Part of rebalance process. (Tulimshar remake and npc dialog)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Part of rebalance process. (Tulimshar remake and npc dialog)

Post by meway »

Would anyone be against remaking tulimshar? Not the graphics but just the general layout of the map. I was thinking adding 3 buildings maybe 4 (just as main buildings) And kinda do questing from those three trying the get the players used to controls and things. We need to redo Ian and even give him some of the simplest control walk through help. My idea eventually would be to put Warriors, mages, and archers closer as a starting point this way there more apparent from the beginning. Also probably should view some other topics from this thread.

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=12641
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Part of rebalance process. (Tulimshar remake and npc dia

Post by Crush »

Although this is not really what comes to my mind when mention rebalancing (i am rather thinking about armors, exp per monster and magic), improving the gameplay experience for newbies and making it as beginner-friendly as possible is also very important. The first gameplay hours decide if someone will become a veteran player or drops the game immediately.

You are talking about changing the design of Tulimshar. Although I am certainly not going to oppose this in any way I am wondering if Tulimshar is really the best place for a newbie starting point. It is a very large city spanning two very large maps. It is easy for a beginner to get lost in it.

Maybe we should move the starting point to a new smaller, more simple, satellite town of Tulimshar and make Tulimshar the second place to visit.

Just an idea. Remember, you don't have to listen to me anymore.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hello

there were many discussions about The Logging Camp

i cannot find much posts relative to it

this one for example

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... amp#p60665

Were is that long post in which a lot of people participated in developing the ideas of the logging camp and may or may not be in it ?

anyone can find it in forum and bump it please

Thanks
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush I would have went with another map but the woodland map can be tricky to work with sometimes. If at all possible I would go with some place near agitha the witch and make a town there. Jumpy as for your question you would have to get on subject with enchilado pm him for more details.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

meway wrote:Crush I would have went with another map but the woodland map can be tricky to work with sometimes. If at all possible I would go with some place near agitha the witch and make a town there. Jumpy as for your question you would have to get on subject with enchilado pm him for more details.
I was rather thinking about a new town using the Tulimshar tileset which is geographically located in the vicinity of Tulimshar, but whatever works for you.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

meway wrote:Jumpy as for your question you would have to get on subject with enchilado pm him for more details.
there were great ideas in a post talking about the logging camp
where is that post ? this is all my question
your answer is not an answer to my question

anyway...

i think it was in 2009
ideas went to developement REQ if i remember well so i don't see why you answer this
map, graphism and what may or may not be inside

this game lack completely of a logging - starting camp imho this is all
logging camp is where everything is starting
where people will decide if they'll stay in game or not

Sincerely
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I thought the logging camp was a new content update which is targeted at the mid-high level range. Maybe Wombat can clarify here.
  • NOT a game master

Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

yes, that would be nice to clarify this indeed

thanks Crush
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Crush wrote:
meway wrote:Crush I would have went with another map but the woodland map can be tricky to work with sometimes. If at all possible I would go with some place near agitha the witch and make a town there. Jumpy as for your question you would have to get on subject with enchilado pm him for more details.
I was rather thinking about a new town using the Tulimshar tileset which is geographically located in the vicinity of Tulimshar, but whatever works for you.
i like this idea. Perhaps only allow the player out after level 5 or so. Have Ian there giving a basic walk through; how to attack, what the soul menhir does, the TWO ways you can interact with npcs (mouse or keyboard), how to pick up items. If the server supports it, you could have Ian tell the player how to attack and pickup upon creation, then at lvl 3 tell the player the how to interact with the npcs, and lvl 5 tell them about the soul menhir as they are pushed out into the 'real' world.
sexy red bearded GM
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

You know that beach everyone forgot about above the sea slime? Anyways we are set on that map for a nube town. We are now discussing what to put on that map and how to do skills besides doing it how we currently do and just give them away. I thought I should post an update on progress lol also BC I'm always on irc and more development is done there than here so if you want more detail meets me there plex. concepts and ideas are still floating.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

meway wrote:Anyways we are set on that map for a nube town.
good to know can we know more about it ?
meway wrote:We are now discussing what to put on that map and how to do skills besides doing it how we currently do and just give them away.
easy
have players without the possibility to do their stats while creating char then entering in the map a npc to say hello you may talk to xxx
xxx will say hello mage archer and warrior description and give a bow, 100 arrows and a knife, some maggot slimes and some iron powder and lifestones
then
go to aaa for archer
go to www for warrior
go to mmm for mage
aaa www mmm same as sagatha or ausbeld, the one for maillatd eye skill, kfhar
each one would teach to the player how to use the stats and the weapons or components
ej : maillard eye

each time, after the training, the npc would reset stats to 0

then comming back to the first npc xxx

this one would say
now i get back the weapon i gave to you
you have to make your own way, with honor and respect
here's your first mission
after mission one complete go back to xxx
lvl 1
lvl 5
lvl 10
lvl 15
lvl 20

5 missions
2 first mission for general purpose so that they know the world that will come after this loggin camp
ej :
presenting tulimshar
presenting hurnscal
3 other mission to gain the basic weapon and equipment
one mission can be done with several npc
ej newcomers quest in tulimshar (even if i find some hard to make for a beginner (turn the key for example)

then xxx would send the player to the port
he would talk to a npc and would pay his ticket to tulimshar
george the pirate if an island
a mage to teleport him

just some ideas....
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

As you know, the story line of tulimshar is that of aan earthquake happening or summat....
I think,to make the game better, is to follow that stryline more. they haven't done this on the other servers.
We should have quests like e.g. omar in tulim, and he's daughter,khadija, we cud have something like 'my daughter is trapped in the ruined part of the city, please help me find her!' and, yes I totally agree with the idea of a smaller map.

We cud also pay people in game to stay in noob town and act as a guide to noobs and help them out.paying meaning, we give them gp or items lol not IRL cash :p
Nami
Novice
Novice

Post by Nami »

And we cud actually make a small map whhere all the buildings are ruined and we cud make iyt quite dangerous (a few snakes and black scorps wwandering the streets)

Also we cud make summat like their life depletes slowly the longer they stay in the ruined town (to give the effect of smoke and buildings collapsing) so this makes it more fun.
As I sed b4 (omar and his lickles girl) the players can wander around looking for her. ;p
MrDemonWolf
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDemonWolf »

Well since your looking for ideas I have one that could be tried haven't been able to test it yet myself, but here it is. I was thinking a tribal people based inn the desert area somewhere. (your choice on where) My idea was that the highest level the player would be able to achieve would be 10 at the most probably not that much but thats just an example. Anyways the story could be that you are a young warrior whose just reached the age to where you could be allowed to go on the tribes hunt before the big sandstorm that the shaman predicted comes (shaman would be the character you would deal with the most also could lead into the story with the sandstorm in the desert now/the I think earthquake is what it says not sure whatever it is could be why that happened whatever) you will be told about the different paths you can take (ex. mage, warrior, and archer) then you would be given tasks to complete before you can go out on the hunt. (not going into a lot of detail for it would be to long) once you complete the tasks set before you (these tasks would also help you with understanding the basics) you would be allowed to leave the camp. when you try to leave it would bring up some dialog saying you got caought in the sandstorm. When you get done reading it you will have lost the equipment you did have (in my opinion it needs to be weaker then the weakest equipment now that way the player will get the next strongest equipment) and you will wake up (or be in whatever) in the tulimshar inn the NPC rebeka I think her name is will tell you why your there and why you lost your equipment(will have to change her scripting I know but seemed like a good idea to me) {could use bandits as an idea your choice} and she will tell you where to go next which will be ian (have to change his scripting as well. actualy using my idea would change a lot of script from the npcs that give you quests in tulimshar but it would connect them all together nice and fluidly and when you got done you would have a nice understanding of the games mechanics and how it works) well I think this is long enough now so I think I will leave it here and let you go from there if you want more info though just ask and I will provide it. :D
Never quit and Never give up

In game acts:
Mr Demon Wolf/Demonfox as alt.

Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

Sounds like a useful place for a newbie town. Adding a dock might be appropriate(maybe not available right away), otherwise travel could get cumbersome.