Testing Servers (Alpha and Beta)

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Testing Servers (Alpha and Beta)

Post by Wombat »

In an attempt to overcome many of the bug issues before they reach Platinum (aka server.themanaworld.org) we are attempting to establish several points of review. This effort is to put less stress on the server's administration and to put more responsibility in the tmwAthena development team. The end result should, hopefully, make content updates happen more smoothly on Platinum.

1. Establish testing repository clones - done

Though we've worked with testing repository clones of one type or another since I began my leadership of this project, it is worth noting that this is our first point of review. Commits to our -test clone repositories should be: Bug fixes, small alterations and small, finished, projects. For larger projects, a project developer can make a clone repository of our -test repositories in cooperation with the General Content Team. To keep these clones in check, a member from the General Content Team should have push access to the project clone repository and can review the project clone for if/when it is done.

When a project is finished, it can be merged onto the -test repositories. By "finished" it should be in its final form and at most, needs to be reviewed for bugs and copy-editing by the General Content Team collectively.

2. Establish an official alpha testing server - done (?)

The -test clone repositories are the repositories for the official testing server. Once our -test repos have been tested locally to ensure no major issues are being sent, we will update our testing server for public play-testing. We may have it operate with manual direct administration, remote administration and/or a script that will do automatic updates and restarts periodically. After the General Content Team confirms copy-editing to be complete and no bugs can be found both locally and through the testing server, we are ready to merge with the -data repository.

3. Establish an official stable beta clone server - not done

After a merge onto the -data repository, the content is almost ready for Platinum, but not quite. In an effort to ensure that the merge didn't create any major issues we will run an official stable beta server that is an exact clone of server.themanaworld.org. This stable server will not be just for testing purposes, but will operate as a true public server, capable of holding the interest of a small secondary player community. Though we'd think those that would play on such a server would be interested in play testing content before it reaches Platinum with permanent characters, there will be no overall guideline for how players should participate with this server in relation to development. We may give some benefit, such as running the content for a week on the beta server before it reaches Platinum, to encourage final testing.

The beta server may operate differently based on the administration the General Content Team decides on. Though all Platinum rules would apply, as it is an exact clone, interpretation may be different. All General Content Team members would have GM level 80 permissions, as would the server administrator. Further GMs would be decided on should an actual secondary player community exist on this server.
Current character is "Abolish".
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Testing Servers (Alpha and Beta)

Post by Jenalya »

We now have a testing server with the content of our developing repository available at
caliban.homeip.net:6901

Client updates are provided as well, so everyone can test without needing to clone any git repositories. Getting the updates the first time could take a while.
After creating a new account you can type "@gm gm" to get gm level 60 and additionally the command "@item". A list of commands can be found here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/GM_Commands
In the news.txt (the text you can read while getting the client updates) will be informations about the content that needs testing, so you shouldn't set your client to skip them if you want to read it. :wink:
But there will also be forum topics about what needs to be tested and feedback can be given there.
Edit: alastrim and I added some NPCs called something like "Debug1" which can give you skills, magic and modify your level to help you to build your character according to the content you want to test.

Edit: This on is not active at the moment. On caliban.homeip.net:6902 there is a server with the content of our main repository.
After content has passed testing on the regular test server, we'll use this for "release candidate final testing" before restarting the main TMW server.
On this server gm commands will only be available to moderators in order for everyone to have an authentic testing experience.

Thanks to Frost and TheKandiman for hosting the server and the update server. :)
Any problems with the servers (crashes, missing updates, ...) can be reported here or in irc or in a pm to Frost or argul or me.

Testing is always needed, so playing on the test servers and giving feedback on the new content gives you a possibilty to support development and help to avoid bugs. Take advantage of this opportunity to see new content as it is made and influence it with your ideas before release!
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

just pushing this thread to have more testers and better feedback before updates are released :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Yoshimura
Peon
Peon

Post by Yoshimura »

is this test for manaserv?
Dark_Mag
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dark_Mag »

Yoshimura wrote:is this test for manaserv?
Yoshimura,

When port is 6901, it's eA server... Don't spam, this small messages in every topic are very annoying...
The mana port is 9601 or something about it.

Cheers, dark
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

The testing server at caliban.homeip.net again shut down from overheating last night. I was able to reproduce the problem today even after improving airflow around the case.

I will disassemble and try to clean/service the computer later today. It will be offline for up to 2 hours. I'll then run several tests to try to reproduce the problem. If necessary, I will replace it with better hardware this weekend.

I'll announce on #tmw-dev in advance of any scheduled downtime, and will also update this post.

I sincerely apologize for these problems.

Update: I replaced the computer with a newer one on 14 October. The overheating problem appears to be solved.
Last edited by Frost on 16 Oct 2011, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
New
Peon
Peon

Post by New »

whoa it's awesome...
Mercy has been granted.
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

the server was nice...I tested the ragging skill, is it ready? because i dont find a difference when we are not having that skill :(
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Sir Chl was spawning millions of monsters around the testing server, including on top of other people. He interfered with others who were testing content.

After several warnings, a direct conversation earlier this week in which he and I discussed appropriate behavior and he agreed to behave, and after I deleted his extra accounts, he continued his disruptive behavior and decided to add obscenities.

Because of his disruptive effect on testing, his persistence, and his frequent change of IP addresses, I've added a firewall rule on the testing server that drops all traffic from his ISP at 180.193.0.0/17.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
cardmaster
Novice
Novice

Post by cardmaster »

Frost wrote:Sir Chl was spawning millions of monsters around the testing server, including on top of other people. He interfered with others who were testing content.

After several warnings, a direct conversation earlier this week in which he and I discussed appropriate behavior and he agreed to behave, and after I deleted his extra accounts, he continued his disruptive behavior and decided to add obscenities.

Because of his disruptive effect on testing, his persistence, and his frequent change of IP addresses, I've added a firewall rule on the testing server that drops all traffic from his ISP at 180.193.0.0/17.
Kids are like that when they first got their powers
In Game Name:
zack fair 199
Zackox