it's christmas time

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Yuuki
Novice
Novice

it's christmas time

Post by Yuuki »

Hello!! :o

well...

Picture says more than 1000 words :wink: (and it says much more than my noob english :oops: )

Itens:
ImageImage

Monsters:
ImageImage

Npcs:
Image Image
Fixed Santa's beltbuckle and added a harder shading ( Yeah Modanung, that shade and belt was weird :lol: )

Tiles:
Last edited by Yuuki on 07 Dec 2005, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Great work! I feel a real nice Christmas update coming. :-)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Very nice :)

But i want an bavarian nikolaus :)

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I love the NPC's, although Santa could use some more and harder shading. But the pose is and beard are really cool. :)
Oh, maybe his beltbuckle should be more gold instead of orange? A bit more like the handle cap thingy this saber maybe? It now looks like a tangerine.

I'm really enthusiastic about the tiles. They're nice... I really like their saturation. :P
But they're all very tiled and the cliff is very repetitive and straight/boring. Maybe add a diagonal side, as well as some variation tiles?
Also the bottom of the cliff looks like it was dropped on top of the landscape instead of being part of it. Have a look at Crush's cliffs where grassblades grow in front of the cliff. And then also add cliffs that have snow lying against them.

Also I never really liked straight-up cliffs, but that seems to be normal. And it makes a difference when it comes to amount of work.

Keep op the good work Neko-Mon. :)
Last edited by Modanung on 08 Jan 2006, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Good work with all of that. A Christmas event would be good to keep players interested and all.

Also a christmas tree would be cool but wouldnt fit int he main town.

Guess you could put it on a map made with your new tiles though

why not have that map ...

have it like a small camp or something... have snow covered trees all around and a christmas tree and fire in the middle. then people can gather around those or something
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

HaLLanHype wrote:Guess you could put it on a map made with your new tiles though

why not have that map ...

have it like a small camp or something... have snow covered trees all around and a christmas tree and fire in the middle. then people can gather around those or something
That was our idea, we didn't think about the fire though, nice idea, even if it looks very bad if it's not animated...
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:we didn't think about the fire though, nice idea, even if it looks very bad if it's not animated...
how about glowing coals and ashes instead? doesn't need to be animated to look good...

the cliffs look a little artificial where they meet snowy, how about adding a variant with a little snow at the bottom for those areas?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Oh well I asked neko-mon to first concentrate on achieving the objectives so we will have for sure some kind of xmas event. There will be space to add details if we get some spare time.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

yeah I was thinking that about cliffs as well

the snow is the same higher and lower ont he map and you can see that and it looks weird

maybe have little different snow up top or something to show the height
Yuuki
Novice
Novice

Post by Yuuki »

Modanung wrote:I love the NPC's, although Santa could use some more and harder shading. But the pose is and beard are really cool. :)
Oh, maybe his beltbuckle should be more gold instead of orange? A bit more like the handle cap thingy this saber maybe? It now looks like a mandarin.

I'm really enthusiastic about the tiles. They're nice... I really like their saturation. :P
But they're all very tiled and the cliff is very repetitive and straight/boring. Maybe add a diagonal side, as well as some variation tiles?
Also the bottom of the cliff looks like it was dropped on top of the landscape instead of being part of it. Have a look at Crush's cliffs where grassblades grow in front of the cliff. And then also add cliffs that have snow lying against them.

Also I never really liked straight-up cliffs, but that seems to be normal. And it makes a difference when it comes to amount of work.

Keep op the good work Neko-Mon. :)
=D I'll work on it to improve the weird things!!
(Man the school is killing me :roll: :x )

And thanx!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

The campfire sounds like a nice idea.
I did an animated torch for Cave Adventure 2.5 years ago... Maybe the top could be used for the campfire? It would need a bit of editing though.
Otherwise I think it's a nice example how animated fires could be done without particles.
I know, the bottom of the fire is a bit static, but I'm still sort of proud of it. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

yeah have a decent sized fire (maybe a large one) and have like logs around it.... (seats) that players can walk on... (do we have different height of tiles? like you can walk up on something?)
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

SNOW!

Post by Bear »

i say nows a good time to work on snow XD

weather effects that is!, i think itd be fun if we can get snow in this next release, or snowflakes @.@

If you do this now, then you just need to change a few things later on to add other weather effects!

I was thinking... would it be hard to make it snow 5 different snowflakes over and over, as in only 5 snowflake sprites going down in random areas of the screen.

And how bout some melted snowman piles @.@

Also we should think of a town based on snow
ktm
Novice
Novice

Re: SNOW!

Post by ktm »

Bear wrote:I was thinking... would it be hard to make it snow 5 different snowflakes over and over, as in only 5 snowflake sprites going down in random areas of the screen.
sprites? that'd be some pretty big-ass snowflakes... just compare them to the player model's head. just 1 or 2 white pixels per flake would be more appropriate, i think. maybe with slightly different shades.

example pics:
small flakes.
small flakes. but lots of em, and a little darker -> snowstorm
medium flakes. they look more like hail; also, too square-looking imho.
big flakes, 5x5. kinda what flakes using various sprites would look like. reminds me of hundreds of blowballs... way too big for convincing snow
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

couldent i just use photoshop to make an image with snowflakes but a transparent background so u can make the game repeat them instead of i dunno what you guys do to make snowflakes apear in games :)