3 New Quests

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: 3 New Quests

Post by Jenalya »

amarant24 wrote:I was thinking about a few fairies
What exactly do you mean with fairies? What's their background story? Why are the at that place? I'm sceptical about introducing a new race of beings to the mana world...
amarant24 wrote:The caves would have 2 or 3 waves of 3 or 4 "Desert Yeti's"
No. Yetis absolutely don't fit into the desert, even with changed fur color.
amarant24 wrote:Once the items are returned the fairies grant you the monocle
Is the monocle tied to the backstory in any way? Or is it just to give some item as reward? In that case I'd prefer to give the monocle in a quest in Thermin as originally planned, where it has a proper backstory.
Your quest could get a different reward instead.

The genereal idea to have some high level quest involving some monster fights near Tulimshar is in my opinion very good. Though I don' t get that part about Commitment
amarant24 wrote:The Commitment part is all the arrows archers would have to waste as it is specifically made for archers (These Yeti's should be slightly slower or at the speed Yeti's where originally however the dex required should be close to that of 100 with the Mallards Eye perk, the quest should be doable but difficult for tanks with low dex)
What do you mean with that?
amarant24 wrote:I doubt people will train alts just to get the items... but if it were possible to program a one per account type item... so if you have any alts in that account they wouldn't be able to do the quest
Many people already have lots of alts, also high level alts.
An one per account type item isn't possible I think, but there are account variables. Though I don't like the idea to allow that quest only for one character per account. How would you justifiy that storywise? From the roleplaying point of view, each character is independant from the other characters on the account.
Crush wrote:Creating a new quest-specific item which looks like an existing one but can not be used for the same purposes is trivial.
I suppose that would render the idea of testing the Honor of the character useless, because there is no temptation to run away with the items?
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

An excerpt from the pvp lvl 99 mission

I was walking in a snow-filled cave. The ground was covered with dead warriors. The fear in my body was not by the sight, but because of what would be up ahead after the corpse-filled trail. As I reached the end, there was an even larger pile of corpses and standing above them was a mighty warrior possessed by the spirit of war.
When I approached it said:
"Halt! State your name immediately!"
My body quivered in fear as I answered: "I am Kabukikooky, a mage from Tulimshar..."
Before I could continue, he interrupted and said: "Mortal! you have no business here. You look feeble and meek standing in front of my amazing powers!"
I thought whether to retreat, but I bravely replied:" I am no weakling! I have defeated many monsters, conquered many worlds; and this has allowed me to get here. To find you and stop the murdering of the innocent!"
The great warrior scoffed and laughed; his laugh made the walls of the caves tremble. I thought to myself "Such might, such confidence, Do I even stand a chance?"
He glared at me and said "If you have dared to come find me, to confront me, I will need proof of your power..."
I asked: "What do you mean "proof"?"
"Hah!" he said "Have you ever conquered the Candor arena?"
"Yes!" I quickly replied.
"More than once even!"
Finally his stare flared up as he said "I can see that you are not lying. The spoils of your battles are enough to make me acknowledge you"
"Very well then, I will share my secret for power with you if you can prove that your thirst for war is as intense as mine"
Reluctantly I accepted his challenge.
"Go and conquer 100 warriors in Phaet's arena, this will be enough for me to show you my power"
"But I warn you" his voice got low and serious "Dishonorable battles will not be accepted, only agreed duels! You shall show your worth with the honor of a true warrior!"
I went to challenge warrior after warrior. Along my path I faced off powerful warriors like Merah, Edward Elric, Graven and strangely enough someone named after a wig.
After being at an almost near death state. I carried on back to that snow town. Being at the edge, I ran past very powerful Yetis and Wolverns. I tried to be quick and evade them; being successful most of the time.
When I reached the great one I took all my remaining strength and yelled "I have returned!
He looked at me in shock and smiled "You are certainly one of the most powerful warriors I've ever encountered. You are worthy of my power."
As he walked toward me, he whispered "My secret to power lies not only in the countless hours of training or fighting, but in my weapon!"
He jumped toward me and sreams "I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!"
Our weapons clashed. Cuts after cut, swing after mighty swing. My blood on the ground mixed with his. We were an almost even match!
He couldn't believe it. How could this be happening? Where had he gone wrong?
"Impossible!!!" His disbelief made him drop his guard for an instant. As I got ready to deliver the finishing blow, I pass out. "No, this can't be" My stamina had run out. "I was so close, no. no..."
When I woke up I was in a small house. Lying next to me was the un-possessed body of that mighty warrior. As I sat on the bed, I saw a plain box lying next to me on the bed. Attached was a note that said "You have brought me hope. Your power and dedication are astounding" Inside there was a weapon. "I leave you this, my once most prized possession. You have shown me that the weapon does not make the warrior and because of that you are worthy."

As for the archer mission I've not yet thought it up completely that much is obvious. I write these quests with my wife however she gave me the idea for the one above specifically cause she's awesome.
For the item chose whatever unreleased but completed item or whatever item you guys feel like as to avoid discussion.
Keep in mind it's meant for a lvl 99 warrior mission
I can script it and send it to you guys if you like it (The scripting part might take me a while I've never done it)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I suppose this text is for concept purposes? It reads nice as short story, but npc scripts should avoid having too much text, otherwise players get bored by them.

In regards to the story, there are some inconsistenies and background informations are missing...
- How does the player get to know about that warrior, why does the player search him?

- first, the player wants to 'stop the killing'
amarant24 wrote:I thought whether to retreat, but I bravely replied:" I am no weakling! I have defeated many monsters, conquered many worlds; and this has allowed me to get here. To find you and stop the murdering of the innocent!"
but then accepts the task to kill even more people
amarant24 wrote:"Very well then, I will share my secret for power with you if you can prove that your thirst for war is as intense as mine"
Reluctantly I accepted his challenge.
- on the other hand that warrior is first presented as someone evil that needs to be stopped
amarant24 wrote:I was walking in a snow-filled cave. The ground was covered with dead warriors. The fear in my body was not by the sight, but because of what would be up ahead after the corpse-filled trail. As I reached the end, there was an even larger pile of corpses and standing above them was a mighty warrior possessed by the spirit of war.
[...]
To find you and stop the murdering of the innocent!"
but then talks about honor
amarant24 wrote:"But I warn you" his voice got low and serious "Dishonorable battles will not be accepted, only agreed duels! You shall show your worth with the honor of a true warrior!"
About the technical aspects, how would you do the graphics for the warrior? If you want him as boss fight, a new monster spritesheet is needed (or maybe the player spritesheet could be used, but that might be too understated?).
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

The player knows about the quest with small clues leading up to it. I guess the player can be exploring a cave and a whole bunch of dead bodies (NPC's) on the floor and when you speak to them they say stuff like "Ugh... must... not... go... in... there" or an NPC outside a cave saying stuff like I haven't heard of my friend he went into that cave and hasn't come back out if he's dead he died a warrior death but I can't bear the doubt any longer"
But truly how do people find out about new quests in the mana world if not for the hype of everyone in town talking about a new quest or the hype of a new door with an NPC behind it. I guess a new building can be made called the Warriors Guild or something (not an actual guild though) where there are NPC's that share their stories of their fights and battles sort of like Kafar (in the Hurnscald Bar) And one of them mentions the legend of the cave in Nivalis where a warrior spirit lives.

First the player wants to stop the killing however the warrior spirit won't fight you unless he thinks you're worthy of fighting him therefore you are asked to pvp on phaets arena and win 100 duels. Only phaets arena, Terra Cave pvp is considered unagreed pvp and a dishonest win. Once the 100 duels are won the spirit will accept your challenge to fight him (This can be in form of a boss fight the boss having a lvl = to double of yours meaning the minimum lvl of the boss will be lvl 180 because it's a mission for lvl 90+)

He is presented as Evil but really isn't he's just a warrior spirit all those that are in the floor dying or on the verge of dying went looking for a true battle but failed.

As for the boss monster sprite sheet I guess the Golden Plate armor can be switched with that of a Fallen and simply rename the Fallen to Warrior Spirit of something of the sort... (changing the Fallen armor colors to make him seem like an old hardcore Warrior)

Or you can take the basic look of any Character in the game and give him a golden plate and a golden helmet (which isn't done) and have him fight you as a boss monster. The work shouldn't be too difficult. I can make the cave (mapping) I can script it the entire conversations and stuff as for the rest there's not much I can do. I'm not a pixel artist nor a programmer. If you got good examples to point me to I'd be happy to take a look.
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

Just cause I want to see this new quest implemented ASAP I am gonna take care of most of the pain in the ass... I'm making a map for it. And I'm making the boss for it too. And I'll be scripting it as well ... Also I'll be adding a few things to the Tulimshar maps and Hurnscald maps (I hate the fact the ports don't have boats so I'll be making some)
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

amarant24 wrote:Just cause I want to see this new quest implemented ASAP I am gonna take care of most of the pain in the ass... I'm making a map for it. And I'm making the boss for it too. And I'll be scripting it as well ... Also I'll be adding a few things to the Tulimshar maps and Hurnscald maps (I hate the fact the ports don't have boats so I'll be making some)
While I really appreciate your willingness to contribute, beware that doing too much work on your own may bring you into conflict with the main Content.

You'll have more luck if you break it down into standalone pieces. Adding ships sounds like a good idea, but doesn't seem related to the rest... Hurnscald needs a better harbor, everybody knows ports are built in bays, not on peninsulas. (Hm, this might make a nicer solution for one of the things that has been bothering me about the logging camp issue - either we should move the Port to south of Hurnscald, or completely remap the areas south of Hurnscald)

If you're doing map changes you'll probably want to coordinate with Ali-G.

Where is this cave connecting? The consensus is that there aren't enough quests in the Tulimshar continent... I recall that there are some unconnected caves on maps 3 or 4...

When creating a new aboveground map you need a number reservation, but creating a belowground map is less troublesome because it uses the existing number.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
amarant24
Peon
Peon

Post by amarant24 »

I'm making the lvl 99 quest for Tulimshar although I have a Nivalis map I'm working on too...
I'd need a small tut on how to get the maps for places I'm not a programmer but I'm reading up stuff so I can figure it all out and not make a mess if anything I'll submit and let the actual dev team work on it.
What is the main content? As far as I'm concerned this is for the main content of the game it's not just a whimsical idea. I don't want to get in trouble with anyone here or in any conflicts with anybody.
My main goal is to contribute to this awesome game as there is not much left to do in the game and new quests and things get implemented way too slow. I understand no one here is getting paid therefore you guys need all the help you can get. I can suggest some ideas for getting recruit devs and stuff (to do pro bono). But only if the dev team is willing to accept it.

My idea is
My cousin is a professor at FullSail university (The one where they teach game design) over in Florida. I can ask him to give extra credit to some of his students to participate in development, coding, scripting, pixeling, etc... Not to make them leaders if not just relay some of the work to them. That way they get some experience to fill up in a resume and we get a better game. It works out for everybody. It's a win win situation.

Apart from that I won't be submitting new things randomly I'll make sure I let all the devs know and check it out. We could use a voting system here (I just hope the wrath doesn't come down too hard)

I'll be posting some pictures soon enough of the maps and quests with the scripting and stuff (the boss might take me a little longer though as recoloring and drawing take way too long)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

If you want to work on different aspects of developing, I suggest to set up a local testserver. If you're using linux how to do that can be found here: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... lop#Set_Up
o11c wrote:You'll have more luck if you break it down into standalone pieces.
I agree with that. If you need any help and advice, please ask here or on IRC and it'd be good if you let other devs know about your work on progress to increase the probability that your work actually get used in the game.
amarant24 wrote:My idea is
My cousin is a professor at FullSail university (The one where they teach game design) over in Florida. I can ask him to give extra credit to some of his students to participate in development, coding, scripting, pixeling, etc... Not to make them leaders if not just relay some of the work to them. That way they get some experience to fill up in a resume and we get a better game. It works out for everybody. It's a win win situation.
I'm very sceptical about this. As far as I know people developing for tmw always did it for personal interest and/or because they like the game and want to improve it. 'Importing' developers who doesn't know the game and who get a real life reward for participating doesn't really sound like a good idea to me.
amarant24 wrote:and things get implemented way too slow.
I'm active in developement for about ten months now and I experienced that the development has phases of bursting activity and phases of stuff moving only slowly, depending on the personal situation of the developers. I agree that we're currently in one of the slowly moving phases, but at least from my side I expect that to change in about four to six weeks.