i would like some info on nintendo DS client projects

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

witeds
Newly Registered User

Re: i would like some info on nintendo DS client projects

Post by witeds »

you think i was planing on just taking and converting the code i have looked at it and even before i did i knew that doing it form scratch based of the working product would be the best way i posted this to get ideas on what has already been attempted not to be told to try something else i don't care if I'm on my own here or any where else i chose this project to get a hold the the C/C++ language which by the way is what the ds uses with a few of its own libraries i wasn't thinking of something as advanced as manna plus and granted i know some things will go in difference

the graphics i see can be used on the ds thats the base to start on Graphics and basic controls then interaction with players and other things.

if this game can run on windows 95 then it sure as heck can run on ds!
doom dose there is a port of doom engine that uses the wads on the ds.
DSOrganize don't just use ds libs it also uses standard C/C++ libs in its source.

I'm not trying to make enemies here just to do something and it appears that its something as usual that i am told cannot be done, if any one cant understand that i don't listen to can't be dones because there is so many thing that have been said like that and i have personally done it and know that just cause some one says it can't doesn't always make it true so I'm going to try weather i get what i am here for or not but what i don't want to hear is people saying something is impossible because for me nothing ever has been impossible there is only improbable.

i really didn't want a rant post but you guys just don't seem to get that your own goal to be a multi system game dose include the ds if some one like me wants to build it game.
any one who says that something cannot be done they have not tried to break boarders i will always try to go past what is said can't be done because cant is a dirty word that should not exist.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Just create your game and ignore us, I will be happy to test it since Ive got a DSl and a flashcard.

BTW, I don't think the DS really hits the system requirements of Windows 95 ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95 ... quirements

I actually wonder if TMW would run on Windows 95, I think I already upgraded from 98 before I first started playing TMW...
RooO
Peon
Peon

Post by RooO »

there is a way to load windows 95 on psp so if i run it can i install tmw on the OS ?

@edit windows 98 can run on psp too :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I never tried TMW on any windows prior to XP. But I think I got CDs for windows 95 and 98 laying around somewhere. I think I will set up some virtual machines and check out if it runs. Most likely issues will be outdated system DLLs.

To get back on the handheld issue: When a platform properly emulates an operating system on which the mana client can run, it should theoretically run on it when the platform provides the proper amount of memory and cpu power.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I don't think that bochs emulates opengl hardware, so, no. :P
Pure cpu emulation will be too slow, and I doubt it virtualizes cpu + gpu.

So not gonna happen ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I wouldn't try the OpenGL mode on such an outdated operating system anyway.

Also, virtual box and vmware are better than bochs.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
witeds
Newly Registered User

Post by witeds »

i am getting a tool that may help me with this its DS Game Maker it should help me get started but first what sprite size you guys use and are they streamed over or how is it done with the normal clients
any one who says that something cannot be done they have not tried to break boarders i will always try to go past what is said can't be done because cant is a dirty word that should not exist.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

what sprite size you guys use and are they streamed over or how is it done with the normal clients
Moving objects can have any sprite size. The player sprites are 32x64, but they can theoretically be a lot larger or smaller. Map tiles are fixed to 32x32, although we support map tiles with other heights on the fringe map layer (height must be a multiple of 32).

Graphics and other resource files are downloaded at startup.

When the client connects, it downloads a list of content packages (zip archives) and their checksums from the update server. The client then compares the list with the content packages it already has on its hard drive. When some packages are missing or have a wrong checksum, it downloads these from the update server. The protocol used for downloading files from the updateserver is HTTP.

We are then using the library PhysFS to put the contents of the zip files on the servers list in a virtual file tree.
  • NOT a game master

witeds
Newly Registered User

Post by witeds »

the ds sprites are (8x8, 16x8, 32x8, 8x16, 16x16, 32x16, 8x32, 16x32, 32x32, 64x32, 32x64,64x64) i think unless you have sprites bigger than 64x64 it could work with the game graphically with out conversion of sprites.

could you tell me the largest sprite right now I'm just working to connect to the primary server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The reaper and its scythes with 100x100 are the largest monster I could find. There are also several monsters with 80x80 (mouboo and yeti, for example).

But considering that the DS only has a screen resolution of 256×192 (x2) I would recommend to scale everything down anyway.
  • NOT a game master

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Crush wrote:I wouldn't try the OpenGL mode on such an outdated operating system anyway.

Also, virtual box and vmware are better than bochs.
I wasn't replying to you since your post wasn't there yet.

Of course they are, but he was talking about the bochs psp port, I don't think there is virtual box for psp and I really doubt vmware will provide support for that.

BTW witeds, EasyRPG is a project that aims to recreate an editor and player for RPGMaker2000 projects, there is an early ds port of it which may help you with map and tile stuff if you plan to switch "back" to C++.

Binary+Source: http://easy-rpg.org/downloads/easyrpg-ds.zip
Info(if you can read that crazy language) http://easy-rpg.org/old-forums/showthread.php?tid=1287
http://easy-rpg.org/blog/2011/02/time-f ... /#comments
witeds
Newly Registered User

Post by witeds »

most of the DS Language is C with a bit of C++ support
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Regarding running the mana client on legacy versions of windows: I was able to run the Mana client on Windows 98 SE in a virtual machine with virtual box. But only the "portable" installation mode works. The normal installation doesn't find the user directory on windows 98.

The performance is horrible, but I blame virtual box for that, because win 98 runs terribly slow on it in general, even without running any applications.
Attachments
mana-win98.png
mana-win98.png (296.7 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
  • NOT a game master

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

awesome crush. I think I have a copy of windows 95. I managed to even Beta test by lying about my age. I'm not using my desktop for anything and plan on wiping it anyways for a fresh Linux install. I wonder how low can we go and still get it to run. I'm also going to try and see if it will run with the latest version of React OS.

I ran doom on a 386 sx-25 so I'm not to surprised that it's been ported to the DS hell even an iPod can run it. I just don't see how you expect to get something like TMW to run on such limited hardware. A DS wouldn't even run win95 even if you had an arm port if it. Saying it could run on a DS if it even could run on a typical windows 95 machine is insane. You can be a coding GOD and if the hardware can't handle it...well it's just not going to run. Most of the people telling you this have probably been programming before you were even born. They probably know what they are talking about and you might just be trying to attempt something that really can't be done. Perhaps it would easier to write your own RPG game and like crush suggested you could use TMW graphics for the game if you release it under GPL. I'll even help if you need stuff scaled down to fit on that screen. I wouldn't dive into something like this to learn C++. That language confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I'll stick to LUA scripting and such. TMW doesn't use just stranded C++ libs AFAIK. There's alot of third party libs that are used. Feel free to try thou. I'd like to see something like that pulled off. I'm sure that Nintendo might not be to happy with it but meh. IMO if you want to get a portable solution to run TMW there's a cool little gadget called a "Pandora" that's a linux based gaming machine. I haven't had the chance to get one but I'm considering ordering one to tinker with.
You might have better luck waiting for Nintendo's next gen DS with the better HW.

"Qbasic is the language i used to make my first YU-GI-OH life point calculator."
My first real program was a personal menu system that eventually had little add-ons such as a simple word processor and some simple ASCII games. Mind you this was on a Commodore Vic-20 with a tape drive. I kinda wish I would have saved that stuff. Back then there was wonderful magazine called "Computer Gazette" and it had all kinda of neat little programs you could type in and learn from. The last useful program I made was in VB 6 back in 2k for a company I worked for. Alot of us have some type of programming experience even if we're not programmers on this project. Your obviously young and have yet to learn the hard way that there are things that are "impossible" but there's always a reason why. It's not that you or anyone "can't" do it, it's that something is preventing you from doing it. In this case it would be hardware limitations.

Sorry I can't help more then offer some insight on what people have been trying to tell you but can't seem to get thru to you.
I wish you could port it to DS. That would be a wickedly awesome feat. I even think porting it to PSP would be improbable but there's people trying to do it anyways. What the hell do we know anyways. We're just some old neckbeards. Prove us wrong.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
RooO
Peon
Peon

Post by RooO »

Crush can you try if tmw works on windows 95 ?