 3 weeks
problem being some of the items and the money (money is no problem if you have alts and main and not a problem if you don't have but just hunting bats everyday).
lvl 1-40 warrior and archer quests
lvl40-59 mage quests and skills quests
lvl 60 setzer quest

so problem is imho

lack of starting camp in order to be aware of magic archer and warrior
lack of story in game

no magic quests in tulimshar for newcomers

this staff would make a real good developement for the all game
and give consitance in the balance wished in game

got more ideas if you want them
as many in game

Sincerely