[CPT] Modanung's monster ideas

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

enchilado
Knight
Knight

Re: [CPT] Modanung's monster ideas

Post by enchilado »

The still frames of these look rather nice. When animated, however, they appear quite jerky and somewhat uncoordinated. I think this is largely because the shading on the legs doesn't change at all, but there is also a stiffness to the legs, as well as the tail on the Herbagressor. The Packer's tail just seems to flick between different positions, and its head (on the side frames) looks turned to the South.

The textures on both monsters also seem rather random, but they look fine.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks for your critic poison-ivy, it helps me to focus my general vision for a next move.
Your observation about legs is right, It seems I did a different bone structure without articulations on myherbagressor version, so it walks and moves very different of the original concept. Sure Packer need more details with backlegs and tail to get some body balance. Also some details as herbagressor's tail with horns, and packer's head with a fang could be included, trying to "keep" the original concept as much as possible.
My english is quite bad, so I prefer to describe my vision about next improvements with a pic..

I added other modanung's monsters as snailmander and tignakka as a possible branch, once movement issues with backlegs be finished.
A quick shot with Tignakka concept:
Last edited by pateame on 02 Nov 2011, 13:21, edited 3 times in total.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

these look great where were you when i needed monster graphics :wink: lol

keep it up!

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
pateame

Post by pateame »

After look Tignakka with more detail, It seems that side views are on 90° angle and we need 45°.
I was trying to fix those frames, and also added suggested idle/stand animation:
¿Any ideas about attack frames? I lack of imagination while trying to fix previous spritesheets in order to can continue with more ideas. I Imagine a plague of fleas caused by Tignakka (maybe some particle-effect status as poison reducing health to player,
called "parasite" status or some weird name), bites, or punches as a yeti, etc. Im Needing a clear idea to develop later.
Meanwhile, I prefer to finish the previous monsters before advance to unknown lands.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

pateame wrote:¿Any ideas about attack frames?.
What about a slap? or a headbutt? :mrgreen:
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
pateame

Post by pateame »

Thanks for ideas, I will keep that on mind next time.
Meanwhile.. some progress on Packer spritesheet:
Side views: Added idle/stand animation and some details redrawed
(head direction, tail, front legs, outline palletes, blink, hair, fang, etc).
Front/Back views: Added same details as above, but still need a idle/stand animation.
.XML and spritesheet sure will change in redraw process until get all frames done,
so I prefer not to upload them yet to check more errors on current graphics.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The head looks great now! I just noticed something else, though, which is possibly one of the things that makes the animation looks strange: its feet don't actually leave the ground when it walks. Also in one frame its mane seems to move down onto its leg, I'm not sure why that happens (should be easy to change, though).
pateame

Post by pateame »

Surely .GIF animations make the process seem easier, but repeating the same steps is quite tiring when trying to fix something.

+ Tignakka idle/stand animation: (without outlines)
+ Herbagressor: New back legs, different walk cycle, tail, head, pallete stuff.
Needing idle/stand animation, redraw attack and death frames.
Last edited by pateame on 06 Jun 2011, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I really like the job one here. For this monster, pateame, I think that the top of the head is too flat. In addition, i'd make another frame between idle position and the other ones.
pateame

Post by pateame »

Well... I haven't forgot these monsters yet. Now it's time to update longjhon:
[+]Preview animation:
---------------------------------
[+] Spritesheet 55x52:
[+] Tested XML with new values:
monster-jhon.xml
... ahhh, Have fun! :D
Last edited by pateame on 23 Jun 2011, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Ah... I hadn't even noticed that you'd updated longjhon this recently, and I was trying to improve an older version... anyway, the same still applies: the far eye being further forward than the near one makes it appear that it's turned slightly toward the viewer, and the shading is just a light line down one side of its body. Here's my progress so far on improving the standing frame:

EDIT: I just looked at the first page of this thread and noticed that you'd changed the longjhon quite a bit from Modanung's original version, which I definitely prefer.
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

i like this version, you can actually see he has 2 legs instead of one. in the sprite sheet above poison ivys redraw it looks like its one thick leg.
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

enchilado's first version is awesome!
pateame

Post by pateame »

poison_ivy wrote:I was trying to improve an older version.... Here's my progress so far on improving the standing frame:
Based on your work, new pallete and eyes changed:
I leave the old eyes for death frames to make it look a bit different when falling, Also I found interesting that "trumpet-mouth" and legs you drawed, but didn't change it at all (just because I'm lazy). ¿Are you still working on a different version?, feel free to finish it if you want.
[+] Other progress: Some outlines on tignakka frames.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12510339/sketchs/toshade.png
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Great to see you're breathing some life into these creature, pateame! Keep up the good work and make it better. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io