Remap Tulimshar and surroundings

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Remap Tulimshar and surroundings

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I'd like to remap Tulimshar and it's surroundings.
tulimshar.png
tulimshar.png (124.9 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Maps:
001: Tulimshar proper
002: sandstorm
003: south Tulimshar (farms, etc)
004: docks area
005: snake desert (no changes, save for maybe some small stuff outside walkable area)
006: mountain (no changes)
021: north of Tulimshar proper
022: south of south Tulimshar
023: never finished, can be used for something else
024: still magic school (needs remapping)
magic school and tutorial can keep their numbers (but need remapping)
041: unused
042: still tutorial area (needs remapping; basic layout can stay, but I'd like some more details and buildings)

This keeps many map contents somewhat the same. We'll probably leave the palace area unmapped for a while (black it out?). 023 and 041 can be used for other things (I'd like to look at more islands). Everyone in the affected maps (except tutorial maps) would be sent to the menhir before the server is restarted (can be done after the char-server is brought down). Characters in the tutorial area during the move would be sent to the starting point (which is in the tutorial area).

I'd like to set up a mapping server (experimental Tiled technology) so the region can be mapped by several people at the same time. When it's done, we'd break it up into the maps above.

The bazaar will be in the square. Elenore can go in the SW corner of the square. The menhir outside the government building north of the square (maybe a monument area due north of the south road).
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Remap Tulimshar and surroundings

Post by yubabax116 »

jaxad0127 wrote:002: sandstorm
Hey jax how about a quest for this map? maybe recieve sand goggles through a quest (if doable) to pass through the sandstorm map? just a suggestion :P
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

yubabax116 wrote:
Hey jax how about a quest for this map? maybe recieve sand goggles through a quest (if doable) to pass through the sandstorm map? just a suggestion :P
We already have a sandstorm map (map 002-1, actually). My proposal would somewhat change that map.
Kandiman
Novice
Novice

Post by Kandiman »

Starting a list of NPC's which will need their scripts updated to reflect the new layout in their cardinal directions for players. Will add more as I find them.

042-2: sorfina.txt
042-1: hasan.txt
001-1: gossip.txt
Last edited by Kandiman on 18 Jun 2011, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Jaxads image didn't load for me when hotlinked, so I uploaded it to the forum in case others have the same problem:
tulimshar.png
I changed mine to your attachment.
yubabax116 wrote:
That is doable. Maybe do like Legend of Zelda and have the player get lost without the goggles, always returning to Tulimshar's gate. I put the magic school just north of the sandstorm and gave them a magic gate between. I think we can do some magic plots related to the strange perpetual sandstorm.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

jaxad0127 wrote:
Crush wrote:Jaxads image didn't load for me when hotlinked, so I uploaded it to the forum in case others have the same problem:
tulimshar.png
I changed mine to your attachment.
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

I think the new map needs to stress where the major inland trade routes are.

Obviously, the city should be build upon a river, which provides one path for trade (this does not invalidate the need for wells, which provide pure water. It would be nice if parts of the bay were visible - a trading port needs to be a defensible port, both from nature and from enemies (pirate or other nations, which are often the same thing).

Also keep in mind that a river for trade is not bridgeable by medieval technology (it is wide (probably 30 tiles, a good map transition, although I recommend the other side being visible), and would have to be tall enough for ships to pass under) (although you could make it bridged by magic). There would, however, be common ferries and rafts, and possibly bridges far upstream (possibly above a fork, which means narrower halves).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

o11c wrote:Also keep in mind that a river for trade is not bridgeable by medieval technology
When you write fantasy, don't forget that you are not writing historical fiction. Liabilities with consistent technology and laws of physic are permitted in that genre.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:
o11c wrote:Also keep in mind that a river for trade is not bridgeable by medieval technology
When you write fantasy, don't forget that you are not writing historical fiction. Liabilities with consistent technology and laws of physic are permitted in that genre.
o11c wrote:(although you could make it bridged by magic).
Also, now that I think about it, this would make a stopping point (to avoid getting overloaded by too much stuff to map), and point of future expansion (construction via magic of a bridge).
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

eTHiiXx has expressed interest in remapping Tulimshar, and Jaxad is inactive.

Regardless of details of who actually ends up doing the work,
does anyone have objections to this thread being made public?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

made public and bumped for wushin's interest.