Port forwarding?

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Port forwarding?

Post by Crush »

Eragon wrote:If I ask my ISP can they give me ipv4 or thats not possible?
Only your ISP can answer this question.

By the way, I didn't know that there even are consumer ISPs who offer IPv6-only internet access yet. Where do you live and which is your ISP?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

oh I just noticed something looks like ipv6 exists here but its not activated, but I dont know I tell you what I can see......
"Client for Microsoft Networks" has the options Install... and Properties.
"Service Advertising Protocol" has the options Install... and Uninstall.
"File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network" has the options Install... and Uninstall.
"QoS Packet Scheduler" has the options Install... and Uninstall.
"NWLink NetBIOS" has the option Install... .
"NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" has the options Install..., Uninstall and Properties.
"Network Monitor Drive" has the options Install... and Uninstall.

"Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" has the options Install... and Uninstall.
"Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" has the options Install... and Properties.

But no version 4 available...maybe the part "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is ipv4 but it doesnt tell that?"
Looks like Im connected to it not to the version 6...

The description of "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" is:
TCP/IP version 6. he next generation version of the internet protocol that provides communication across diverse interconnected networks.

The description of "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" is:
Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. The default wide area network protocol that provides communication across diverse interconnected networks.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

I think I know whats wrong...
I am connected with both "Local Area Connection" and "1392 Connection 2"
In "1392 Connection 2" I could Mark an option "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", but when I turn it on I have no internet...when I turn it off internet turns back on.
However connection "1392 Connection 2" has no IPs... cant understand it.....
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Eragon wrote:I think I know whats wrong...
I am connected with both "Local Area Connection" and "1392 Connection 2"
Eragon, I completely understand why you want to find a way to make this work. It's deeply frustrating to be told "no, sorry" with no ideas of how you can change that.

Here's what's going on. You have only one connection to the Internet: through your ISP. The physical connection from your computer could be over a wire (Local Area Connection), wireless (Wireless Connection) or Firewire cable (1394 Connection), but in the end it's all going through your ISP. You can even configure your computer to use IPv4, but that requires something to talk to. Right now, it appears your ISP is set up to use IPv6 and not IPv4.

If your ISP will sell you IPv4 service, you can make this work. If they won't, you cannot. The software is based on old code and will probably never be updated to use IPv6. If your ISP made the investment to upgrade to IPv6, it's probably because they simply ran out of space in IPv4 and required access to the greater number of IP addresses available in IPv6. This is normal in some parts of the world like Japan.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Frost wrote:The software is based on old code and will probably never be updated to use IPv6.
Adding IPv6 support is at least planned for Manaserv (http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=296), but until now we were considering this topic low priority because we considered IPv6-only internet connections to be next to nonexistent.

Unfortunately this might not even help Eragon. According to the logs his posts are made from various different IPv4 addresses. It seems like his provider is using 4to6 NAT translation. This makes it impossible to host any services for people outside of the providers network.

Eragon, considering that you are dodging any questions about your geographical location or your ISP you seem to be very concerned about your privacy. But can you still please post the first 4 digits of your IPv6 addresses? This would tell us if they are even globally routeable (meaning that you can provide services for other users with IPv6-capable internet connections). The first 4 digits of an IPv6 address determine the address type and don't include any information about who they are assigned to.

You can see all of your network adapter and which IP addresses are assigned to them through the command ipconfig on windows or ifconfig on linux.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

I contacted my ISP and they said ipv6 is not in use, and I installed manually...they said I have ipv4.
But maybe the problem is on the way I connect?
I am connected via "Local Area Network" but maybe I can create another way of connection, something like Dial-up connection?
I dont know if this would work but its worth a try. :wink:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

And just answer my simple questions.
If you pretend to know what you are talking about you maybe miss some little thingy and we could talk here for ages.

I guess discussing about IPv6 and v4 went already too far.

Hell, maybe you are a troll and want to create an endless-support-thread.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Eragon wrote:My computer is using IPv6 only.
Eragon wrote:I contacted my ISP and they said ipv6 is not in use, and I installed manually...they said I have ipv4.
Matt wrote:And just answer my simple questions.
If you pretend to know what you are talking about you maybe miss some little thingy and we could talk here for ages.
Hell, maybe you are a troll and want to create an endless-support-thread.
The problem no longer appears to be technical. I'm beginning to agree with you, Matt.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Eragon wrote:I contacted my ISP and they said ipv6 is not in use, and I installed manually...they said I have ipv4.
I am connected via "Local Area Network" but maybe I can create another way of connection, something like Dial-up connection?
I dont know if this would work but its worth a try. :wink:
It seems like your network configuration is more Duck up than we thought. I think we will not be able to help you here. You need someone who knows about windows network configuration to look directly at your machine.
  • NOT a game master

Eragon
Peon
Peon

Post by Eragon »

Thx for the idea Crush I will call someone of my ISP to come in my house and repair it for me...they came for things I could fix alone so why not now?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Yeah, lets just hope your ISP likes providing server services on your private line. At least its forbidden here in germany with certain ISPs.