[WIP] Re-make of The Walls of Tulsimer

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: [WIP] Re-make of The Walls of Tulsimer

Post by Matt »

You, sir, are the man!
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

:D Your awesome! Hey len I was wondering if you could season your set. Winter, summer, fall, spring, ? different variations.

offtopic I would keep working on woa if jax kept it running for more than a week.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Very nice. Once you get them tillable and a complete 8 way set I might even try and resurface the existing cliffs with this new style. Even if TMW doesn't use them I sure will on my fork. It looks like your making progress and are starting to work out the tileablity of the set. I don't think you need as many variations as Meway suggested but a set with the ground removed could be re-coloured to fit other landscapes. (I'm already thinking about how they would look grey with a grassland ground) Once I have something that's complete I'll edit up w/e variations I could think of using. Honestly these cliffs made greyish would definitely be better then the cliff tiles I'm currently using in my project. I will be following this closely.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

meway wrote::D Your awesome! Hey len I was wondering if you could season your set. Winter, summer, fall, spring, ? different variations.

No please, he should first finish the first complete set, one of the many reasons that not much graphical stuff gets done at TMW is that artists tend to work on 1320438 projects at the same time :/ (Hello iru, yes, i mean you - oh and Frode!)

@Merlin:
With so few stuff going on on the graphical site of TMW (code-wise too maybe?) I doubt the powers who be will request such highquality tilesets, and if they only somehow fit in with the rest of the tilesets...wait... is the highquality forest tileset still not ingame? If you shame on you powers, shame on you! (whoever that is on the moment)
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Ummm those "High-Quality" tilesets tile and scale like garbage or I would have remapped the woodlands long ago.
They look nice in there little tileset but they can't build anything bigger then what's there without it showing. I've tried and tried and they are not good to work with.
I've been looking at cliffs in every game I can think of and even looked at some that aren't even out yet and I find error's in even some of the pro stuff I see. (Maybe I've been staring at 32x32 grids too long!! XD)

It's not like the tileset match in graphical quality now. If we're going break why break even with the quality of existing work.
Set the bar "higher" not "even" imo. I never thought this could be re-made "too good" for use. I under took this little project because I figured I couldn't edit up anything worst then what was there already.

Should I continue using Len's graphics or scale the project back to the more similar edit of the existing dessert for TMW?
I know what I'm using on mine. I'm going with Len's grfx. They match the style of my place better. What does the powers that be want for tmw?
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Matt wrote:
meway wrote::D Your awesome! Hey len I was wondering if you could season your set. Winter, summer, fall, spring, ? different variations.

No please, he should first finish the first complete set, one of the many reasons that not much graphical stuff gets done at TMW is that artists tend to work on 1320438 projects at the same time :/ (Hello iru, yes, i mean you - oh and Frode!)

@Merlin:
With so few stuff going on on the graphical site of TMW (code-wise too maybe?) I doubt the powers who be will request such highquality tilesets, and if they only somehow fit in with the rest of the tilesets...wait... is the highquality forest tileset still not ingame? If you shame on you powers, shame on you! (whoever that is on the moment)
LOL yes this is true.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Matt wrote:(Hello iru, yes, i mean you - oh and Frode!)
Hello Matt :) I'm glad that you still remember me XD
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

i wrote:
Matt wrote:(Hello iru, yes, i mean you - oh and Frode!)
Hello Matt :) I'm glad that you still remember me XD
There you are, I was so afraid that you won't be reading my post :)
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Here's the latest edition of the desert remake along with a little thing I'm messing with.
I replaced the old statue with the new one. I added the grass from lens set and make the inside turns for those.
Next post will have the other files that have something to actully show and after I few fixes (Shadow on the well etc..) I will have be about done with this. I plan on re-drawing the sign with the new wood pallate for the set in the way I did the fencing.
Attachments
desert_x2.png
desert_x2.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
desert2.png
desert2.png (182.82 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
desert1.png
desert1.png (136.12 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
MerlinX420
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Here's the other sets with major changes. I have also edited the transwoodland set as some of those tiles are in use for the water way. I drew a new stone pillar for use on the 3x set. I think i would like to attempt to replace some of the rocks as well but even considered replacing the 3x high stone with something entirely different. The latest thing I've done is an attempt at a pyramid structure. It's not scalable and the recreating the block pattern used on the front on the sides was a nightmare so I'm most likely going to re-do it and make one that's scalable so that ones of varying size can be mapped from it. Currently it is a 7x high tileset and from a quick map test it looks kinda cool in this desert.
Attachments
desert_7x.png
desert_7x.png (16.44 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
desert_x3.png
desert_x3.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 3608 times
MerlinX420
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

This is great work, if these are approved i would very much like to add these tiles to my map project i am working on. Knowing Soon if these are approved would be better than knowing much later considering. :)

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

wow I like the progress on these tiles is there any ideas for maps because it would be nice if we could include baseballboy (b3) into map making. As far as I know merlin is still in charge of map making. I will be more available now that I am in MI.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

well i am working on a map project meway but i would like to get these tiles approved first and my monsters made. it would be a leveling map with newer monsters and so on.

Yubaba
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The pyramid looks good, but the perspective is incorrect - for a 45° angle the height of the pyramid's base should be 70% of its width. The base is 320 pixels wide, and so should be 224 pixels high. Conveniently, the image is in fact 320x224 pixels in size, so you can easily see how big the base of the pyramid should be.

Also, while some early Egyptian pyramids were made from sloping bricks it was soon found to be rather unstable. If this is supposed to be an Egyptian-style pyramid, you might want to redraw the bricks vertical (and probably larger). If it's meant to be both Egyptian-style and relatively new, it might still have the white limestone casing that the Egyptian pyramids originally had.

If it's not meant to be an Egyptian-style pyramid, then it possibly looks too much like one.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Yeah it was a rather quick draw and I was wondering about the perspective. Ty for pointing that out. I'm even considering doing a more Inca or Mayan type multi tiered pyramid. I'm aware of the change of construction of them ,but the sloped sides is what the popular conception of a pyramid would be. (This is one of those rare cases where I would actually consider popular conception over reality and I think everyone knows how picky I am on building and construction depictions.) Considering this isn't earth I guess it wouldn't necessarily meant to be an "Egyptian" pyramid. I assume these structures would be ancient and not modern in tmw. Nice ideas for me to mess with ty for the feedback and correct math. I was internet-less and couldn't remember what the guidelines on perspective were and just kinda mindlessly drew it. I didn't even have any reference images at the time either so it was a blind effort. :)

I'm not in charge of map making for eA I think that would only apply to CR1 content or am I? LOL I care not for titles or power I just want to make us some nice stuff to use and enjoy the game and the fun of making it. All the work I have ever done has not been pushed upon me but taken up of my own accord. If someone would like to map content then go for it. AFAIK there's never been any plan to expansion of the dessert area and would consider this wide open for anyone to map with whatever they decide or imagine. There is some remapping of existing maps that would need to be done once and if these new tilesets where used. I was going to do this myself once I complete the set but I wouldn't turn down help and I've found it not to bad to fix the errors in the change of sets. Somethings on the old set where used in odd ways that cause some off things to appear when you replace the sets. I've done a pretty good job of not breaking to much and find that this can be done easily enough.

None of the work is actually mine besides some creative editing of Len's desert, AxxTrolls cliffs, and someone's take on the tulsimer walls earlier in the thread. The market stall is Ejoll's (sp) work. I guess the only thing I truly pixeled myself was the little 3x high monument and the sides of the pyramid. I also think I did a horrid job of the sloped sand and will most likely re do it as well. Still if you add these files to you local data you will see the dessert area totally transformed into something very pretty and I'm please so far with the progress.
MerlinX420