i would like some info on nintendo DS client projects

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: i would like some info on nintendo DS client projects

Post by Crush »

RooO wrote:Crush can you try if tmw works on windows 95 ?
I'm sorry, but the win95 support of virtual box is even worse than for 98. When I installed 95 in virtual box there were so many missing drivers that I consider it hopeless to run anything there more complex than solitaire.

But maybe someone else wants to give it a shot...
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
witeds
Newly Registered User

Post by witeds »

MerlinX420 wrote:awesome crush. I think I have a copy of windows 95. I managed to even Beta test by lying about my age. I'm not using my desktop for anything and plan on wiping it anyways for a fresh Linux install. I wonder how low can we go and still get it to run. I'm also going to try and see if it will run with the latest version of React OS.

I ran doom on a 386 sx-25 so I'm not to surprised that it's been ported to the DS hell even an iPod can run it. I just don't see how you expect to get something like TMW to run on such limited hardware. A DS wouldn't even run win95 even if you had an arm port if it. Saying it could run on a DS if it even could run on a typical windows 95 machine is insane. You can be a coding GOD and if the hardware can't handle it...well it's just not going to run. Most of the people telling you this have probably been programming before you were even born. They probably know what they are talking about and you might just be trying to attempt something that really can't be done. Perhaps it would easier to write your own RPG game and like crush suggested you could use TMW graphics for the game if you release it under GPL. I'll even help if you need stuff scaled down to fit on that screen. I wouldn't dive into something like this to learn C++. That language confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I'll stick to LUA scripting and such. TMW doesn't use just stranded C++ libs AFAIK. There's alot of third party libs that are used. Feel free to try thou. I'd like to see something like that pulled off. I'm sure that Nintendo might not be to happy with it but meh. IMO if you want to get a portable solution to run TMW there's a cool little gadget called a "Pandora" that's a linux based gaming machine. I haven't had the chance to get one but I'm considering ordering one to tinker with.
You might have better luck waiting for Nintendo's next gen DS with the better HW.

"Qbasic is the language i used to make my first YU-GI-OH life point calculator."
My first real program was a personal menu system that eventually had little add-ons such as a simple word processor and some simple ASCII games. Mind you this was on a Commodore Vic-20 with a tape drive. I kinda wish I would have saved that stuff. Back then there was wonderful magazine called "Computer Gazette" and it had all kinda of neat little programs you could type in and learn from. The last useful program I made was in VB 6 back in 2k for a company I worked for. Alot of us have some type of programming experience even if we're not programmers on this project. Your obviously young and have yet to learn the hard way that there are things that are "impossible" but there's always a reason why. It's not that you or anyone "can't" do it, it's that something is preventing you from doing it. In this case it would be hardware limitations.

Sorry I can't help more then offer some insight on what people have been trying to tell you but can't seem to get thru to you.
I wish you could port it to DS. That would be a wickedly awesome feat. I even think porting it to PSP would be improbable but there's people trying to do it anyways. What the hell do we know anyways. We're just some old neckbeards. Prove us wrong.

yea you keep saying it but i will try any ways, my plan is not to take all of tmw just make a ds client that works for it, for a ds client you don't need every thing you have on the pc do you?

and the ds dose a lot that people tend to not give it credit for doing, windows 95 is not a single program it is a platform with many programs installed and a lot run at one time so of course 95 itself wont run on the ds.

but a port of uClinux did run on the ds its maintainer stopped production there is still the source code, and on the devkit site they have opengl working for the ds to make 3d graphic games for it.
and the 3ds is out so the hard ware has changed even if i don't have it getting a working version for atleast the ds lite will make a good start for 3ds would it not?
any one who says that something cannot be done they have not tried to break boarders i will always try to go past what is said can't be done because cant is a dirty word that should not exist.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

After reading this article I believe that it is an even worse idea to create a client for the DS:
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/nintendo
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
witeds
Newly Registered User

Post by witeds »

hmm that makes things complicated but that only includes future releases from the 3ds onwards but as stated the ds light and dsi may be underpowered for such a thing so i guess this ends it as i was planing on making the client for the future of the ds not the past anyways.
any one who says that something cannot be done they have not tried to break boarders i will always try to go past what is said can't be done because cant is a dirty word that should not exist.