I need data logs for server stat and general re-balance.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: I need data logs for stat re-balance.

Post by meway »

Zutan wrote:
meway wrote:There are 8 random items that unclear what to do with besides sell it as a new player.In order to fix this I propose making monster drops map sepcific. People in the past just reused the monster recolord them and named the something else. I think this would be acceptable and make questing in one area simpler.
this seems to answer the wrong overall question, this can add some variety but will still result in the same problem.
Currently we have to run all over hell and there is no apparent story line or point to the game besides grinding.
This seems the crux of the issue, how do we engage the player so they feel a reason behind their actions or even better a sense of anticipation.
Some of this information is based on grinding alone without questing. Npc's should be more nuby friendly and direct new players in the direction and give description of the pathway to where there going.
What Ian does, interacting with a player encourages the player to interact with him. If this can be triggered on proximity then the npc's can be made to prompt the players. Another way is when npc's participate in local chat, if "Get your weapons here!" along with other messages could be called out by Neko every 5 - 10 minutes along with others in the Market areas it would give a feeling of a market and in general indicate to the players that the npc's are ready to engage with them. If NPC's could whisper a message on proximity "Psst. Got any Scorpion Stingers."(this would also encourage use of the chat system) In theory if a player wanted they should be able to ignore an npc's chatter. These kind of changes would be able to be used to drive story lines and as a result player engagement with the environment.

A variety of rpg's use the in game chat system as part of quests, needing to send a specific message to some npc when at a particular location for instance

Oh and a quest log/journal would help too.

"That shield looks a bit worn, you should speak to Jack about a new one"
"Not using a shield, eh. Well if you come to your senses, talk to Jack about making one for you."
You seem to have the right idea. But when stating you have a problem with part of my quote you should give more detail of what is wrong with it. I'm sure you have more concerns than just those. These idea's are just concept for now but I would like to get something going and a good team soon.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: I need data logs for server stat and general re-balance.

Post by Crush »

blablablabla wrote:
  • Hurnscald is where all the people is, Tulimshar where the newbies begin. Not good at all, newbies need help. Not easy to address in one day, my guess would be working towards distributed initial content between the two cities.
The question is: Why is Hurnscald the meeting place of the veterans? Because Hurnscald is the spawn point which is the nearest to all high level content. Remember the time where the Tulimshar mines and the snake pit were the high level training areas? Tulimshar was the meeting point #1 and Hurnscald was deserted. Then the Hurnscald mines were added and everyone moved to Hurnscald.

Instead of separating the newbie content between Hurnscald and Tulimshar, which is very inconvenient for the newbies because they have to travel a lot and get used to two different locations at the same time, it would make more sense to place some high level content near Tulimshar to attract the veterans.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

When restatting monsters, we could make certain levels best suited against the monsters in a particular area. For example, from level 1 to 20 you stay in Tulimshar, move to Hurnscald until level 40, then go to Nivalis until level 60, go back to Hurnscald until level 80, and finally return to Tulimshar until level 99. Or something.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I suggest we encourage more independent game play for now and use things as for as being mmo like candor to group people together.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

meway wrote:
Zutan wrote:
meway wrote:There are 8 random items that unclear what to do with besides sell it as a new player.In order to fix this I propose making monster drops map sepcific. People in the past just reused the monster recolord them and named the something else. I think this would be acceptable and make questing in one area simpler.
this seems to answer the wrong overall question, this can add some variety but will still result in the same problem.
. . .when stating you have a problem with part of my quote you should give more detail of what is wrong with it. I'm sure you have more concerns than just those.
This is main reason for my concern. That being what do you want a focus on. I have played on and off for a few years and have seen the term "rebalance" be applied to a variety of issues within the TMW ecosystem. The variety that spring to mind are, the time vs levelling curve, number of quest vs levelling curve, weapon power curve, solo vs co-operative play, armour power curve, stat power curve, magic power curve, magic variety, armour variety, weapon variety, quest variety, definable classes and I sure there are others. These are issues that all games have and no matter what is focused on it will impact the other areas. By choosing what to focus on a frame work can be generated. By having a frame work for one area it can be tweaked to work in conjunction with the other areas.

I believe that improving the interactions with the npc's to go from passive, npc's ignore you until you click on them, to active, npc's seek you out before you click on them and maybe even before you see them, will bring an immersiveness that will make grinding less of a "well there is nothing else to do" into "I hope I can get this done, I really want to progress the story"

A greater variety of quests can be a boon and will give more for players to do however as soon as the bits are done there will be a reversion back to grinding. Interactions as opposed to new actions will create desire beyond completing a quick task or just gaining an item.

I have not looked into the content development tools in a while and I will look around again to see what tools there are now. The last time I looked I had the impression that after a story was created it could be reasonably easily scripted but had limits. As I have written this is has developed an image in my mind of a client that would have tools to allow it to build an NPC, place it in the world, develop its scripts and activate them. So a development tool that supports the story writers. Being an administrator level task would of course require the correct permissions, however it should be created such that it generates/edits the files it needs on the server itself. From this content could be generated on a test server from a story telling point of view and when found stable there could be copied over to main server. Eventually things like monsters and maps might also get integrated. To me this seems it would be a mammoth task.

The only other concern I have about making "questing in one area simpler" is the possibility of it being over implemented thus resulting in players being discouraged from exploring. I don't expect this to happen so I did not mention it.
blablablabla
Newly Registered User

Post by blablablabla »

Crush wrote:Instead of separating the newbie content between Hurnscald and Tulimshar, which is very inconvenient for the newbies because they have to travel a lot and get used to two different locations at the same time, it would make more sense to place some high level content near Tulimshar to attract the veterans.
I agree, it makes more sense, and will be faster to adapt to this.
blablablabla
Newly Registered User

Post by blablablabla »

Zutan wrote:The only other concern I have about making "questing in one area simpler" is the possibility of it being over implemented thus resulting in players being discouraged from exploring. I don't expect this to happen so I did not mention it.
I love exploring! Maybe You could motivate players to explore with some bonusses? Examples:
a) explorer points : certain "areas" of the map or interactions with objects or npcs trigger gained explorer points.
b) "some" monsters of level X dunnot attack you unless you are X / Y level
c) vendors or crafters of special items (more of them).
d) NPC explorer (indiana jones outfit seems a cliche, but may work), exchanges your points and gives you clues/hints.

Thanks for reading my ideas!