Mana/TMW Development Weekly Summary

Where game and project announcements are made.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Mana/TMW Development Weekly Summary

Post by Jenalya »

This week,

- some fixes and tweaks were done on maps, graphics and scripts by alastrim, Ali-G and Wombat.
- Also the fix for the Yeti done by pateame and a newer version of the Pinkie Helmet done by ChefChelios got pushed.
- Based on the feedback I got from alastrim, enchilado, TheKandiman and other testers, I did a lot of improvements on the tutorial and got some assistance from alastrim recently.
- Ali-G and alastrim were working on the new Woodland quest.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Ho :)

Last week in the mana client, Jaxad fixed the particle effects for monsters with a z coordinates > 0.
As for me, I added the two new hi-effect-id, and critical-hit-effect-id parameters usable in the <monster><attack> tag.
(See the doc about it.)

Btw, I'm currently working on fixing offset bugs, movement handling glitches, so that the next new version will as smooth to use as possible.

Stay tuned!
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi everyone :)

The last week in mana development,

Cody brought parties support back to life on Manaserv. :)
He also fixed changing the password on it.
Crush fixed the Windows C::B compilation as we are now a C++0X project.
o11c also removed some unused code related to pinging the tA server.
As for me, I made clear in the client api that we're handling monster attack ids, and not attack types as it is two different notions.
I also added image support next to text in the button widgets. Nothing to see yet, but I'll add some example of it, soon, as well
as completing the feature based on Crush feedback, mostly.
Then, The menu bar top-right of the main screen could be downsized thanks to icons instead of text...!

More to come!
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I this week,

- alastrim fixed some issues in the Tutorial and I merged it from my personal clone into our testing repositories. TheKandiman did a spelling and grammar correction and if we don't find more things to fix it is ready. :)
- the new Woodland quest got merged into the testing repositories too and testing started. alastrim and Ali-G did more improvements on it and I added a new part of a map. Also enchilado started with a spelling and grammar correction.
- Some small fixes and changes were done by o11c, Ali-G and TheKandiman.
- another part of the reorganization of our repositories is about to happen, more information can be found here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=13195
- also there happens some brainstorming about Thermin area and what new quests, new monsters and new items to add.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Hello,

as I mentioned last week, the structure of our repositories is undergoing some changes accomplished by o11c.
- files and directories in serverdata are organized according to which server accesses them (login-server, char-server and map-server)
- Now the clientdata is a submodule of serverdata, which means - simply said - for each state of serverdata there is an associated state of clientdata.
- Converter is invoked differently and o11c did some changes on it
This reorganization required some adjustments on local configurations for everyone and also familiarizing with the new workflow.
Ali-G and o11c updated the Wiki about it, though it isn't complete yet: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/How_to_Develop

On the content side,

- alastrim and Ali-G did a lot more tweaks and fixes on the Woodland quest
- some discussions happened about future projects for Thermin
- I digged out what I did on the barbarians so far and added some story parts to it
(I interrupted that project when I worked on the GY Inn and after that on the Tutorial)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi there :)

Au menu in the Mana Development channel:

- I made the next-to-come client adapted to any square tile size. This means that new servers could possibly use the client with 16x16, 64x64, or <whatever>x<whatever> tiles.
- I also made possible to separate the dye color(s) from the dye channel used when declaring the particle file with the <particlefx> tag, just as with the <sprite> files in the animation xml files.
- Also, we, Jaxad, bjorn and me, found a convenient solution to the death sequence handling: The next client will set it to 1.5 secs long if it's shorter, but will now play it for its actual time if it's longer. This means that monsters will be able to have proper death sequences. (I especially think about bosses, here ;])
- Finally, I made the client handle the actual attack speed for the other players attacks when playing in a tA server, thanks to some piece of advice from 4144.

Manaserv:
- The server now handles again basic bare knuckle fights using the new auto attack system. I hope soon enough, along with some small equipment fixes, we will be able to recover a full fledged battle system :)

Best regards.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In this week,

- Wombat looked through the NPC scripts and replaced item id's with their names as a preparation for reorganisation of item_db
- o11c provided a script to calculate job experience based on monsters stats
- For the new Woodland quest, TheKandiman is working on the spellcheck, alastrim did some fixes on the scripting and Ali-G corrected the stats of some monsters, added their drops and fixed some maps
- Dark_Mage and Ali-G worked on making the Candle Helmet having a flame
- alastrim started on some scripting to make the evil obelisk more interesting
- Wombat and Ali-G did some fixes here and there
- Wombat and I are reviewing the content and encourage more testing for the release coming soon
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi all :)

I'll first thank the content team for the amazing work they're weekly doing.
I just feel like the game is improving on a daily basis. It's awesome :D

That said, it's my turn to make a small report about last week:

Ablu dived in and provided us some additional nice script commands for manaserv:
- the log(), and get_being_in_rectangle() were added thanks to him.

As for myself, I must say I just pushed a fix for gettext translations last week,
but kept on working on adding particle effects on equipment (nasty one),
configurable multi-logging option for Manaserv, and on the preparation of the addition of image button.
Here is a WIP preview, btw: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 51#p108851

Stay tuned :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

This week,

- alastrim, Ali-G and me did some fixes on the Woodland quest, TheKandiman finished the spellcheck
- Wombat added some NPCs on the way from the Tutorial area to the Tulimshar bazaar which provide some general informations about the game for new players and make the area more lively.
- Pjotr Orial did a fix on the cave-ruleset used for automapping
- Yubaba contributed some new music
- some minor fixes were done by Wombat, Ali-G and me

A content update is planned to happen very soon, so I merged the content of the testing repositories into the repositories used by the official server.
Related to this and the use of submodules, here is an important note for everyone who is working with a clone of the testing repositories: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=12981
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

At the beginning of this week, there was a content release.
The main new things that got in are the Tutorial and the new Woodland quest, together with many smaller changes.

During this week,

- alastrim, Wombat, Ali-G and I were taking care about the bug reports we received, thanks to all the reporters. :)
- I modified the Stranger's script, so it will be possible to ask him for dyeing a towel even if you didn't do the quest. Thanks to Ginaria for the feedback on this.
- I added the content I did so far about the barbarians to the testing repository, so we can continue work on it collaboratively.

We'd like to do content updates with a smaller amount of bugs, so we're working on establishing better testing.
Some informations can be found here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=13388

Frost, Pjotr Orial and I were working on setting up a test server, which is already in use for testing the bug fixes we made.
We also hope to find some interested testers within the community as soon as we've better figured out how the testing servers will be integrated in the development process.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi :)

This week, I've finished the work to do on image button, making it perfectly functional with the new button bar (Thanks to Poison_ivy for the graphics):
image-buttons.png
image-buttons.png (82.45 KiB) Viewed 11764 times
I'll add some other minor improvement as well, but the main thing is ready and waiting for merge approval.

I'm also waiting for some answers from the dev community before keeping up work about the multi-logging facility in manaserv, and
the particle effects on equipment. It seems that as for this summer, life happens, so let us wish everybody some nice holidays,
before resuming the hard work. ;)

To not stall this project too much, I will start to push new not-yet-reviewed functionalities in a personal clone until they're enough in shape, and finally reviewed by some back-from-the-deads dev before inclusion into the mainline.

Stay tuned!
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In this week

- there were some fixes done by Wombat, alastrim, enchilado and me
- alastrim did some changes on the battles for the new Woodland quest to make them more different and interesting
- alastrim and I worked on the content for the barbarians
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past two weeks, content development was only slowly progressing due to vacations, broken computer hardware, exam times...

- alastrim and I worked on the barbarian content.
- Pjotr Orial created Automapping rules for the Thermin cave tileset, so these caves can be made with using the Automapping feature of Tiled.
- some fixes were done by o11c, alastrim and me.

Beside of that we're trying to clarify our scripting standards:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=13653
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=13672

For planned content projects, lots of pixelart is needed and I'd like to invite everyone who's skilled in pixelart or interested to learn it to contribute. Here is a list of some of the currently needed things:
Thermin: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=12100
Barbarian Tileset: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=13479
Barbarian NPCs: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=12016
NPC poses: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=12839
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

It's been some time since there were no news from me.

I was waiting for some noticeable stuff to report :)

First of all, the mana client, server, web and mobile projects have moved to github, due to a deliberate decision from Bjorn.
The change isn't that innocent since he did it to get more useful tools to be able to review other devs changes more quickly, if I got it right, among other things.
(I'm mainly talking about the fork queue tool for those interested.)

This means that (we hope) the review process of code change should be smarter from now on.
As a first step, I hope to see the image button improvement pushed in the mainline development soon. :D

A second interesting piece of news is that I've almost finished to fix inventory and equipment handling on manaserv. This means that we are a commit or two away from having standard equipment and inventory handling back in the client.
That may sound trivial or basic, but I swear it took me some time to figure out the inner systems in there, and catch the bugs, design mistakes, and unimplemented stuff to add.

Stay tuned!
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

In the past two weeks there were done some fixes by alastrim, o11c and me and there was a restart which brought in this fixes.
This includes Lora Tay coming back from her vacations. :wink:

Frost, TheKandiman, Pjotr and I brought online our testing servers.
Development progress is still slow so don't be confused when given feedback on new content isn't replied/worked on instantly.