[DIS] Player-Set 1.5 Magic Frames Removal

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS] Player-Set 1.5 Magic Frames Removal

Post by Wombat »

This is a discussion on the removal of the Player-Set 1.5 Magic Frames.
Attachments
player_female_base.png
player_female_base.png (131.15 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
player_male_base.png
player_male_base.png (120.91 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Current character is "Abolish".
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Player-Set 1.5 Magic Frames Removal

Post by Alige »

We did not do that work for nothing. A little bit of work is needed. Some frames aren't so hard to make.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Drop them, one of the attack animations can stand in for it.
Ali-G wrote:We did not do that work for nothing.
The real work has barely started yet (doing the frames in every single equipment sprites)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The magic animations aren't particularly good, and as Crush said some of the attack animations will work fine. Sixteen frames less for each piece of equipment adds up to a considerable amount of time saved.
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

poison_ivy wrote:Sixteen frames less for each piece of equipment adds up to a considerable amount of time saved.
Depends on what piece of equipment you are working on. The legs, feet and head (the head's position) are taken from existing frames. If you are doing chest pieces, then yes it would be 16 extra frames. I think gloves are the same for both genders so that would only be 8 frames for this piece.

Also note that the same concept was applied to the new attack sequences as well. So only chest and hand/gloves would need significantly more frames in the new player set. Skipy put a lot of thought into it and tried very hard to minimize the extra pixel work, while at the same time trying to make the player set as fresh/varied as possible.

As for cutting the frames completely, maybe just cut it down to 1 new frame per direction. If you prefer to just reuse existing frames, then suggest a good sequence. Right now, I just don't see any frames that would work.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

nmaligec wrote:If you prefer to just reuse existing frames, then suggest a good sequence. Right now, I just don't see any frames that would work.
Any of the swing attack sequences would work as is. Waving a wand as if you are hitting the air is just as good as that superfluous meditating pose. For any kind of offensive magic it is even a lot more appropriate, in my opinion.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

Hello...

thanks for all this work until now, I really like it :)

But i have a small wish about something, what I really would like and would looks really better. Please please change the front sitting view for women. It looks so male sitting like. Tailor seat (sitting cross-legged) would be great.

Another idea could be an "away from keyboard" sit style, new people often wondering about nobody answering at town.

I googled some tailor seat front views...

My favorite:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

@ Ginaria the female sitting sitting sprites have been talked about before, here are some forum threads about it.

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... tes#p46898

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... tes#p46851

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... tes#p19328

the last one has your idea in it gin ;)

Besides can you imagine sprites sitting like that with a skirt on? :P it wouldnt be to nice lol maybe worse then it is sitting with legs open.

Yubaba
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Crush wrote:
nmaligec wrote:If you prefer to just reuse existing frames, then suggest a good sequence. Right now, I just don't see any frames that would work.
Any of the swing attack sequences would work as is. Waving a wand as if you are hitting the air is just as good as that superfluous meditating pose. For any kind of offensive magic it is even a lot more appropriate, in my opinion.
imo ....the spell frames can be used for non-target spells....the swing waving a wand would work well for spells that have a target (like a fire-ball sort of spells)....

so why remove some thing that may have uses later??

there is some room to add small things to the sheets ...like idle movement (,eye blinks ,dancing maybe) ,nothing over the top ,just simple stuff.

----------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

skipy wrote:so why remove some thing that may have uses later??
I already posted various times why.

Because it means more work to create equipment.
More work for creating equipment means that less equipment will be created.
Less different equipment hurts gameplay.
  • NOT a game master

skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Crush wrote:
skipy wrote:so why remove some thing that may have uses later??
I already posted various times why.

Because it means more work to create equipment.
More work for creating equipment means that less equipment will be created.
Less different equipment hurts gameplay.
i see your point Crush.....why not make the robe mage- only,this would cut lots of work and still have a.o.e. magic frames.....imo
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana