Nard for GM

A forum for the community to suggest new Game Masters. PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Forum rules
1. Each member of the community can make a topic (poll) suggesting another person for a GM. You can't make a poll for yourself.
2. One topic per person, any duplicates will be removed and votes will be lost.
3. Each poll has to be done according to the schema (yes has to be first option and no the second):
"Do you agree for person X to become a GM?"
"Yes."
"No."
You are supposed to allow only one option per user and allow revoting.
You are supposed to pick "run for 0 days".
4. A person suggested has to collect at least 45 votes (or more) for yes, with minimum 75% for yes and maximum 25% for no (3:1 ratio).
5. A person suggested may request closing of the topic.
6. Only posts containing valid pros and cons are allowed in the threads, discussions however are not allowed. For discussions about particular case use Player Talk forums.
7. If a person collects the required votes, assuming there are free positions and no objections are raised, they'll be granted "Junior GM" rights for a certain period.
8. After training and approval from the senior GMs, the team will formally grant full GM rights and team membership.
9. If many persons will gain required voices, voice count will matter.
10. The amount of GMs to pick in certain time line will be determined by the TMW Team (Admins, GMs and developers).
11. Persons rejected due lack of free positions will be put on hold till any position becomes available (according to vote count).
12. If more than a year passes, a new poll must be open to ensure the community is still fine with the nomination.
13. Usual GM choosing criteria and guidelines still apply, persons not meeting those criteria will be rejected and will have their thread closed.
14. Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.
15. If this forum will turn into a flame war cave, people posting here will act unreasonably and will break the rules on massive scale, forum will be closed down. So use it wisely.
16. If you don't know a person suggested, it is better to find out who is s/he and what they do before voting, do not vote "no" just because you don't know someone.
17. State EXACT player name that clearly identify a person (in game or on forums - precise which one it is).
18. After a candidate receives required amount of votes, the poll is closed, a candidate reviewed by the TMW Committee and asked (or not - in case of valid objections) to become a GM.
19. You need to have at least 10 posts to participate in the polls.

Do you agree for Nard to become a GM?

Yes
48%
No
53%

Total votes: 40
Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: Nard for GM

Post by Nard »

yubabax116 wrote:I would have to vote no, my reasoning is he does not understand english as a GM should.
But other then that hes a fair player.
Yubaba, I can understand that you vote no, but not for that reason. Most of my misunderstandings with other players don't come from english, but from the way ideas are expressed. It can happen even in my own language.
I may lack about some everyday expressions, but when I have a doubt I have always said to my interlocutor that I didn't understand. Thus it can happen to every people whose native language is not English. And, now I think you cannot ask to any person even a GM to know about all English country-dependent particularities.

Now if you can quote here any case where my "limited" English practice has caused any harm to somebody, I will ask immediately to close this poll.

cordially;
Last edited by Nard on 26 Sep 2011, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

My vote will depend on this. Would you ban me if I said something in caps? Would you ban me without warning if I insulted you? Would you ban me for spamming if the server's automated system didn't catch it? Would you give a global announcement if I asked for one? Would you spawn reapers and kill everyone in town? Do you want to be a GM? Are you an active developer? Would you care about others opinions when enforcing the game rules? Will you be a gm that punishes both parties of a conflict if evidence that both are antagonistic against each-other. Would you find it acceptable that you first seek out another gm's attention when a conflict directly effects you instead of acting irrationally? How do you think you will do as a gm? Did you fill out crush's questionnaire? What would you do differently from our current GM if anything at all?
Last edited by meway on 26 Sep 2011, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

meway wrote:My vote will depend on this. Would you ban me if I said something in caps? Would you ban me without warning if I insulted you? Would you ban me for spamming if the server's automated system didn't catch it? Would you give a global announcement if I asked for one? Would you spawn reapers and kill everyone in town? Do you want to be a GM? Are you an active developer? Would you care about others opinions when enforcing the game rules? Will you be a gm that punishes both parties of a conflict if evidence that both are antagonistic against each-other. Would you find it acceptable that you first seek out another gm's attention when a conflict directly effects you instead of acting irrationally? How do you think you will do as a gm? Did you fill out crush's questionnaire? What would you do differently from our current GM if anything at all?
Meway, I have already answered to some of you questions upper in this thread. (insults, questionnaire...) but I can make it more precise.
Actually GM have two roles:
They are game moderators, rules are made to keep nice playing conditions. They discuss and decide the behaviour to have to face various situations. I would stick as closely as possible to their collective decisions as to GHP's ones.
Now, I would not ban anybody for insulting without trying to have a calm discussion first (I don't do it even for my friends). As I already said, if I have doubt I can ask for other GMs mediation, but in obvious cases i will not hesitate to apply rule. Caps use is just a shout and is not an insult, it can be worth an observation. There are GM rules concerning spamming, just as with non English speaking in public chat. I finally think that any case that is not explicitly described in the rules and causes problem should be discussed between GMs first and larger if needed (Admins or GHP).
They act as event organizers:
I would do my best to have events, at least as nice as the ones we're accustomed to, and also try to imagine new ones :)
Being a GM is not a fun thing: It is not a reward to me (except the trust testimonies from my friends). I would loose some freedom of speech, or game time for example. If I accept, it is to help this game in some way (the best I can).
Last edited by Nard on 26 Sep 2011, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Genesis_Junior
Newly Registered User

Post by Genesis_Junior »

post yes 8)
yubabax116
Warrior
Warrior

Post by yubabax116 »

please remove my post.

Cheers!
Last edited by yubabax116 on 26 Sep 2011, 14:27, edited 3 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭ ♮ ❤Quiet And Enj0:00Y The  Music ❤ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♭
Yubaba
Chicka-Maria
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Nard wrote:
yubabax116 wrote:I would have to vote no, my reasoning is he does not understand english as a GM should.
Yubaba, I can understand that you vote no, but not for that reason. Most of my misunderstandings with other players don't come from english, but from the way ideas are expressed. It can happen even in my own language.
I've known Nard in the game for maybe a year now. We chat regularly.
I'm a native English speaker and have never noticed language problems when talking with him. Like many non-native speakers, he sometimes uses less common but excellent English words like "interlocutor."

That's not to say he and I always agree; his opinions about cheese border on the heretical. Sadly, they're also well expressed.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

yubabax116 wrote:Not posting.
Due to whispers on tmw.
I regret that you are obliged to suppress your post consecutively to excessive pressure.
I can't agree with whispers pressure to have somebody remove his opinion, whatever it is.
The subject was on different interpretations of the sentence:
Nard wrote:
yubabax116 wrote:I would guessing sockpuppeting nard.
Please do :)
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I do not want anymore problems to any player about this poll. Please lock this topic.

I will not accept to be a GM unless some members of the GHP ask me and reopen this poll.

Thank you to all contributors who told their opinion whether it is positive or negative.
Thank you to all players who trust me.
The good for you is that you will not have me on your back :)
The good for me is that I can keep my freedom of speech. :)