[DIS] Pixel art tools

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

I think MS Paint is just terrible... tried Gimp?
Yeah. It's really pretty overrated. Nice because it's free, but overrated.
Does Paint even have shortkeys?
No, all my keys are of equal size and stature across all programs.
Yeah it has a few, but nothing luxurious.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim wrote:
I think a program just has to fit with the person. Some people like PSP better then PhotoShop.
Whether Gimp is overrated or not, I definately think it's way better then MS Paint. But like I said above, the program has to fit with the person.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

There's also Paint.NET, some kind of attempt at an open source Photoshop clone. Haven't tried it myself, but I've yet to hear anything bad about it.
Techsetsu
Novice
Novice

Post by Techsetsu »

Ultim wrote:
How is it overrated?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

paint.net is more an attempt to make a "better paint" then a "substitute for photoshop". i got it, i tried to use it, and came to the conclusion that gimp is far superior. paint.net hasn't got a any features gimp hasn't but lacks a lot of features gimp has. handling multiple images at the same time is also a pain with paint.net because of the single document interface.

when you are searching for a lightweight drawing program and you are sick of paint then give paint.net a try, but when you are searching for a real professional image manipulation program that has a lot of features and is free: gimp is the better choice.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

well tho i havent been here for a while this thread caught my eyes and after reading thro it i just had to post!

Rotonen i cant still thank you enough for introducing me to TileStudio.
for graphical ***** Pshop is indeed a great tool, for bending pictures to show something totaly different then what it is photoshop is really great... for making tiles .... you dont use a bazooka to kill an ant...

Tilestudio (for Windows users, with Wine for Linux) is a simple yet extremely useful program to make textures and tiles. for characters i would go with something more of a layer oriented program like gimp or Pshop since its alot easier (for me anyway) to work with moving objects in layers for animation perspective.

after checking out i really _really_ wish i could try Idraw but all the buttons makes confused already -_-
aaah well its late might be that >_> and ooh well probably something you get after time.

So all i can say is for making tiles get TileStudio and try it, i tell you its awesome how they tile it up for you while you work with the same tile and all the tiles change after everytime yuo change something, easy to notice when you missplace something or want to make a tile while using the borders of the to transcede to the next tile so they "stick" together... if you get what i say -_-

200 thumbs up for tilestudio :)

*thanks again rotonen!*
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

btw mac users if you wana use Gimp or whaetver go to darwinports.com/ and install Darwin ports app then go to Graphics selection on the side navigation and find gimp then follow the intrructions to install
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Tenche wrote:btw mac users if you wana use Gimp or whaetver go to darwinports.com/ and install Darwin ports app then go to Graphics selection on the side navigation and find gimp then follow the intrructions to install
What you're saying is to follow the instructions on the Gimp website, right?
http://gimp.org/macintosh/
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Pixel art tools

Post by Saphy »

Gimp is most useful on OS with a proper window management system. For any large scale project, you would need virtual desktop, ability to make toolbar/palette topmost, maybe auto shading/hiding of windows, and wacom tablet if you are drawing in freehand. Or if you want to be fancy, Beryl or Compiz with multiple monitors! It is understandable that people using MS Windows found Gimp difficult to use thanks to Windows' half assed window manager (does it even have one? :P).

[edit]fixed typo[/edit]
Last edited by Saphy on 20 Mar 2008, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Gimp is my main tool, but once I got the Wamoo tablet I have issues with Gimp, stalls and I have to wait 30 secs before works again, even with Gimp recommendations about the settings Gimp-Wamoo set up.
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

AxlTrozz wrote:Gimp is my main tool, but once I got the Wamoo tablet I have issues with Gimp, stalls and I have to wait 30 secs before works again, even with Gimp recommendations about the settings Gimp-Wamoo set up.
You meant Wacom tablet? I never have any problem with it, all I need to do is to change my xorg.conf... wait, what OS are you using?
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Windows :(

A crappy IBM R50 old laptop with just 256Mb ram, heh
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

AxlTrozz wrote:Windows :(

A crappy IBM R50 old laptop with just 256Mb ram, heh
I see. I don't know how GIMP works in Windows, but considering that you have only 256MB RAM, are you using Windows 98? On the other hand, an old laptop like that ought to use Linux. :D
AxlTrozz
Knight
Knight

Post by AxlTrozz »

Well I made it work with windows XP tweaked almost just to the shell, heh, so runs good, but the darn tablet freeze from time to time :(
Dawn
Novice
Novice

Post by Dawn »

Well I use Gimp but I have no idea how to use it!! :x
*scribbles on a piece of paper*
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: