Kill Stealing Problem

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Joe777
Newly Registered User

Kill Stealing Problem

Post by Joe777 »

This game has a serious problem with players waltzing up and attacking a monster someone else is already fighting. While this is ok if the players are teamed up it is not ok if the one being "invaded" does not want someone doing this and is known as "Kill Stealing". This can especially be a problem if the KSer managed to get the loot. Everyone considers this to be part of the game but i can assure you there is no part of any game that involves such an immoral action. Since players will do this no matter what it is difficult to find solutions. The best solutions unfortunately have exploitable actions to cause further problems so i am at a loss for a solution and that is why i am creating this thread. Since the game promotes teamwork by increasing exp distribution when a 2nd player hits the same monster it is difficult to prevent an outside player from attacking the same monster.

Any player you ask about this problem is going to say something like "it is all part of the game" or "just go somewhere else". Why should we buy these excuses? KSing is wrong no matter how you slice it and i hope i am not the only one out there who knows this. Please support stopping this unjust movement and make the game a better place!

(For the record if i see someone camping the spot i visit i go elsewhere. I hope others do the same!)
Joe777 - Main
UltimaJoe - Mage
HeroJoe - Warrior
RangerJoe - Archer
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Kill Stealing Problem

Post by Crush »

Most recent MMOs deal with the killstealing problem by only giving exp and drops to the first one who attacked a monster (and his party members, of course). When a monster isn't attacked for a while it again becomes free for all.

The new server Manaserv is also using this system.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Joe777
Newly Registered User

Post by Joe777 »

Oh? I was unaware of that. Good to know! I shall look into using Manaserv then.
Joe777 - Main
UltimaJoe - Mage
HeroJoe - Warrior
RangerJoe - Archer
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

Crush wrote:Most recent MMOs deal with the killstealing problem by only giving exp and drops to the first one who attacked a monster (and his party members, of course). When a monster isn't attacked for a while it again becomes free for all.

So with this system, mage has the most advantage then archers because a warrior will never beat them to the attack?
Is there more to it to make it more equal?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Crush wrote:Most recent MMOs deal with the killstealing problem by only giving exp and drops to the first one who attacked a monster (and his party members, of course). When a monster isn't attacked for a while it again becomes free for all.

It will not fix the problem, as simply on a crowded spawn some person may be able to hit first more monsters. Best solution I ever seen in MMORPGs is that the group killing gives more exp and loot is distributed randomly across the group.

Regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is a bad solution, because it allows people to force their way into other peoples parties without their consent.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Who needs consent if they both get more exp?

Regards.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Platyna wrote:Who needs consent if they both get more exp?

Regards.
The person who gets no drops and less xp because they do less than half of the damage.

(Kill-stealing is no problem between characters of roughly the same level and stats, because the person who attacks first will do the majority of the damage. Note that e.g. a mage is effectively a lower level due to not having the same stats for melee/archery as a pure melee fighter or archer)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.