[REQ] New crypt floor.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[REQ] New crypt floor.

Post by Merlin »

I'm working on making a new floor for the crypt since there was an issue where the tiles suggested for the floor where apparently ripped from a RPG Maker Tileset. It seems that it slipped past all of us and we all looked and even voted on what one to use. XD I could probably edit crush's roadway into a suitable tiles or even Ivan's but I've decided that I'll make one from scratch. Here's a little start to making one. I know it's absolutely horrible but I just started it and will be looking into how to make this properly and figured I'd show that I'm actually trying to do something on my own. It's alot darker then the one we were going to use. Should I lighten it up? Should all the rocks be seamless or should it show little areas between them at the corners? It's still pretty griddy but i guess it's not bad for a whole 5 mins of work for a noob like me. Please feel free to offer any suggestions or corrections.
Attachments
Cryptfloor_remake.png
Cryptfloor_remake.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Re: New crypt floor.

Post by nmaligec »

Wow!! I really like it. You shouldn't put yourself down you are doing good work for tmw. You are better at gfx than I am and your determination is inspiring me to get better too.

- It tiles with itself nicely, but the gridiness is a problem. Try and fill in the corners a bit so that it doesn't create a large and repetitive 'hole' pattern when it is tiled.
- You are right it is a bit dark, but I like lots of variants so keep one version dark. If you are using gimp you can easily lighten it with Colours->Brightness-Contrast then up the brightness and contrast until it looks like a good lighter variant.

It would be awesome is you could make a second version that tiles with the first one but looks slightly different. This could be scattered around to break up the monotonous placement of one pattern.

What I like about this is that it looks similar to the old one so it feels like nothing has been lost by removing it(but different enough for legal blabla). I can't wait for it to be done, especially if you can make a second (or third ;) ) pattern that tiles with the first!

edit:
I just noticed that if you fill the 'hole' with another stone it might get rid of the grid problem.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: New crypt floor.

Post by Merlin »

Here's a slight update of the tile and a man-made version of some type of floor tile.
Sorry about the bad attitude but I was kind upset about being called a "lamer". XD
Attachments
Cryptfloor_remake.png
Cryptfloor_remake.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?