[REQ] Barbarian Village Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[REQ] Barbarian Village Tileset

Post by Jenalya »

Hello,

as I already said here http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =8&t=12016, there are plans for a barbarian village in the snow mountains.
This will need a tileset. I think mostly fringe items are needed, because it will be used together with the snow tileset.

Here are some background information about what I made up for the barbarians to give you a feeling about them:
The barbarians are primitive people who live in the snow mountains. There culture is based on gathering what they need to survive in their harsh environment, so hunting the creatures living in the mountains and gathering food, furs and other things they need plays a very imortant role in their culture.
The Yetis originally live in higher regions of the snow mountains and a barbarian who is skilled enough to defeat a Yeti is very respected among them. But they also value the opinion of old members of their tribe.
They occasionally send members to Thermin for trading furs and handmade goods for other items.

For the tileset, I imagine some tents made out of furs and some primitive huts as their housing.
As fringe items there could be packs of furs, furs spanned on some stilts, some primitve tools and the goods they make, e.g. ornated bowls or such, fireplaces with meat on it (salmondine alraedy started on that some while ago) and whatever else fits the setting.
We could also use an indoor set for the tents/huts if someone is motivated to do that, but the setting would also work without being able to enter the housings.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [REQ] Barbarian Village Tileset

Post by Jenalya »

Reposting here the fireplace salmondine made:
(comes from here: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=30)
Attachments
sbfpsm.png
sbfpsm.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
sbfps.png
sbfps.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
sbfp.png
sbfp.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

yurt-outlines.png
yurt-outlines.png (13.34 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
Here is a perspective outline I started for a yurt-tent- still needs lots of help.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

yurtwdoor.png
yurtwdoor.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
showing small unfinished progress so enchilado can pick palettes for decorations
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I like that very much, however, if you only make these tiles, you will only get the same yurt everywhere, no bigger ones. Having different colored yurts would be a nice thing imho, as well as a second, bigger yurt.

Keep it up, that greatly helps!
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Posting this to show current yeti skull palette and perspective.
Give me some input and I'll make adjustments.
Its still really primative, but as the group makes these choices I need feedback on every step.
I also need ideas for more barbarian yurt decorations...if you have something please post it.
Lizandra suggested antlers...I thought maybe some squirrels hanging from poles by their tails in a bunch.
The plan so far...
This size yurt will be used for NPC's near Nivalis as temp shelter.
larger sizes will be made for village including a larger oval yurt for a community building.
I was requested to try this with a yeti fur theme....but if anyone has another idea post details or pixel a concept.
larger sizes up to 256x256 pixels have been discussed on irc

yeti-skull1.png
yeti-skull1.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
mock-up.png
mock-up.png (13.37 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I assume it is supposed to be a tent made of fabric, leather or pelts? In that case the lines of the roof shouldn't be straight but bent downward under their own weight.

Also, the texture on the sheets should follow their direction instead of being straight down. That would make it look a lot more three-dimensional.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Crush wrote:I assume it is supposed to be a tent made of fabric, leather or pelts? In that case the lines of the roof shouldn't be straight but bent downward under their own weight.

Also, the texture on the sheets should follow their direction instead of being straight down. That would make it look a lot more three-dimensional.
Yes it is the yeti fur animation palette.

Yurt tops stretch pretty tight from the pics I have located, but I suppose they could sag a little. I'll probably have to use one more color to make this work.

Yes,the texture should be directional, working on that part now.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Your shading is strange. The sides away from the sun should be more solid as far as texture goes. I would add wrinkles and give this a leather look. The skulls face is flat where the forehead is flawless.

This image I provided is not ideal but provides a better look on shading.
Attachments
mock-up.png
mock-up.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 6180 times
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Jenalya asked for yeti fur tent.
yeah ok, enchilado wanted to see the palette of an unfinished image so i posted it, so he could look
the skull is unfinished also, and the question still remains about palette.
But if the concept is so unpopular maybe, just post a new concept. I have no other ideas on the subject.
I don't love this image or the concept all that much...to base an entire village around it maybe it needs to be re-thought

I also have about an hour every other day to devote to This sooo... feel free to pixel yippie!

Seriously maybe a whole different concept ...wood walls with straw roof.
This is why I post an wait a loooong time to pixel any new progress...I don't waste a bunch of time.
taking the textured image and shading it really will take about 10 colors or it will look crappy like meway shows.
enchilado will say too many colors... so what next?
I'm willing to continue or shift to a different idea.

anyway it will be a few days before I make a move so please post your thoughts
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I was only trying to get at, when you shade an object before you begin to texture it, it helps.

Added some maybe fur like outline to define more of a fur texture. For the color pallet I would not go above 7 colors but recommend only 5;This is per object in your canvas.
Attachments
mock-up.png
mock-up.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

crappy update. feel free to finish this... my intention is not to step on toes.
Attachments
mock-up.png
mock-up.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i really like the texture you're doing here, the outline, not so much
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The former looks good mostly (interior stitching), but the latter is just random pixel noise.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

yeti.png
yeti.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
It's supposed to be made the fur of the yeti. which means much lighter shading.
I like the outline meway did, very much, but not the texture of the outline if that makes sense.
I think each pole needs highlights? appropriate to its shaded position.
Crush wanted to see sagging shadows between the roof poles.

So I'll say it a different way, pixeling the fully textured surface with the shading requires 10 colors maybe 11,12.
enchilado said 7 colors max....unless this changes doing a LARGE fully textured AND shaded image is a no go at this point.
if meways version with minimal texture is acceptable...it is within the color restrictions, then lets agree and perfect it.
it won't look like yeti fur, but that maybe a secondary consideration to the limited palette.

If you want a FULLY TEXTURED and Shaded version that looks like the yeti fur...it will take me some days to complete.
maybe I am slow... but again. understandably, I am not anxious to start, what would be a doomed image, until the color question is answered.
In other news my cordless mouse failed and this corded rubber ball mouse is horrible for doing art.