Katheti Online - Program Tools

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Katheti Online - Program Tools

Post by rootwo_62 »

This is my first program in a long time, it is meant to help people who can't use the item_db.txt file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B6F55QN1
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Re: Katheti Online - Program Tools

Post by baseballboy »

Dude that is awesome!
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Where is the sourcecode?

Sorry, but I don't run any exe which does not come from a well-known source unless I can look at the sourcecode first.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

I made something a little similar but for monsters:
Attachments
monsterdb.zip
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

@Crush: Well, sorry but I don't make opensource software. Also there is a linux version so its not only an executable file.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

More precisely, what is the licensing of your softwares?

Best regards.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Crush wrote:Where is the sourcecode?

Sorry, but I don't run any exe which does not come from a well-known source unless I can look at the sourcecode first.
That is almost as good as an up-to-date windows installation, a reasonable av-software and a heavily restricted user to run unknown software. (yeah, you can do that on windows too)

Or just run it and wonder what happens :)
rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

License Pending, but that doesn't mean i want to give out the source to my program that was meant to help and not be criticized.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

rootwo_62 wrote:License Pending, but that doesn't mean i want to give out the source to my program that was meant to help and not be criticized.
So other words you are just selfish jerk :) Closed source tools for open source game, that's kind of sad.

BTW Crush, you can run it in sandbox environment.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i wrote:BTW Crush, you can run it in sandbox environment.
You mean setting up a virtual machine, installing windows in it, installing eAthena on it, installing rootwos program and check that it doesn't delete any files, create any backdoors or install any malware?

That's too much work considering that I am not even involved in eA development anymore.
Matt wrote:reasonable av-software
Anti virus software can only detect what it knows. Heuristic detection is very unreliable.
rootwo_62 wrote:that doesn't mean i want to give out the source to my program that was meant to help
Your intention is helping? Then what are your reasons not to make it open source? When other people can improve the program or adapt it for other purposes it helps even more while you have less work.

Really, I don't understand why there are still programs which are developed without the intent to make money which are not open source. I simply see no reason to keep the sourcecode of a program secret when the motives behind developing the program are completely altruistic. There are only two reasons to keep a program closed source:

1. You want to secure your marked position. You don't want competing companies to benefit from your intellectual property or customers who improve your product on their own without being dependent from you for paid updates.
2. You have something to hide. In the best case it's just bad code. In the worst case it's malicious code. Adequate IT security is indistinguishable from paranoia, so one should always assume the second until proven otherwise.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
hacker07
Peon
Peon

Post by hacker07 »

Works for me. No problems. If you don't want to use it don't bother to criticize someones work.
hacker07
Peon
Peon

Post by hacker07 »

1. You want to secure your marked position. You don't want competing companies to benefit from your intellectual property or customers who improve your product on their own without being dependent from you for paid updates.
2. You have something to hide. In the best case it's just bad code. In the worst case it's malicious code. Adequate IT security is indistinguishable from paranoia, so one should always assume the second until proven otherwise.
I'm pretty sure those are not the only things. Maybe he doesn't feel like releasing it?
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

hacker07 wrote:Works for me. No problems. If you don't want to use it don't bother to criticize someones work.
hacker07 wrote:
I'm pretty sure those are not the only things. Maybe he doesn't feel like releasing it?
Your comments would have more weight when they were not posted by someone who registered from the same IP range as the OP. ;)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

hacker07 wrote:I'm pretty sure those are not the only things. Maybe he doesn't feel like releasing it?
Can you name any other reasons why one would "not feel" like releasing the sourcecode of a program?

Excuse the ad-hominem argument, but for someone who calls himself a "hacker", you don't seem to identify much with hacker values like open source software.
  • NOT a game master

hacker07
Peon
Peon

Post by hacker07 »

Crush wrote:
hacker07 wrote:I'm pretty sure those are not the only things. Maybe he doesn't feel like releasing it?
Can you name any other reasons why one would "not feel" like releasing the sourcecode of a program?

Excuse the ad-hominem argument, but for someone who calls himself a "hacker", you don't seem to identify much with hacker values like open source software.
Just trying to help someone out from some ignorant arguments. Everything doesn't have to be opensource right? Decompile it in ASM then i'm sure you won't have any worries.