Spam Cops

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Should we add spam cops?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 23
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Spam Cops

Post by baseballboy »

Looking through the forums, I noticed that there is just too much spam. I was curious what you guys (Player community, devs, GMs, everyone) thought about adding a group to the forum specifically for removing spam from the forum. Just sounded like a good idea.

Thanks, BBB
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
MrDemonWolf
Peon
Peon

Re: Spam Cops

Post by MrDemonWolf »

from a player it sounds like a good idea. If nothing else just to go through and clean it up and get rid of irrelevant/old topics etc.
Never quit and Never give up

In game acts:
Mr Demon Wolf/Demonfox as alt.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I am not exactly sure if you are referring to advertisement posts of spam bots or to messages from real people you consider inappropriate.

When you are talking about the first: I think that our reaction time to them is already good enough. But it could still be improved a bit when people would flag them as spam through the report feature of the forum.

When you are talking about the second: I think I know at least one user who stood out through a lot of superfluous one word posts like "congrats", "agreed", "+1" or "Meway is 1337" last night and might currently work against himself here.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Zutan
Novice
Novice

Post by Zutan »

I would have to agree that forum moderation seems quite effective.

If you notice spam, click the report button. I suspect if you spam the report button it will come back to bite you though, so I would avoid any grudge usage.
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

/me reports every spam post in this spammy thread as spam. good job though spammers.
ChefChelios
Novice
Novice

Post by ChefChelios »

me was voting "no" because crush&co are doing a good job on these.. i have never seen a real spam here for longer than 3-5 hours...
...und lachend stellte der Tod seine Sense beiseite und stieg auf den Mähdrescher, denn es war Krieg.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

I have to agree with chef up there, the forum admins do enough of a great job of removing the spam. everytime a post is reported they dont stay up for long.

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
anunitu
Peon
Peon

Post by anunitu »

I kind of wish they diden't call it SPAM, Real SPAM(IN THE CAN) Makes a quick and tasty snack.
noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Post by noelleionscowl »

Not exactly. It's too salty.

And anyways, isn't there something in the rules that says that anything is allowed as long as it is PG-13?
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

noelleionscowl wrote:isn't there something in the rules that says that anything is allowed as long as it is PG-13?
Its not exacly pg 13 when bots put things up about drugs and pleasure toys.

Yubaba
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

I can see some spam treads for few days...
Maybe the best solution is to change captcha to http://www.google.com/recaptcha or add box with a question bot cannot answer?
I think our captcha must be just decoded to easily.
I'm Image too much.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

When the forums are set to use ReCaptcha, the captcha won't show up on the registration page, though for some reason it does show up in the preview in the acp.

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Freeyorp101 wrote:When the forums are set to use ReCaptcha, the captcha won't show up on the registration page, though for some reason it does show up in the preview in the acp.

---Freeyorp
It seems to be a theme issue. I gave the theme files to some people who wanted to fix them and haven't heard back.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush wrote:I am not exactly sure if you are referring to advertisement posts of spam bots or to messages from real people you consider inappropriate.

When you are talking about the first: I think that our reaction time to them is already good enough. But it could still be improved a bit when people would flag them as spam through the report feature of the forum.

When you are talking about the second: I think I know at least one user who stood out through a lot of superfluous one word posts like "congrats", "agreed", "+1" or "Meway is 1337" last night and might currently work against himself here.
But I am 1337 :p I chose yes because I have no clue how many topics I reported to Irc or the ! option. Reaction time is not effective IMO. I see spam that's been there for years and some months, My concern is mostly adds.
noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Post by noelleionscowl »

...drugs and pleasure toys.
How did you find out? That's none of your business!
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"