Tulimshar: Reloaded

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Adarias
Peon
Peon

Tulimshar: Reloaded

Post by Adarias »

Ive begun redrawing the old desert town tiles at the behest of Elven, here are the roughs and a test mockup:

Any revision suggestions besides cutting the grid repeats, adding alternate centers, and adding more tiles and objects and people? The lower left eeds the most help...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

First of all let me start by saying I really like it...
Nevertheless I have some critics.

I think some seperate tiles have too much contrast in brightness, within the tile. Also they are too sharp. Especially in the upper half of the tileset.
The dark sand should be a bit bumpy and wavy. It's simply too sharp/contrasty.
Same for the dried sand, or flag stones... whatever they are. The lines could use some anti-aliasing.

Because all the tiles have such a wide variaty in brightness and are all pretty much the same hue the whole set is just one noisy mass (bit exaggerating here).
So what I'm saying is the sub-tile contrast in brightness is too high and the overall contrast is too low.

I hope you see what I mean as well as that these things are simply because it's a mockup.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

ok, ill work on smoothing and evening out

though im not sure i agree with the color/contrast points.....the overall contrast is actually too high for me at the moment....you do realise this is just flat ground without objects or shadows? they really *should* be all the same brightness more or less, and since they are all of them either sand or sandy stone, it doesnt make sense to change the colors....it actually was my goal in making it to make them all very close, with only gentle shifts

perhaps you could do an edit of what you mean? im not so sure i follow
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The sandstone paved road kinda stands out as "pasted". The transition / "integration into dirt" could need a few gentle touches..? Now it looks (at least to me) like it's a (rubber-ish) mat rolled onto the sand and stone.
This message used to be meaningful.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

I like i like i like, not saying the old tiles were bad, but i think the main town should look better anyways :o

Also why does everyone start in a desert @.@??
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: re

Post by Modanung »

Bear wrote:Also why does everyone start in a desert @.@??
Because you gotta start somewhere.
Besides with an avarage of 20 players it would be no fun to spread the spawning.
Adarias wrote:they really *should* be all the same brightness more or less, and since they are all of them either sand or sandy stone, it doesnt make sense to change the colors....it actually was my goal in making it to make them all very close, with only gentle shifts
Maybe you're right... well, it's better to have the saturation of the tiles low then too high. :)
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Post by Jetryl »

Nice.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

well, i get your point

Code: Select all

Because you gotta start somewhere. 
Besides with an avarage of 20 players it would be no fun to spread the spawning.[/quote]

But what i meant was , why does this game start at a desert ? why not somewhere else. I believe that the atmosphere of the desert is very unique when it comes to MMorpgs, thinking that not a single one starts at a Desert.

This is a very unique approach, but will it be effective?

[/quote]
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Bear wrote:But what i meant was , why does this game start at a desert ? why not somewhere else. I believe that the atmosphere of the desert is very unique when it comes to MMorpgs, thinking that not a single one starts at a Desert.

This is a very unique approach, but will it be effective?
Who says the desert will be the place where everyone starts once the game is finished? Maybe you start in newbie-land and you can choose where to start in the real world after that... I don't think it's been decided yet. Until now it's just grown this way.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Adarias, I think I'm getting used to the colours. I'm starting to like it more. Looking forward to when the extreme sharpness is removed. :)
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

I liked the idea of beginning in a town that cater's to your proposed class type

Ive begun smoothing but i threw out both tiles on the left side because i got too fussy, and plan to replace them with a more stylized sand, stay tuned

To do with current tiles:
- continue smoothingtiles
- revamp existing sand, or create something more stylised and appealing
- examine colors, brainstorm how to improve
Expanding the tileset:
- consider most logical step for the integration of buildings, and then execute
- frame out wall tile view and layout and submit for approval (most likely copy the ones that were started before by that guy who left)
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

omg sexy!
khandy
Peon
Peon

Post by khandy »

Modanung wrote: Who says the desert will be the place where everyone starts once the game is finished? Maybe you start in newbie-land and you can choose where to start in the real world after that... I don't think it's been decided yet. Until now it's just grown this way.
Maqybe everyone should start in a small town, where they must bring in 5 rat tails before they are allowed out of the city...

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip019.html
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

WEll i took another stab trying to take things people said into consideration, if its met with approval ill start on some more tiles. Original on the left, new on the right.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

doesn't look bad. although on the map some tiles look cut off at some edges.

but there is something else that i should have been mentioned earlier:
maybe you should consider using one of the already made sand tiles as a base tile. like the one from irukards dried river tileset:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?t=917
or the original one (although i don't like it very much and i would recommend to replace it with irucards sand tile sooner or later that is far superior in my opinion)
that will make the intermission to other tilesets much easier and smoother.
don't be afraid to use the work of other people from our team.
in fact i would recommend to do so as often as possible to reach some style consistency.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.