3 New Quests

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

amarant24
Peon
Peon

3 New Quests

Post by amarant24 »

Hey I'm Josen from the game.

I've got 3 new ideas for quests to finally bring out some of the unreleased items in the game but they aren't exactly for the faint of heart. They're meant for lvl 90 + .

The game sort of plateaus after lvl 85 and there is no more point in lvling after that considering all the quests in the game can be finished after you reach lvl 85.

Quest for the Monocle

I've recently started working and restructuring this one due to some feedback. However the gist of it is for archers. Sort of a Theft type quest stealing and killing monsters and collecting coin bags and such (sort of a Robin Hood thing which is what I'm working on changing) and giving some of the useless items in the game a purpose like the topaz, yeti claws, yeti tears and coin bags...

It'd be a lvl 80+ mission requiring to kill 100 of each type of snake as proof of your worth for getting the item (the killing snake part starts when the quest starts it shouldn't be cumulative since the start of the game) after proof you'd bring the items and get your monocle.

Quest for 90+ characters

One is for one the 10 unreleased weapons in the game. To prove your worth you'd have to kill 100+ people in pvp in the Tulimshar cave near Phaet. And after you've done that you'd have a 1/10 chance to get one of the weapons meaning no one would have the same exact weapon after the quest and since it's pvp it might take a while to do. This way Tanks get made relevant all over in the game and not just good botters.

The other quest is a strictly lvl 99 one

Requirements for the quest are having had completed all prior quests in the Mana world (Magic and graveyard inn and such except the optional ones like the tree in Tulimshar etc which is the optional way to get the astral magic set).

The quest
Mini solo Candor with 15 to 20 waves of monsters (not the sucky ones like snakes and slimes) like Yetis and Fallen and Skeletons, Zombies, Terranites (No JackO's).

Reward
Dark Talisman (Violently dumbed down version of it for a slight hp boost to put yourself ahead of everyone else in the game, also gives you bragging rights and such) This item can be bound to one per account (Sort of like the sex in the account you can only chose to be male or female and then all your alts have to be that sex in the account, except the Dark Talisman is bound to your account not the character meaning it's one per account to try to avoid the transfer and abuse of it)

One last idea for the dark talisman is for it to have a similar effect to the dark rose ... dark rose after it's used turns into a useless dark petal.
If unequipped the Dark Talisman is downgraded automatically and immediately to a simple ring or a necklace except with 0 stat enhancements.

Ideas
Views
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: 3 New Quests

Post by o11c »

amarant24 wrote: Reward
Dark Talisman (Violently dumbed down version of it for a slight hp boost to put yourself ahead of everyone else in the game, also gives you bragging rights and such) This item can be bound to one per account (Sort of like the sex in the account you can only chose to be male or female and then all your alts have to be that sex in the account, except the Dark Talisman is bound to your account not the character meaning it's one per account to try to avoid the transfer and abuse of it)

One last idea for the dark talisman is for it to have a similar effect to the dark rose ... dark rose after it's used turns into a useless dark petal.
If unequipped the Dark Talisman is downgraded automatically and immediately to a simple ring or a necklace except with 0 stat enhancements.
I strongly disagree with any major HP boost.

There is no method of preventing an item from being transferred between characters on an account or between accounts.

There is no trigger when an item is unequipped (if there was, the dark talisman wouldn't be buggy).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

The 1000 hp bonus is an idea it could be less but something at the very least to boost your hp a little or get you to 1500 max hp or 2000 max hp...

In the test servers the new Nivalis quests are still a bit difficult with a lvl 255 and all stats set at 99 2000+hp with armor and everything. Unless those quests are going to be dumbed down then we need a slight hp boost to make up for the things that are not achievable at the moment. I'm not saying I haven't beat the quest because I have but I have to sweat it out a bit.

Too much of an hp bonus I agree is unfair because a lvl 1 character shouldn't be starting the game as a lvl 60+ so that he can over power all the noobies and oldies. But an hp bonus gives the lvl 99 character some bragging rights and perks. lvl 99 characters should be rewarded for going through the entire game.
jessyb03
Novice
Novice

Post by jessyb03 »

I believe high level quest are a must... I for one love the game, but can't find much more to do now after level 90.

A 1k Hp bonus is a lot... However isn't there a way to tie this items' effect to the character's level? Like if you're level 1, the bonus you get is 1; but if your level 99, the bonus you get is in fact 99....
Just an idea really... Or just making it a +5 in the actual vitality points?
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

Like the quest in the well ... the amount of xp recieved is determined by your lvl...

Not a bad idea at all
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

About your first quest idea with the monocle, it sounds interesting but what you wrote is a bit vague. Can you give more information?
amarant24 wrote:One is for one the 10 unreleased weapons in the game. To prove your worth you'd have to kill 100+ people in pvp in the Tulimshar cave near Phaet. And after you've done that you'd have a 1/10 chance to get one of the weapons meaning no one would have the same exact weapon after the quest and since it's pvp it might take a while to do. This way Tanks get made relevant all over in the game and not just good botters.
The idea to have a quest which requires pvp is good. (I have something in my mind with pvp for higher level war magic, but since that topic is still in early concept stage and won't be realized anytime soon, it wouldn't hurt to have another quest using that.)
I don't like the idea to release ten new items at once for one single quest. I think it'd be better to have few possible rewards and use the other unreleased items for other quests.
amarant24 wrote:In the test servers the new Nivalis quests are still a bit difficult with a lvl 255 and all stats set at 99 2000+hp with armor and everything. Unless those quests are going to be dumbed down then we need a slight hp boost to make up for the things that are not achievable at the moment. I'm not saying I haven't beat the quest because I have but I have to sweat it out a bit.
Jenalya wrote: The reason I choosed fluffies is because the quest is intended to be possible for low level characters. If you play the minigame with a higher level character and drop a higher number of apples, the possibilty to get a different monster than a fluffy spawned is increased, to make it more challenging. (So e.g. a level 99 character dropping hundreds of apples might get a Yeti spawned.)
The difficulty of that quest increases with the players level and it isn't designed for levels above 99. So if you choose to test with unsuitable conditions it's nothing to wonder about that you get unsuitable results.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

The Dark Talisman itself wouldn't be used for this. As for a similar (much less powerful...) item, it'd be entirely possible have an equip script similar to the ones for GM and unreleased items that unequipped it again if you hadn't completed the quest.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

One is for one the 10 unreleased weapons in the game.
When you are referring to the weapon items listed on the wiki: please keep in mind that those aren't laying around finished and pending release. There is nothing more than an icon for them. They all need proper stats and sprites. Most of them would also be unconvincing without some new playerset attack animations. This means that the development of them is blocked by the [playerset 1.5] project. One of the many playerset enhancement projects which got abandoned just before they were finished.

When someone would finally finish that project, the content development could quickly release a ton of new weapons like different axes, longswords, polearms and so on which would greatly improve the game experience.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:When someone would finally finish that project, the content development could quickly release a ton of new weapons like different axes, longswords, polearms and so on which would greatly improve the game experience.
Well, this project won't be done before quite a while. We would need to add the 1.5 spritesheets we can make already but only use the 1.0 frames for now until all the spritesheets get done... That means that it'll be done in more than a year.
  • Halloween 2011
  • Barbarians
  • Christmas 2011
  • Balance
  • Easter 2011
  • Ancient Amulets
  • Thermin
  • Playerset 1.5
  • Crypt
I think that this is how it'll happen since we don't have any really active pixel artist ready to fix all the current spritesheets to 1.5.
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

enchilado wrote:The Dark Talisman itself wouldn't be used for this. As for a similar (much less powerful...) item, it'd be entirely possible have an equip script similar to the ones for GM and unreleased items that unequipped it again if you hadn't completed the quest.
Good point Enchi. We had a slightly interesting discussion on the IRC on how to control the item from being able to be shared as we wouldn't want to make the game unfair.

Crush wrote:
One is for one the 10 unreleased weapons in the game.
When you are referring to the weapon items listed on the wiki: please keep in mind that those aren't laying around finished and pending release. There is nothing more than an icon for them. They all need proper stats and sprites. Most of them would also be unconvincing without some new playerset attack animations. This means that the development of them is blocked by the [playerset 1.5] project. One of the many playerset enhancement projects which got abandoned just before they were finished.

When someone would finally finish that project, the content development could quickly release a ton of new weapons like different axes, longswords, polearms and so on which would greatly improve the game experience.
Sorry Crush I thought they were done completely. I'm not an artist but if someone can point me in the right direction I'd be willing to help out with the sprite sheets. I'd need to have the sheets first off so I can look at them and see what I can do. Where can I find them?
Jenalya wrote:
The idea to have a quest which requires pvp is good. (I have something in my mind with pvp for higher level war magic, but since that topic is still in early concept stage and won't be realized anytime soon, it wouldn't hurt to have another quest using that.)
I don't like the idea to release ten new items at once for one single quest. I think it'd be better to have few possible rewards and use the other unreleased items for other quests.
Jenalya I can agree to that maybe not 10 items all at once. But maybe 2 or 3 of the already finished ones, and it can be made similar to the Cindy Quest where you only have a 1/3 chance to get the wizard hat or staff... except with the new weapons instead.
I'll give more info on the monocle quest idea when I have it written down better I had to change some stuff so the purpose of it has changed as well and I'm working on making it equally interesting as the previous idea.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sorry Crush I thought they were done completely. I'm not an artist but if someone can point me in the right direction I'd be willing to help out with the sprite sheets. I'd need to have the sheets first off so I can look at them and see what I can do. Where can I find them?
The web interface of the content file repository is on https://gitorious.org/tmw/tmwa-client-data/trees/master

When you want to become a serious developer you need to learn how to use Git in the long run, but using the web access is sufficient for now.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

For the Monocle Quest!
I was thinking about a few fairies
These fairies would require a few items to prove your worth (Honor, Courage, Commitment)

The place for the quest I was thinking was the cave on the bottom of the hitchhikers mountain...

The quest would be similar to that of the black boots but dumbed down to about 3 or 4 caves in which they have a chest (which require 5 keys to open) that have the items the fairies require. I say the quest would be dumbed down but I mean that in the number of caves... The caves would have 2 or 3 waves of 3 or 4 "Desert Yeti's" After those waves you'd be able to access the chest to collect one item. That's where the courage part comes from. The Commitment part is all the arrows archers would have to waste as it is specifically made for archers (These Yeti's should be slightly slower or at the speed Yeti's where originally however the dex required should be close to that of 100 with the Mallards Eye perk, the quest should be doable but difficult for tanks with low dex) The Honor part comes in returning the items from the chests to the fairies (These items should be keepable items like 500 iron ores and 100 iron ingots that can't be spent otherwise you'd render the quest useless and unfixable if you collect the same amount of items again)
Once the items are returned the fairies grant you the monocle
jessyb03
Novice
Novice

Post by jessyb03 »

A mage would keep the ores and try the mission with an alt... A warrior would keep the ingots for more armor as well... I think that's too "abusable"... I would suggest a less "usable" item or maybe a smaller amount...
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

Any item suggestions? The quest is meant for lvl 75+ preferable 80+ and I doubt people will train alts just to get the items... but if it were possible to program a one per account type item... so if you have any alts in that account they wouldn't be able to do the quest

Btw has anybody thought about adding more spells for mages? I know they got alot already but some more summonings would be fun...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Creating a new quest-specific item which looks like an existing one but can not be used for the same purposes is trivial.
  • NOT a game master