My GFX, Devs please read.

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Fanta
Peon
Peon

My GFX, Devs please read.

Post by Fanta »

I used a mana world sprite in this banner:

Do It have copyrights? May I use it?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

(please do not see this post as an official statement. it only represents the way i see the situation)

the mana world is a GPL project. that means you may use the artwork under the terms of the GNU General Public License, too.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

yes, the GPL refers to computer programs only, but the tmw graphics are part of a computer program. that means the same terms apply to them.

that does basically mean that you may use our graphics when you allow others to use the graphics you make out of them in the same way. that means you must allow others to use your derived work when they allow others to use their derived work and so on. and you can only allow that when other people whose work you used in your picture agree with that.

but the easier way would be to track down the one who made that sprite in particular and ask him if he allows you to use his work under more lax conditions. publishing your own work (as long as it isn't based on others work) under the GPL doesn't mean that you may not republish it under other terms (dual licensing). according to the wiki the one who made that sprite is Necromus. i haven't seen him around here lately but maybe you can contact him via the email address or AIM contact in his profile.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

is that guy from mana world?

I dont remember him although i havent played for a while due to dialup
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

HaLLanHype wrote:is that guy from mana world?
He's in the NPC bitmap already, but that sprite isn't used in the game yet.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Fanta
Peon
Peon

Post by Fanta »

OK, I got that. But I'll still wait a reply from a Developer who can say If I can use or not.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

nice.. could use some mtouching up and stuff but go ahead and use it the game is GPL
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

He doesnt only use tmw sprites in his banner...

[ http://vortexonline.13.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=34 ]

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2156/vortex29fg.jpg

Btw what kind of game is it and from which game are the tilesets?
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

haha i messed with the image lOlImage
Fanta
Peon
Peon

Post by Fanta »

Matt wrote:He doesnt only use tmw sprites in his banner...

[ http://vortexonline.13.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=34 ]

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2156/vortex29fg.jpg

Btw what kind of game is it and from which game are the tilesets?
Custom, and the sprites are not in-game, I'll use RPGMaker XP Sprites or you didn't noticed that those sprites are not animated?
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Well you descriped this screenshot as ingame screenshot so i thought you'll use it ingame. And we're using this sprites too, even they arent animated.

@Tenche:
If the other graphics used in the banner arent gpled you arent allowed to modify it ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Fanta used gpl graphics. so the whole picture is gpl licensed now. we are the gnus. we will add your creative and technological distinctiveness to our own. resistance is futile. your work will be assimilated.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fanta
Peon
Peon

Post by Fanta »

OK I got it. But If I use only 1 grafic not the whole thing is GPL, only the especific grafic. It means that I can keep my custom gfx copyrighted.
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

I personally think gpl is stupid......but thats just me, the banner looks fine, but perhaps you should have a little more of your game in it? That, or do the whole thing as real artwork
Techsetsu
Novice
Novice

Post by Techsetsu »

Matt wrote:Btw what kind of game is it and from which game are the tilesets?
They look sorta Rmxp to me...
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Fanta wrote:OK I got it. But If I use only 1 grafic not the whole thing is GPL, only the especific grafic. It means that I can keep my custom gfx copyrighted.
Let me try to do an official statement here. You cannot combine our graphics with your project unless your complete project is also released under the GPL. You probably cannot release your project as GPL when you decide to use RPGMaker Sprites, which I doubt to be under a compatible license.

So your only option is to get in touch with the authors of the graphics you'd like to use, and get explicit permission to use them under different terms than the GPL.

Some people think this is one of the stupidities of GPL, I happen to think it's one of its strengths as it helps spreading the freedom. Speaking from an ethical standpoint, why would we allow you to use, modify and redistribute our graphics without restrictions, if you do not allow us to do the same with yours?