my attempt at a new monster

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

Great Monster. :)

Please Admins tell if you like it, so we get it ingame soon :)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

my "cute" version next to ultims version:
Image Image
note that the impression is completely different although i just changed the eyes, the mouth and the nose a little bit and did nothing to the body.

maybe we should find a consensus about the way how the eyes of all monsters should look, because the eyes are the most important part when it comes to the general style.
Last edited by Crush on 09 Nov 2005, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Cuter. Now with little fireguys and leaf-dudes.

(At the time of this post, the two files are somehow crossing and messing up Crush's post. Sorry, Crush)
xand
Novice
Novice

Post by xand »

To be honest: Those fireguys and Leaf-Dudes look a bit weird, and
a bit plain.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

fixed. stange. i could have sworn that i already replied to this. maybe i closed it accidently instead of posting it.

the "leaf dudes" remind me of the early (very early) walt disney cartoons.

i'm quite indifferent about the "flame guys".

i don't like what you did to the body shading of the predator. with only 2 different colors it looks very flat and 8bit.

but your new face is another good draft. i would like to hear some opinions about all 3 drafts. not only if they look good or bad. i would like to know what they would "say" to you, when they could speak. to me they say:
"you dare stepping into my lair? You will suffer endless pain for this!"

"aww, a ball! wanna play! wanna play!"

"hmm, a human wandering in my hunting grounds. i think i could beat him when i attack in the right moment."
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Very flat and plain, indeed. i was looking at some of the graphics we have made, and their intricate, heavily-shaded designs make them look too crowded and busy. The most recent redo i did of the creature got rid of most of what i call "excess coloring." You get used to believing, as a pixeller, that if you change one pixel the entire work will be changed. However, with so much detail you can change large sections of any given piece and the change will go unnoticed because the viewer is already visually drowned in detail. i think less intricate graphics will contribute more to the overall look of the game. Less is more.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i made an attack animation:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

It's a bit static, don't you think?
This message used to be meaningful.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Looks beautiful. The static thing would be a quick fix- just make him lunge forward. Not too much work there.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Front view of the Predator

By the way, the creature is imaginative. "Predator" is not so much. How about something else? How about "Crultim" after the collaboration?
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

He doesn't seem to be standing very... stable. In the side view his paws/feet were pointing outward giving a more stable feel.
Also with a bit more shading the shape could be more clear by adding some depth. As it is now it could be a goblin with horns.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ultim wrote:Image
Front view of the Predator
the eyes and the tail look different than in the side version and the inner sides of the legs could be bend.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

maybe we should find a consensus about the way how the eyes of all monsters should look, because the eyes are the most important part when it comes to the general style.
I don't see why should, also I don't care if there are monster that look scary and others that look goofy as long as we keep some diversity.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Ultim wrote:Image

Cuter. Now with little fireguys and leaf-dudes.

(At the time of this post, the two files are somehow crossing and messing up Crush's post. Sorry, Crush)
ha I like the leaf guy

we should have a monster like spot. (who was the 7up mascot.)
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think the leaf and the flame are too Mario/Keen-like in style.

...yes I think that's bad in this case.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io