[DIS] Shields

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Shields

Post by Wombat »

Here are two shields by Aethyra to influence the making of shields for playerset 1.5. Any use of these graphics needs to attribute Aethyra as a source. 1.5 player sprite graphics would include all additional frames that can be found in client data.

My desire would be to have our own triangle-type shield and circle-type shield, which are a mainstay in medieval fantasy settings. Other shield shape builds are also welcome.
Attachments
Buckler by Aethyra Project<br /><br />http://aethyraproject.org/
Buckler by Aethyra Project

http://aethyraproject.org/
armor-shield-buckler.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Dragon Shield by Aethyra Project<br /><br />http://aethyraproject.org/
Dragon Shield by Aethyra Project

http://aethyraproject.org/
armor-shield-dragon.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Current character is "Abolish".
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Re: Shields

Post by Angeliex »

Haha, I'm always amused when I come across my work on these forums :)

I'm not trying to stop you from using these, althrough the dragon heart shield is the symbol for Aethyra as well, so it would kind of degrade its uniqueness. Then again, there will certainly be no sympathy for a small branch, and I'll most likely be flamed relentlessly with some redundant yammer about the license and how I have no right to comment on this, so I might as well take the chance to.

The player sprite is mirrored therefore the attack stabing frames look absolutely abhorrent while a shield is equipped. I'm not sure how the new player sprites work, but if the new sprites do not follow the mirror style, there will be serious conflicts with the shields and they will appear just terribly. That's my commentary.
A pencil is an extension the arm.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I don't think they intend to use them as is. If anything I think wombat was suggesting there use as a template for further works. Would you mind if I used them as such? I don't think the players would mind some mirroring issues. I find they are happy to get anything new regardless if it isn't perfect. Nice idea to bring visible shields to the game thou. I long for the day when warriors look like warriors instead of jean-chap wearing hybrids. XD If it's your work then you have all the rights to comment on it's usage IMO.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Angeliex
Peon
Peon

Post by Angeliex »

I appreciate your understanding, but I am not really advocating anything. I'm not really active in Aethyra anymore and therefore my words should not represent the fork itself.

I'd think it'd be best for everyone if the dragon heart shield remained unique, but any other shield I've made (if any other renditions were posted), can be used as is and should not have many issues if the players do not mind the mirroring issues.

Mind you, these were created as one of my first contributions to Aethyra and as my first steps into pixel art and are not exactly quality work. I don't think they should be studied, but moreso used as a general concept. They work and actually looked pretty decent in the game.

If you're feeling really ambitious, you can use the frames left blank for 2h and bow sprites to create an idle animation, which I also tested awhile back. A slight and slow shine or glimmer in the shield might make it a bit more visually appealing, but that's just an idea.
A pencil is an extension the arm.